Old January 10th 09, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default DLR to Woolwich set to open this Saturday, 10 January

Plenty of other geeky types walking around with video cameras.

Producing such things as http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDhMNaWFfw

And my efforts at:

Video: DLR travelling from Woolwich Arsenal to King George V
http://www.transportimages.com/galle.../mov04189.html

Video: DLR travelling from King George V to Woolwich Arsenal
http://www.transportimages.com/galle.../mov04182.html

Photo: DLR 34 at Woolwich Arsenal
http://www.transportimages.com/galle.../dsc04185.html
http://www.transportimages.com/galle.../dsc04183.html

Keith Spink
Transport Images (http://www.transportimages.com)

Old January 10th 09, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
On Jan 10, 10:24 am, Abigail Brady wrote:
Journeyplanner claims so.

I will test it later today.

It was (and I even had a legitimate reason for using it!)

Very exciting ride in the tunnel under the Thames; much better than
the ride to Bank.

Not sure if it was just the particular journeys I made today, but travelling
from Woolwich Arsenal to King George V took over a minute longer than
travelling from King George V to Woolwich Arsenal.

It was also good to see that many locals with kids were taking the ride
across the river and back again.

Old January 11th 09, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:52:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 10, 10:24 am, Abigail Brady wrote:
Journeyplanner claims so.

I will test it later today.

It was (and I even had a legitimate reason for using it!)

Very exciting ride in the tunnel under the Thames; much better than
the ride to Bank.

Some confusion at Woolwich Arsenal. I touched out at the DLR exit to
the mainlane platforms and then looked for a ticket machine or
similar, couldn't find one, found the exit for the mainline platforms
and then tried to touch out. Didn't work, of course (my travelcard is
z1234), so I had to plead to be let out by the people manning the
gateline. Then I got my WA-boundary zone 3 ticket and was on my
way...

Don't understand your ticketing problems given you had a Z1-4
travelcard. Woolwich Arsenal is in Zone 4 so there was need for any form
of extension ticket for NR or DLR. Trying to do two exits in a row at
the same place would cause a reject at the second exit attempt.

I assume there is a street entrance for the DLR I was supposed to exit
at so I could then walk on the street to the NR ticket office. I bet
they'll have lots of people making the same mistake I did, though.

There are two entrances from what I can tell from plans and photos. I
shall be toddling off shortly to take a look.
--
Paul C

Old January 11th 09, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jan 11, 12:37 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
Don't understand your ticketing problems given you had a Z1-4
travelcard.

Oops, that was a typo, meant Z123.

--
Abi
Old January 11th 09, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11 Jan, 12:37, Paul Corfield wrote:
There are two entrances from what I can tell from plans and photos.

There's an escalator heading west that takes you to one entrance
building by the town centre. There's another escalator heading east
that takes you to the other entrance building next door* to the NR
station entrance (only a short block west of the first entrance), and
this floor also has a footbridge over the NR line to the far NR
platform. East of the two escalators there's a set of stairs taking
you up to a floor that's level with the nearside NR platform, and in
turn has stairs up to the footbridge and exit level. Finally, there
are lifts at either end of the platform that take you up to the two
different entrance buildings.

It seems rather extravagant. They seem to have placed a very high
value on building the station a little further west to connect to the
town centre, rather than in the cutting alongside the railway station
(the tunnel portal is even further east) and having the entrance
there.

(* -ish. There's a listed building between them)

Old January 11th 09, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11 Jan, 14:13, Abigail Brady wrote:

On Jan 11, 12:37 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

Don't understand your ticketing problems given you had a Z1-4
travelcard.

Oops, that was a typo, meant Z123.

OK, that makes much more sense.
Old January 11th 09, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 10 Jan, 23:52, " wrote:

On Jan 10, 10:24 am, Abigail Brady wrote:

(snip)

Some confusion at Woolwich Arsenal. *I touched out at the DLR exit to
the mainlane platforms and then looked for a ticket machine or
similar, couldn't find one, found the exit for the mainline platforms
and then tried to touch out. *Didn't work, of course (my travelcard is [z123]),
so I had to plead to be let out by the people manning the
gateline. *Then I got my WA-boundary zone 3 ticket and was on my
way...

It would seem that the ticket gates at WA haven't therefore been
configured to be 'tolerant' enough - at Stratford one can get off a
DLR train and touch-out on the standalone readers and then again to
get through the main ticket gates and exit the station and the system
doesn't have a problem with it - in that scenario the first 'touch-
out' would have been unnecessary but totally understandable,
especially for passengers unfamiliar with the station, so the system
is configured to accept someone doing this (as it should).

I assume there is a street entrance for the DLR I was supposed to exit
at so I could then walk on the street to the NR ticket office. *I bet
they'll have lots of people making the same mistake I did, though.

From what I've read the new entrance is also gated - it wouldn't make
a great deal of sense if it wasn't! That said until very recently at
Paddington one could get on and off the H&C line platforms without
passing through the ticket gates, but that was something of an
exception because of the layout of the station.
Old January 11th 09, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 11, 3:48*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 10 Jan, 23:52, " wrote:

[...]

From what I've read the new entrance is also gated - it wouldn't make
a great deal of sense if it wasn't! That said until very recently at
Paddington one could get on and off the H&C line platforms without
passing through the ticket gates, but that was something of an
exception because of the layout of the station.

This is inconsistent with the other DLR interchange at Greenwich,
because if you don't touch out at (badly sited) pad near the DLR
platform, there is no barrier or touch-out facility at the main
station exit.
Old January 11th 09, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11 Jan, 16:29, MIG wrote:
This is inconsistent with the other DLR interchange at Greenwich,
because if you don't touch out at (badly sited) pad near the DLR
platform, there is no barrier or touch-out facility at the main
station exit.

I think what it means is that the NR station's ticket barrier isn't
programmed to do PAYG and rejected Abigail's Z1-3 Travelcard. Since
the DLR has its own ticket barrier and exit in the vicinity of the
station, there's no need to go through the NR station to get out from
the DLR. This seems as good a way as any of reminding people PAYG
isn't usable on NR.

Old January 11th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Jan 11, 4:47*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 11 Jan, 16:29, MIG wrote:

This is inconsistent with the other DLR interchange at Greenwich,
because if you don't touch out at (badly sited) pad near the DLR
platform, there is no barrier or touch-out facility at the main
station exit.

I think what it means is that the NR station's ticket barrier isn't
programmed to do PAYG and rejected Abigail's Z1-3 Travelcard. Since
the DLR has its own ticket barrier and exit in the vicinity of the
station, there's no need to go through the NR station to get out from
the DLR. This seems as good a way as any of reminding people PAYG
isn't usable on NR.

This makes more sense than it rejecting a double touch, but it's now
consistent with Greenwich and inconsistent with Stratford ...

All would be solved in general if the DLR paid more attention to the
siting of pads, but I don't know if they are missable at Woolwich.