Old December 17th 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Coffee & ITSO

You can now buy coffee in London with an ITSO compatible card.

see http://www.squidcard.com/coffeerepublic.html

This card is also being adopted by GMPTE for their smartcard.

Old December 17th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 17, 11:43*am, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
You can now buy coffee in London with an ITSO compatible card.

seehttp://www.squidcard.com/coffeerepublic.html

I can't help but think that this is what the big hole that calls
itself Visa payWave should have been?

Neil
Old December 17th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:43:57 -0800, Matthew Dickinson wrote:

You can now buy coffee in London with an ITSO compatible card.

see http://www.squidcard.com/coffeerepublic.html

This card is also being adopted by GMPTE for their smartcard.

I've had a pay pass enabled mastercard for some time now but I've not
found anywhere that accepts it.

According to Mastercard loads of places in London accept it though!

peter
Old December 17th 08, 06:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17 Dec, 18:38, naked_draughtsman
wrote:
I've had a pay pass enabled mastercard for some time now but I've not
found anywhere that accepts it.

According to Mastercard loads of places in London accept it though!

It appears they're going for rollout by stealth. Eventually one day
everyone will have wave and pay cards via natural replacement, and
then they can think about widespread deployment to retailers.

Old December 17th 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
I've had a pay pass enabled mastercard for some time now but I've not
found anywhere that accepts it.

According to Mastercard loads of places in London accept it though!

It appears they're going for rollout by stealth. Eventually one day
everyone will have wave and pay cards via natural replacement, and
then they can think about widespread deployment to retailers.

Or it will crash and burn like the previous attempts at e-money.

At least this time they have the sense not to be trying to charge the user
for the card

tim

Old December 17th 08, 06:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:43:57 -0800, Matthew Dickinson wrote:
You can now buy coffee in London with an ITSO compatible card.

see http://www.squidcard.com/coffeerepublic.html

This card is also being adopted by GMPTE for their smartcard.

I've had a pay pass enabled mastercard for some time now but I've not
found anywhere that accepts it.

According to Mastercard loads of places in London accept it though!

I remember when Visa's "payWave" system launched last year (the first
card being the all-in-one Barclaycard "OnePulse") there was talk of
initial limited acceptance in a few places like shops in Canary Wharf.
So I was rather surprised that, having seen a payWave terminal in a
swanky newsagents in Canary Wharf, I then found one a few days later
in a pretty rough-round-the-edges off licence in New Cross - and yes
they said a few people had already paid that way.

Incidentally, I assume that the Visa "payWave" and Mastercard
"PayPass" systems are compatible, in that a payment terminal in a shop
can handle both Mastercard and Visa cards?

Regarding the original post - very interesting about the ITSO-based
'sQuid card', though I need to do a bit of reading to decipher
everything that's going on here, what with the GMPTE agreement to
trial it and also Bolton council's involvement.

And as Neil has already said, in a sense this is similar to what Visa
payWave offers (as well as Mastercard PayPass) - and I'm sure there
are coffee establishments that accept those RFID cards. That said I
haven't yet come across a payWave or PayPass card that is prepaid -
i.e. one that you can top-up (as you now can with a few prepaid debit
cards) - at the moment the payWave and PayPass cards are being offered
by to the higher-ish-end of the market. The sQuidcard people appear to
hope that they can tap in to a far wider market than that, e.g. kids.

Lastly there were once plans for London's Oyster card to act as an e-
money system as well (i.e. to enable holders to buy low value items
not just pay for fares), but these got shelved back in 2006 - here's
an article about the plan being ditched...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...tcard_shelved/

The aforementioned piece doesn't however touch on the issues of TfL
effectively having to act as a bank and the burden of the associated
regulation that would ensue if this plan was to go ahead, which I have
read elsewhere was a significant factor in the plans being dropped.
Given the possible security issues that now surround the MiFare
Classic smartcard (which Oyster uses), this is perhaps just as well.

Anyway, when it comes to buying low value items (apart from local
fares where Oyster is a boon), I've never had any particular issues
with using cash! From Mondex onwards, cashless payment systems for
small purchases seems to have been regarded as the holy grail (see all
the notions of cashless payment by mobile or 'm-payments') - I wonder
if it isn't just technology desperately looking for a use...
Old December 17th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:40:14 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

[itso smart system branching out]

Anyway, when it comes to buying low value items (apart from local
fares where Oyster is a boon), I've never had any particular issues
with using cash! From Mondex onwards, cashless payment systems for
small purchases seems to have been regarded as the holy grail (see all
the notions of cashless payment by mobile or 'm-payments') - I wonder
if it isn't just technology desperately looking for a use...

Take a look at the now very wide spread of uses and companies involved
in Octopus in Hong Kong. Also look at the interesting way the "card" is
marketed.

http://www.octopuscards.com/consumer/en/index.jsp

I think we have a very long way to go to get near this sort of
widespread use. I shall be getting an Octopus in a week's time and this
time I might well be tempted to use it for something other than travel
just to see how convenient it is.
--
Paul C
Old December 17th 08, 09:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway Paul Corfield wrote:
Take a look at the now very wide spread of uses and companies involved
in Octopus in Hong Kong. Also look at the interesting way the "card" is
marketed.

What is it with the aquatic names? Oyster, Squid, Octopus, Goldfish?
Mine's a Wildebeest card, please.

Theo
Old December 17th 08, 09:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17 Dec 2008 22:01:03 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

In uk.railway Paul Corfield wrote:
Take a look at the now very wide spread of uses and companies involved
in Octopus in Hong Kong. Also look at the interesting way the "card" is
marketed.

What is it with the aquatic names? Oyster, Squid, Octopus, Goldfish?
Mine's a Wildebeest card, please.

To be fair I believe Hong Kong was there first. Anything to due with
"eight" is considered auspicious by the Chinese so Octopus makes sense
in that context. Everyone else has simply followed their lead (or not!).
--
Paul C
Old December 17th 08, 10:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote

Anyway, when it comes to buying low value items (apart from local
fares where Oyster is a boon), I've never had any particular issues
with using cash! From Mondex onwards, cashless payment systems for
small purchases seems to have been regarded as the holy grail (see

all
the notions of cashless payment by mobile or 'm-payments') - I wonder
if it isn't just technology desperately looking for a use...

I paid all I had, £1.17, for a large coffee the other day 'cause the
guy hadn't change for £10.

If you haven't had problems with "exact money only" and "no change
given" you must carry about a fair bit of cash. Hence the schemes for
parking and parking meter payment with mobile phones ?

What we haven't got is an easy method for micropayments, less than £2
say and especially over the phone and over the net.

--
Mike D