London Banter

-   -   Waterloo gateline (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7349-waterloo-gateline.html)

Matthew Dickinson December 12th 08 09:10 PM

Waterloo gateline

The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

The gates have now been switched on,but are not in use yet.
The ticket machines have been fitted with a black rectangular pad
which I think is a smartcard reader.

The peak hour subway has now been closed until 'further notice' for
installation of the gateline there.

Batman55 December 12th 08 10:03 PM

Waterloo gateline

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote in message
The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

The gates have now been switched on,but are not in use yet.
The ticket machines have been fitted with a black rectangular pad
which I think is a smartcard reader.

The peak hour subway has now been closed until 'further notice' for
installation of the gateline there.

I had to use the gate on Platform 19 on Thursday!

MaxB

[email protected] December 12th 08 10:07 PM

Waterloo gateline

On Dec 12, 11:03*pm, "Batman55" wrote:
"Matthew Dickinson" wrote in message

The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

The gates have now been switched on,but are not in use yet.
The ticket machines have been fitted with a black rectangular pad
which I think is a smartcard reader.

The peak hour subway has now been closed until 'further notice' for
installation of the gateline there.

I had to use the gate on Platform 19 on Thursday!

MaxB

I had to use Platform 18/19 gates last week - believe they were
activated early that week.

The Platform 20 signage is also now in place - any ideas when the
platform will be in use?

Michael R N Dolbear December 13th 08 12:21 AM

Waterloo gateline

wrote

On Dec 12, 11:03*pm, "Batman55" wrote:

I had to use the gate on Platform 19 on Thursday!

I had to use Platform 18/19 gates last week - believe they were

activated early that week.

I used them about 1300 on Wednesday (10th Dec '08) and judging by the
number of 'helpful' staff they had just been switched on.

Congratulations, BTW, to the ticket staff at Richmond who asked whether
I had a Freedom pass before letting me buy a ODTC with Senior Railcard.

Is there such a thing as a Off-peak Single ? I noticed that the
boundary zone 6 extension was an Anytime Single which seems strange
given the ODTC itself was Off-peak

--
Mike D

sweek December 13th 08 07:38 AM

Waterloo gateline

It is switched on and it still seems to be causing quite a few
problems. I may be wrong here but are the gates working in both
directions at the same time? That's what it looked like the last few
days to me. They really need to make sure that people from 17/18 exit
via platform 19 as we almost didn't make our trains due to the high
number of people trying to get off via the small number of gates at
17/18.

Duncan December 13th 08 08:03 AM

Waterloo gateline

In article 51cff96c-24a0-4cc1-b500-09d23f112817
@q36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com, says...
It is switched on and it still seems to be causing quite a few
problems. I may be wrong here but are the gates working in both
directions at the same time? That's what it looked like the last few
days to me. They really need to make sure that people from 17/18 exit
via platform 19 as we almost didn't make our trains due to the high
number of people trying to get off via the small number of gates at
17/18.

There is an article in the current SWT e-Motion magazine which suggests
that the gates aren't bi-directional:

"Controllers will switch the direction of the gates to make more
available for passengers coming into or out of the station, depending on
the time of day. ?In the morning rush, when we have more than 40,000
people leaving the station in one hour, most gates will be in exit
mode,? says Peter Hurst. ?The new gate line should smooth the passenger
flow, especially at peak times.?

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWT...Story/_Issue28
_InsideStory_pg2.htm

I expect that the automatic wide gates will be bi-directional though
based on other stations.

Duncan

Roland Perry December 13th 08 10:15 AM

Waterloo gateline

In message 01c95cc0$991a8ca0$LocalHost@default, at 01:21:36 on Sat, 13
Dec 2008, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

Is there such a thing as a Off-peak Single ?

Depends on the route. I've found them to be less prevalent near London.

There isn't for Richmond to London.

No Name December 13th 08 10:39 AM

Waterloo gateline

wrote in message
On Dec 12, 11:03 pm, "Batman55" wrote:
"Matthew Dickinson" wrote in message

The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

The gates have now been switched on,but are not in use yet.
The ticket machines have been fitted with a black rectangular pad
which I think is a smartcard reader.

The peak hour subway has now been closed until 'further notice' for
installation of the gateline there.

I had to use the gate on Platform 19 on Thursday!

MaxB

I had to use Platform 18/19 gates last week - believe they were

activated early that week.

The Platform 20 signage is also now in place - any ideas when the

platform will be in use?

When do they plan to install gates for the Waterloo & City?

Paul Corfield December 13th 08 11:20 AM

Waterloo gateline

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:39:58 -0000, wrote:

[waterloo]

When do they plan to install gates for the Waterloo & City?

You don't need them at Waterloo as Bank is gated and there are no
intermediate stops. I'd also say with confidence that it is impossible
to gate Waterloo W&C safely anyway.
--
Paul C

Mr Thant December 13th 08 11:33 AM

Waterloo gateline

On 13 Dec, 12:20, Paul Corfield wrote:
You don't need them at Waterloo as Bank is gated and there are no
intermediate stops. *

There's ungated access to all other lines, or is that not a worry?