Old September 18th 03, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal

Default Private roads

"HP" wrote in message

If you take a borough like Haringey then a large percentage of Road are not
adopted roadways... all the estate Roads of Housing estate Roads built after
1960 are private

You could be barred from using them, they are permissive roads only to gain
access to Council Houses. If you buy a house on an estate the Council grant
you specific rights of way over the estate roads

If anyone rembers the Old West Green LT garage in wood Green ( used by BT
until 1990,s) the road was adopted up to the garage but owned by LT from the
garage onward. This road now serves Houses in Willow walk N22, The next Road
Milton Road N22 in totally private half owned by the owners either side ( so
if you want somewhere to park in Wood Green park on the West side of Milton
Road, The Council Estate CPZ on Milton Road does not apply)

Old September 18th 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal

"IOOA" wrote in message

"HP" wrote in message

If you take a borough like Haringey then a large percentage of Road are

not
adopted roadways... all the estate Roads of Housing estate Roads built

after
1960 are private

You could be barred from using them, they are permissive roads only to

gain
access to Council Houses. If you buy a house on an estate the Council

grant
you specific rights of way over the estate roads

What is the legal position about cars that are abandoned and/or untaxed on a
private, unadopted road? Are they still classed as "the public highway" for
the purposes of needing a tax disc and for getting Police Aware stickers and
being towed away?

I ask this because a car was abandoned on the verge of my road which is
unadopted. Police enquiries (my next door neighbour is a policeman)
established that the car had not been taxed for at least five years (after
which time details apparently disappear off the PNC). We thought we were
going to have real problems but the car mysteriously vanished again and
hasn't been seen since. My neighbour wishes he'd seen it drive away because
he was dying to nick the driver for having no tax as soon as it got onto the
main road...

Old September 18th 03, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:02:14 +0000, Martin Underwood wrote:
hasn't been seen since. My neighbour wishes he'd seen it drive away because
he was dying to nick the driver for having no tax as soon as it got onto the
main road...

Unless he was en-route to an MOT, you don't need a tax disc then.
Old September 18th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal
df df is offline

The Todal wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of signs recently declaring roads to be private. What

does
this mean?

It means that it is not adopted as a public highway by the local highway
authority (usually the local council) but is owned by the residents or the
freehold owner of the land where the houses have been built.

Am I allowed to drive down it?

Yes, unless there is a sign telling you "residents only" in which case you
would be trespassing but nobody would be likely to sue you because you

could
easily be visiting a friend who lives there. But if you regularly drove

down
it as a short-cut they might begin to notice you and take your number and
sue you.

But how can they trace your number if we are all protected on the data
protection act?

Near me, there is a private road where an electronic sign suddenly
lights up and displays your registration number, which is a bit unnerving.

Are you by chance near Moor Park?

daveF

Old September 21st 03, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal

"HP" wrote in message

On that particular private road, I think there must be some form of
acknowledged right of way for the public.
I used to live in that area and have been using that alley for almost
twenty years without any complaints.

Do rights of way over private land apply to vehicles or only pedestrians?