Old December 17th 08, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default london_from_above_at_night.html

This URl needs no introduction...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._at_night.html

Old December 17th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

This URl needs no introduction...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._at_night.html

Very nice. I think No 5 is Blackfriars (No 4 is of course St Mary_ Axe).
Anybody know 6 and 13?

MaxB

Old December 17th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Dec, 20:30, "Batman55" wrote:
Anybody know 6 and 13?

From the comments:
"6 - Is Apex Corner, the junction of the A1 and A41. The A1 is the
longest road in the UK connecting London with Edinburgh, while the A41
goes to Birkenhead, on the opposite bank of the Mersey to Liverpool.
While both are still major roads, they have long since been superseded
by motorways for those travelling longer distances."

"13 - This looks like a west facing view of the junction betwen the
M25, a ring road circling London, and the M11. The latter connecting
London with Stansted Airport and Cambridge. And is also the way to my
parents, which is the only reason I recognize it!"

Old December 17th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 17 Dec, 20:30, "Batman55" wrote:
Anybody know 6 and 13?

From the comments:
"6 - Is Apex Corner, the junction of the A1 and A41. The A1 is the
longest road in the UK connecting London with Edinburgh, while the A41
goes to Birkenhead, on the opposite bank of the Mersey to Liverpool.
While both are still major roads, they have long since been superseded
by motorways for those travelling longer distances."

"13 - This looks like a west facing view of the junction betwen the
M25, a ring road circling London, and the M11.

East-facing view. You can just make out Hobbs Cross Road.

Old December 17th 08, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:30:22 -0000, "Batman55"
wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in message

This URl needs no introduction...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._at_night.html

Very nice. I think No 5 is Blackfriars (No 4 is of course St Mary_ Axe).

Yep.

Anybody know 6 and 13?

6 is Apex Corner, 13 is junction 27 (with the M11).

Regards,
Chris

Old December 17th 08, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

This URl needs no introduction...

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._at_night.html

Very pretty & the best place to view London must be from an
aircraft,however if you happen to be walking those mean streets alone at
night don't forget to take a gun.

Old December 17th 08, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -----------------------------------------------

****.
Old December 18th 08, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Dec, 21:14, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 17 Dec, 20:30, "Batman55" wrote:

Anybody know 6 and 13?

From the comments:
"6 - Is Apex Corner, the junction of the A1 and A41. The A1 is the
longest road in the UK connecting London with Edinburgh, while the A41
goes to Birkenhead, on the opposite bank of the Mersey to Liverpool.
While both are still major roads, they have long since been superseded
by motorways for those travelling longer distances."

You cheater! I has been trying to fathom it out from the lane markings
- I started off on the wrong foot though because I was initially
working on the basis that "TOTT" was Tottenham, though once I'd seen
the other marking of A1N I was struggling to see how it fitted
together, given that it wasn't a roundabout on (or more to the point
just off) the North Circular. I saw something that at first looked
like E&C but I knew it couldn't have been Elephant & Castle. Then I
figured out the TOTT wasn't Tottenham but Totteridge, and the E&C was
in fact more likely to be EDG for Edgware.

So I did thin it might be Apex Corner, but for some reason I had it in
my head that said roundabout had five roads leading into it,when it
has four, so I started wondering if it was somewhere further out.

Anyway, er, enough stream of conciousness babble from me, instead let
me contribute an enquiry about the naming of Apex Corner. Some guy had
a website about roads that in fact went by the very name of Apex
Corner - unfortunately it appears to have largely fallen off the web,
but this page remains, and appropriately enough it is about the Corner
from which his site took its name...
http://www.btinternet.com/~roads/whyapex.html
....unfortunately his take on the rationale behind the naming of Apex
Corner was pretty thin. Does anyone here have a better theory, or
indeed actually know the definitive answer at all?

Also interesting to note that the actual roadway of the roundabout
goes by the name of "Northway Circus"...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=192750&ar=N
....so it seems that this is a junction with a bit of an identity
crises.
Old December 18th 08, 01:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Also interesting to note that the actual roadway of the roundabout
goes by the name of "Northway Circus"...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=192750&ar=N
...so it seems that this is a junction with a bit of an identity
crises.

Like Savoy Circus/Western Circus in East Acton.

Old December 18th 08, 02:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 02:34, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Also interesting to note that the actual roadway of the roundabout
goes by the name of "Northway Circus"...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=192750&ar=N
...so it seems that this is a junction with a bit of an identity
crises.

My spelling is at crises point, and when I say crises I mean crisis.

Like Savoy Circus/Western Circus in East Acton.

It's marked as Savoy Circus on a map - well on Streetmap at least...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...0&y=180500ar=N

....is it Western Circus on the signs there then? And more to the
point, where exactly is the purported Circus, or was this location
once host to a long gone roundabout? I realise there is a roundabout
of sorts as traffic coming off the westbound A40 that wishes to head
northbound has to go literally round a block (Old Oak Lane, East Acton
Lane, Oal Oak Common Lane), so is that the Circus?

And why on earth aren't there any Circuses at the Elephant?