Old December 8th 08, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail NOT making connections

Letters addressed to:
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London Borough of Redbridge, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Nevernever Land, IG1 1DD

As will 128, IG1 1DD

I've never ever include ranges of numbers in the address, and cannot
conceive of any logic (except vanity) for their inclusion.
--

Andrew
http://www.wordskit.com/

"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z.
Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." ~ Albert Einstein

Old December 8th 08, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Salmon" wrote:
As a matter of interest, where did 'IG' come from? In my view, its
derivation is the least obvious of all the postcodes. I can work out all
the other slightly obscure ones e.g. SP=Salisbury Plain, DG=Dumfries &
Galloway etc., but the only suggestion I've ever heard for IG is Ilford &
Gants Hill, which seems unlikely.

IL had probably been stolen by somewhere else.
There's a few weirdities around in postcodes.
Bristol is BS, which I always felt was a tad unfair.

Old December 9th 08, 01:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London Borough of Redbridge, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Nevernever Land, IG1 1DD

...will all get to the same place.

In Essex

Do I live in Essex? I'm just down the road from Ilford.

Old December 9th 08, 01:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew Heenan wrote:

I know nothing (and could care less) about governmental 'requirements' -
whether they 'required it' or not, it has been superfluous since the
seventies.

I suspect the 1996 change merely codified the day to day reality of the
previous thirty-odd years.

I believe it was more down to database changes. The county, whilst not
essential, is useful for decoding addresses mangled by handwriting. Also
128, IG1 1DD style addresses are vulnerable to people getting the post code
wrong. I've known of several businesses who only discovered the post code
they'd given out for decades is wrong when they tried to generate directions
on multimap.

Old December 9th 08, 01:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Not all of Middlesex - Spelthorne was put into Surrey and the postal
counties never updated to that. But I agree it only adds to confusion.

And the Potters Bar part of Middlesex was given to Hertfordshire (which
meant that the boundary between Barnet and Potters Bar went from having
Hertfordshire on the south side only to having Hertfordshire on the north
side only).

However this one did have the addess updated, one of the few of the Greater
London changes that was followed.

Old December 9th 08, 01:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Redbridge, London, IG1 1DD
Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, London Borough of Redbridge,
IG1 1DD Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, Nevernever Land, IG1
1DD

...will all get to the same place.

In Essex

Do I live in Essex? I'm just down the road from Ilford.

Are your stilettos white?

Old December 9th 08, 01:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Andrew Heenan wrote:

And I fail to see how it helps anybody else, especially in and
around London, when several Essex, Kent and Surrey addresses (not
to mention 100% of Middlesex), are actually part of Greater London.

Not all of Middlesex - Spelthorne was put into Surrey and the postal
counties never updated to that. But I agree it only adds to
confusion.

And the Potters Bar part of Middlesex was given to Hertfordshire
(which meant that the boundary between Barnet and Potters Bar went
from having Hertfordshire on the south side only to having
Hertfordshire on the north side only).

I wonder if any "Welcome to Hertfordshire" signs were removed from their
poles and refitted to the same poles facing the other way?

Old December 9th 08, 02:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Do I live in Essex? I'm just down the road from Ilford.

Are your stilettos white?

I never wear such things!

Old December 9th 08, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:02:22 on Tue, 9
Dec 2008, Andrew Heenan remarked:

Town Hall, 128-142 High Road, Ilford, IG1 1DD

As will 128, IG1 1DD

I've never ever include ranges of numbers in the address, and cannot
conceive of any logic (except vanity) for their inclusion.

It's mainly for the convenience of people walking down the road looking
for No 144, and counting front doors. In some cases it'll be because a
site spread from (say) No 132 in both directions, and people with the
old address are helped by the new front door saying more than just "No
128".