Old May 16th 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Don't have coffee before riding the L.A. Metro Gold Line.

In message
Mojo wrote:

In London, as far as I know, there are only two Undergound stations in
the central area with what we call a toilet (bathrooms in the UK are
where you have a bath or shower), and those are Baker Street and
Farringdon.

I'm sure I've seen toilets at Canary Wharf (Jubilee Line) too. Down the
escalators from the main entrance and on the left. I'm sure I saw them
there a few years ago, though they may be staff only or they may now be
closed after a certain incident, though I've never checked since - the
toilets in the adjacent shopping areas are probably nicer.

There's a general shortage of public toilets in this country. Local
authorities don't want the bother, hassle and with the gays, the legal
entanglements. And probably they really can't get the staff. There are
honest reasons for not having toilets underground: underground space
is very expensive and the stuff has to be pumped UP.

Michael Bell

Old May 17th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 16 May, 23:03, Michael Bell wrote:
There's a general shortage of public toilets in this country.

Albeit some other apparantly developed countries barely appear to
acknowledge the concept of public toilets, needy people presumably
diving into cafes etc. in order to discharge their business.

--
gordon

Old May 18th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
It is my understanding that in Germany, at least in some places, pubs and
restaurants get a subsidy from the local authority to make their toilet
available to the general public.

This is what Waltham Forest is doing.

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash
Old May 18th 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
It is my understanding that in Germany, at least in some places, pubs and
restaurants get a subsidy from the local authority to make their toilet
available to the general public.

This is what Waltham Forest is doing.

The Albanian/Romanian* cafe at the end of my street being one of them.

* Not quite sure which, but they certainly aren't Italian as they
claimed to me when I asked.

Old May 19th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:52:36 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

It is my understanding that in Germany, at least in some places, pubs and
restaurants get a subsidy from the local authority to make their toilet
available to the general public. Or maybe it was part of their planning
consent or something. Can't remember.

It is notable that, in the Netherlands, most establishments have a
sign up stating that the toilets are available to the public on
payment of EUR 0.50. This contrasts somewhat to the UK when they are
normally signed as being for customers only.

I have wondered if one could actually make a profitable enterprise out
of providing good-quality public toilet facilities at a slightly
higher price than the standard 20p. There are examples elsewhere -
the "McClean" chain in Germany being a good one, albeit mostly found
in stations.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old May 19th 07, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Neil Williams
writes

It is notable that, in the Netherlands, most establishments have a
sign up stating that the toilets are available to the public on
payment of EUR 0.50. This contrasts somewhat to the UK when they are
normally signed as being for customers only.

There are, though, an increasing number of councils that have a
"Community Toilet Scheme" under which members of the public can use the
facilities in local shops and pubs without making a purchase - Richmond
was the first and others in London include Waltham Forest and a limited
pilot scheme in Camden (Kentish Town).

Here in Richmond, which now has such an arrangement in more than 60
shops, cafés and pubs, the owners of premises participating in the
scheme get a fee of about £600 per year, plus stickers to put on the
window, and report that, far from being a nuisance, it tends to bring in
more passing trade (as it were)
--
Paul Terry