Old December 8th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail NOT making connections

In message , at
16:01:51 on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Brentwood is the first station in Essex on that line, as I recall.

Correct. And as the only station in Essex which wouldn't have fast
trains to Stratford [1], they would be particularly hard done by.

That's the current situation I think.

[1] This is probably not true.

Wildly untrue. None of the stations between Shenfield and Southend have
fast trains to London, for example.

Old December 8th 08, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 8, 8:15*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
16:01:51 on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:

Brentwood is the first station in Essex on that line, as I recall.

Correct. And as the only station in Essex which wouldn't have fast
trains to Stratford [1], they would be particularly hard done by.

That's the current situation I think.

*[1] This is probably not true.

Wildly untrue. None of the stations between Shenfield and Southend have
fast trains to London, for example.

It's true if "fast" means "non-stop from Shenfield". They all have
trains that go non-stop from Shenfield, and some non-stop from
Billericay.

Brentwood is currently only served by trains that do all stations off-
peak and substantial number of stations in the peak. It wouldn't be a
change to get a similar service under Crossrail. It's the only
station in Essex (current boundary ...) not to have non-stop trains
even to Stratford, but then it's the sort of station that non-stop
trains don't stop at, so not really surprising.
Old December 8th 08, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:01:51
on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:
Brentwood is the first station in Essex on that line, as I recall.

Correct. And as the only station in Essex which wouldn't have fast trains
to Stratford [1], they would be particularly hard done by.

That's the current situation I think.

[1] This is probably not true.

Wildly untrue. None of the stations between Shenfield and Southend have
fast trains to London, for example.

Really? The next train to leave Prittlewell, the 2048, calls all stops to
Shenfield, then Romford, Stratford and Liverpool Street, taking 16 minutes
to get from Shenfield to Stratford - which i'd consider fast. Would you
not? Perhaps you'd call this semi-fast? This illustrates the
terminological difficulties we recently touched on in another thread!

tom

--
blackguard, coward, git, guttersnipe, hooligan, ignoramus, liar, rat,
swine, stoolpigeon, and traitor
Old December 8th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:01:51
on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:
Brentwood is the first station in Essex on that line, as I recall.

Correct. And as the only station in Essex which wouldn't have fast trains
to Stratford [1], they would be particularly hard done by.

That's the current situation I think.

[1] This is probably not true.

Wildly untrue. None of the stations between Shenfield and Southend have
fast trains to London, for example.

Really? The next train to leave Prittlewell, the 2048, calls all stops
to Shenfield, then Romford, Stratford and Liverpool Street, taking 16
minutes to get from Shenfield to Stratford - which i'd consider fast.
Would you not? Perhaps you'd call this semi-fast? This illustrates the
terminological difficulties we recently touched on in another thread!

Although if you'd said "between Fenchurch Street and Southend", you'd have
nailed me, of course.

tom

Old December 8th 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:03:04
on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Essex, IG1 1DD

It would be equally correct to write:

Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Outer Mongolia, IG1 1DD

No, because it makes no sense.

Neither of them are correct. Both of them would get delivered correctly.

tom

Old December 8th 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 8, 8:41*pm, MIG wrote:
[...]

I was expressing that badly. I am getting at it not having trains
that go non-stop to Stratford from no further out than Shenfield. But
really this boils down to it being the only station in Essex (current
boundary) that isn't further out than Shenfield.
Old December 8th 08, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
20:46:04 on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Essex, IG1 1DD
It would be equally correct to write:
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Outer Mongolia, IG1 1DD

No, because it makes no sense.

Neither of them are correct. Both of them would get delivered
correctly.

One has additions which are helpful (to the public if not the Post
Office's automatic sorting machine), the other is comedy.
Old December 8th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:41:36 on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, MIG remarked:

Brentwood is the first station in Essex on that line, as I recall.

Correct. And as the only station in Essex which wouldn't have fast
trains to Stratford [1], they would be particularly hard done by.

That's the current situation I think.

*[1] This is probably not true.

Wildly untrue. None of the stations between Shenfield and Southend have
fast trains to London, for example.

It's true if "fast" means "non-stop from Shenfield".

That isn't a useful definition of "fast" in this context.

They all have trains that go non-stop from Shenfield, and some
non-stop from Billericay.

Some trains, perhaps. I think one an hour misses Romford.

Brentwood is currently only served by trains that do all stations off-
peak and substantial number of stations in the peak. It wouldn't be a
change to get a similar service under Crossrail.

But I remember it when most of the Brentwood trains were semi-fast.

It's the only station in Essex (current boundary ...) not to have
non-stop trains even to Stratford,

Only if non-stop means "stops every station as far as Shenfield, then
has one or two stops". (Which is true of many stations on the Colchester
line as well as the Southend line).

but then it's the sort of station that non-stop
trains don't stop at, so not really surprising.

Semi-fasts worked well in the past - when Gidea Park was the "edge of
London" as far as stoppers was concerned.
Old December 8th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
20:43:55 on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
None of the stations between Shenfield and Southend have fast trains
to London, for example.

Really? The next train to leave Prittlewell, the 2048, calls all stops
to Shenfield,

And you call that "fast"?? Sheesh.

Old December 8th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Essex, IG1 1DD

Yes, but it's still the address of the London Borough of Redbridge.

Which is in Essex.

Letters addressed to:

Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London Borough of Redbridge, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Nevernever Land, IG1 1DD

....will all get to the same place. (For some reason a lot of my eBay traffic
has come from Richmond-upon-Thames and I've sent to customer supplied
addresses for "Surrey", "London" and "[no county entry]". All have arrived
at the same rate.)

It's true that Post-towns for an address may not be in the same county as
the address - for example, some villages in Bucks have "Henley" (Oxon) as
the post town, but the village is still in Bucks.

Yes because of where the mail goes via. But the Royal Mail dropped the
requirement for the county to be included back in 1996 when they switched
over their systems, and they're fine whether you use the administrative
county, the traditional county, the ceremonial county, the postal county, a
made up county or nothing at all.

There is a strange situation in Surrey I think in that some of their
administrative offices are not in the region that they administer (ie
Kingston).

Some of Surrey's County Council offices are in the Borough Of Kingston, an
area they no longer administer.

A hangover from the creation of Greater London. There seem to have been
umpteen schemes over the years for relocating to Woking but nothing ever
seems to come of them.