Old December 10th 08, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Spooks Underground

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 21:17:33 on Tue,
9 Dec 2008, Recliner remarked:
In the Spooks story, this was an old Russian (pretending to be American)
bomb, placed with a sleeper. And it was in a briefcase, not a suitcase.

I suspect that there's only so far you can miniaturise a nuclear bomb.
You need a certain mass of the fissile material (presumably enriched
uranium), plus various other essential components, including shielding
and conventional explosives.

The "Uranium" part seemed to be inside a stainless steel globe the size of
a tennis ball.

The only thing that may have got smaller in recent years is the
electronics, if any.

And possibly the battery - it seemed fully charged even after being buried
for 20 years.

I was a bit surprised that, after quite a big bang (happily without the
fallout), London Bridge station was carrying on as usual - there was even a
bloke sweeping the floor in the background. Otherwise a wholly realistic,
almost documentary feel to the programme!

MaxB

Old December 10th 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 10, 10:09 am, "Batman55" wrote:
I was a bit surprised that, after quite a big bang (happily without the
fallout), London Bridge station was carrying on as usual - there was even a
bloke sweeping the floor in the background. Otherwise a wholly realistic,
almost documentary feel to the programme!

Indeed. It was also interesting to see the inside of the FSB london HQ
with its panoramic windows opening out onto city airport giving anyone
outside full view of whats going on, not to mention the free reign its
agents have to wander around london shooting and sniping at people
without being spotted by a single plod (who were no doubt too busy
nicking congestion charge dodgers).

B2003

Old December 10th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:09:04 on
Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Batman55 remarked:
I was a bit surprised that, after quite a big bang (happily without the
fallout), London Bridge station was carrying on as usual

The bottom of the escalators was Charing Cross, Jubilee Line, of course.
Was the top of the escalator shot (through the locked grill) genuinely
at London Bridge?

- there was even a bloke sweeping the floor in the background.
Otherwise a wholly realistic, almost documentary feel to the programme!

Especially the part where they couriered the briefcase from Grosvenor
Square to "London Bridge", then down the escalators and defused, in
about five minutes
Old December 10th 08, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

On Dec 10, 10:09 am, "Batman55" wrote:
I was a bit surprised that, after quite a big bang (happily without
the fallout), London Bridge station was carrying on as usual - there
was even a bloke sweeping the floor in the background. Otherwise a
wholly realistic, almost documentary feel to the programme!

Indeed. It was also interesting to see the inside of the FSB london HQ
with its panoramic windows opening out onto city airport giving anyone
outside full view of whats going on, not to mention the free reign its
agents have to wander around london shooting and sniping at people
without being spotted by a single plod (who were no doubt too busy
nicking congestion charge dodgers).

Yes, that bit probably was authentic...

Old December 10th 08, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Dec 10, 10:09 am, "Batman55" wrote:
I was a bit surprised that, after quite a big bang (happily without the
fallout), London Bridge station was carrying on as usual - there was even
bloke sweeping the floor in the background. Otherwise a wholly realistic,
almost documentary feel to the programme!

Indeed. It was also interesting to see the inside of the FSB london HQ
with its panoramic windows opening out onto city airport giving anyone
outside full view of whats going on, not to mention the free reign its
agents have to wander around london shooting and sniping at people
without being spotted by a single plod (who were no doubt too busy
nicking congestion charge dodgers).

The Met and BTP would be nicking the camera crews following them around -
surely today's priority?

Paul S

Old December 10th 08, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 10, 10:23 am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:09:04 on
Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Batman55 remarked:

I was a bit surprised that, after quite a big bang (happily without the
fallout), London Bridge station was carrying on as usual

The bottom of the escalators was Charing Cross, Jubilee Line, of course.
Was the top of the escalator shot (through the locked grill) genuinely
at London Bridge?

From what I remember of charing cross the main escalator to the
jubilee line didn't have a curved corridor leading to it - it joined
almost directly with the passageways leading to the northern and
bakerloo. But there may have been a 2nd escalator somewhere that I
never used.

B2003

Old December 10th 08, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Dec 10, 10:09 am, "Batman55" wrote:
I was a bit surprised that, after quite a big bang (happily without the
fallout), London Bridge station was carrying on as usual - there was even
bloke sweeping the floor in the background. Otherwise a wholly realistic,
almost documentary feel to the programme!

Indeed. It was also interesting to see the inside of the FSB london HQ
with its panoramic windows opening out onto city airport giving anyone
outside full view of whats going on, not to mention the free reign its
agents have to wander around london shooting and sniping at people
without being spotted by a single plod (who were no doubt too busy
nicking congestion charge dodgers).

B2003

You used to be able to stand on Prince Regent platform and watch the
aeroplanes (if you like that sort of thing) until they stuck this building
up blocking the view. It is quite isolated and nice to see it is completely
empty! No doubt the landlord was glad of the rent, even if it was in
roubles.

MaxB

Old December 11th 08, 05:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Did anybody else see all the London Underground stuff in Spooks
last
night?

Oh yes! I took great interest in noting the continuity errors.
Yes, I _know_ it's entertainment, and not factual, but when did
the Bakerloo line go to "London Bridge"??? (I suspect it was
actually filmed at Aldwych).

--
MatSav

Old December 11th 08, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:13:22 on
Thu, 11 Dec 2008, MatSav remarked:
I took great interest in noting the continuity errors.
Yes, I _know_ it's entertainment, and not factual, but when did
the Bakerloo line go to "London Bridge"???

At what point was it suggested that it did? (I must have missed it).

(I suspect it was actually filmed at Aldwych).

The majority of the filming was at Aldwych and Charing Cross (Jubilee
Line).

The worst error (a plot hole rather than continuity error) was arriving
at the Charing Cross platforms, complete with original signage, when
they were supposed to be at London Bridge.