Old December 18th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default london_from_above_at_night.html

Mizter T wrote:

It's marked as Savoy Circus on a map - well on Streetmap at least...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...0&y=180500ar=N

...is it Western Circus on the signs there then? And more to the
point, where exactly is the purported Circus, or was this location
once host to a long gone roundabout?

Lots of circuses do not contain roundabouts... I'm not sure if they all did
once.

I realise there is a roundabout
of sorts as traffic coming off the westbound A40 that wishes to head
northbound

.... or southbound traffic that wishes to head west...

has to go literally round a block (Old Oak Lane, East Acton
Lane, Oal Oak Common Lane), so is that the Circus?

No, and that's not a roundabout either, because traffic looping around the
north corner has to give way.

Old December 18th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 13:57, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

It's marked as Savoy Circus on a map - well on Streetmap at least...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...0&y=180500ar=N

...is it Western Circus on the signs there then? And more to the
point, where exactly is the purported Circus, or was this location
once host to a long gone roundabout?

Lots of circuses do not contain roundabouts... I'm not sure if they all did
once.

No you're quite right, and actually I think it was simply a name for
places where many roads met up. No need for complex traffic junctions
when everything was horse (or indeed human!) driven.

I realise there is a roundabout
of sorts as traffic coming off the westbound A40 that wishes to head
northbound

... or southbound traffic that wishes to head west...

Yes, I wasn't sure about the junction.layout but of course that
follows.

Old December 19th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Mizter T wrote:

On 18 Dec, 02:34, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Also interesting to note that the actual roadway of the roundabout
goes by the name of "Northway Circus"...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=192750&ar=N
...so it seems that this is a junction with a bit of an identity
crises.

Like Savoy Circus/Western Circus in East Acton.

It's marked as Savoy Circus on a map - well on Streetmap at least...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...0&y=180500ar=N

...is it Western Circus on the signs there then? And more to the point,
where exactly is the purported Circus, or was this location once host to
a long gone roundabout? I realise there is a roundabout of sorts as
traffic coming off the westbound A40 that wishes to head northbound has
to go literally round a block (Old Oak Lane, East Acton Lane, Oal Oak
Common Lane), so is that the Circus?

And why on earth aren't there any Circuses at the Elephant?

Or Baker Street.

tom

--
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky,
about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even
Old December 19th 08, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, John Rowland wrote:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200..._at_night.html

I rather like number 11 - Charing Cross station looks like some sort of
monstrous spider, poised to run over the bridge and devour the South Bank.

tom

Old December 19th 08, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

And why on earth aren't there any Circuses at the Elephant?

It's Sarf Lunnon, innit? No circuses there. Or have I got it wrong?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 19th 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

And why on earth aren't there any Circuses at the Elephant?

It's Sarf Lunnon, innit? No circuses there. Or have I got it wrong?

What sort of Englishman forgets Saint George!

Old December 19th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Dec, 15:46, "John Rowland"

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

wrote:

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

And why on earth aren't there any Circuses at the Elephant?

It's Sarf Lunnon, innit? No circuses there. Or have I got it wrong?

What sort of Englishman forgets Saint George!

I thought of St George actually but UK Streetmap and Multimap don't
seem to recognise it. I guess their search algorithms get confused by
"St".

So, like all good rules it is proved by its exception.

Is there really a rule about no circuses in South London? Along with St
George's Circus, I can think of Royal Circus, Culling Circus, York Circus,
Charleville Circus and Queens Circus.

There be no such rule!

And when it comes to Circuses of the big-top variety, there have been
plenty - for example the (rather upmarket) Moscow State Circus was on
Blackheath recently - and I've even been to see a few of their shows
too!

Not sure where the nearest one has set up to the Elephant & Castle
though (in recent years at least) - perhaps Peckham Rye Common is the
closest place.