Old January 11th 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default DLR to Woolwich set to open this Saturday, 10 January

In message
"Peter Masson" wrote:

wrote

I now has he correct desinaion, bu he clock says 00:00.

There's something wrong with your t.

Too much sugar...

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old January 11th 09, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11 Jan, 16:47, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 11 Jan, 16:29, MIG wrote:

This is inconsistent with the other DLR interchange at Greenwich,
because if you don't touch out at (badly sited) pad near the DLR
platform, there is no barrier or touch-out facility at the main
station exit.

I think what it means is that the NR station's ticket barrier isn't
programmed to do PAYG and rejected Abigail's Z1-3 Travelcard. Since
the DLR has its own ticket barrier and exit in the vicinity of the
station, there's no need to go through the NR station to get out from
the DLR. This seems as good a way as any of reminding people PAYG
isn't usable on NR.

That's a very interesting interpretation, one that hadn't crossed my
mind - I simply though it was the result of sloppy programming.

I have to say that *if* this is the case then it actually sounds like
a fairly good way of avoiding problems, particularly of people trying
to get in to the station whilst attempting to use Oyster PAYG for
travelling on the NR trains.
Old January 11th 09, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12 Jan, 00:27, Mizter T wrote:

On 11 Jan, 16:47, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 11 Jan, 16:29, MIG wrote:

[...]

[Managed to send my post before I'd finished it...]

Of course this will hopefully just be a temporary situation, given
that Oyster PAYG should be coming to NR by the year's end.

I haven't yet been to WA so I don't know how well this hypothesis fits
in with the station layout. However when I do get down there I'll be
sure to try and touch-in or touch-out on the ticket gates in the NR
side of the station.
Old January 11th 09, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11 Jan, 17:31, MIG wrote:

On Jan 11, 5:20*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 11 Jan, 16:54, MIG wrote:

This makes more sense than it rejecting a double touch, but it's now
consistent with Greenwich and inconsistent with Stratford ...

What happens at Stratford?

I meant that, although all three stations are different, at Greenwich
and Woolwich you can't end your DLR journey at the main station exit,
but have to end it before leaving the DLR area, whereas at Stratford
you can end your DLR journey at the main NR/LU exit.

And at Stratford you can end your journey twice - at the standalone
reader near the end of the DLR platforms, and again at the main gates
out onto the street. You don't need to, but the system is tolerant of
you so doing, because (going back to a past thread) the readers within
the gateline are 'interchange readers'.

(Indeed I have previously proposed that one would be able to touch-in/
out on every 'interchange reader' within Stratford station with no ill
effects, but I still have to put that to the test!)

All would be solved in general if the DLR paid more attention to the
siting of pads, but I don't know if they are missable at Woolwich.

As I recall, they're located at the exits from the DLR station
building on to the NR platforms. Since there are escalators that take
you straight to the DLR station exit gatelines, you wouldn't normally
pass them unless you deliberately headed for the NR platforms.

Is this the first/only DLR gateline in the system, ie a gateline
that's not already there for LU? *Does it also work as an exit gate
for NR tickets if you head out that way?

Yes, it would appear so. On another forum a comment was made of
Woolwich being the first DLR gateline, which immediately got shot down
with mentions of the gatelines at Bank, Canning Town, West Ham and
Stratford - but the more nuanced point that got missed was that it was
the first DLR operated gateline. It would seem most bizarre if it
didn't accept NR tickets, but I dare say that many of those who made a
journey especially so as to see the station were either using Day
Travelcards or Oyster PAYG so this element may not have been tested
out by anyone who's likely to report back here!
Old January 11th 09, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 11 Jan, 18:23, " wrote:
On Jan 11, 5:20 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

As I recall, they're located at the exits from the DLR station
building on to the NR platforms. Since there are escalators that take
you straight to the DLR station exit gatelines, you wouldn't normally
pass them unless you deliberately headed for the NR platforms.

Which I was, because I needed to get a ticket...

I dunno, it just seems weird to have one 'paid area' with different
gates letting you out programmed differently.

It does seem odd (if it is indeed the case), and I can't think of
anywhere else where a similar set-up exists. However, as a rudimentary
but effective measure until Oyster PAYG goes live on National Rail it
sounds like a fairly good solution of sorts.

There are another few oddities however - paper bus passes are not
accepted by the gates at Wimbledon for the tram, which makes some
sense. And at London Bridge mainline station the gates don't accept
Oyster PAYG, despite the fact it's valid on Thameslink services, which
also makes a degree of sense as most people who'll be using PAYG on
Thameslink will likely be interchanging with other mainline services
there - enabling the gates for Oyster PAYG would cause far bigger
problems than this slightly odd arrangement.

Old January 12th 09, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message ,
writes

In article
,
MIG wrote:

http://www.dlrdaisy.co.uk/daisy/kgv/kgv10pid.htm

I now has he correct desinaion, bu he clock says 00:00.

I'm glad to see they decided to abbreviate Woolwich rather than Arsenal

Paul Terry
Old January 12th 09, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

For Wharfies travelling in from Woolwich and points East, the good news
is that the interchange at Poplar is cross-platform in both directions.

We had only a couple of minutes to wait.

Excellent ride - none of the hunting experienced elsewhere on the network.

This will make life so much easier for lots of people. Well done DLR.

Ken
--
Writer / editor on London's River

Old January 12th 09, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jan 12, 8:20*am, Bearded wrote:
For Wharfies travelling in from Woolwich and points East, the good news
is that the interchange at Poplar is cross-platform in both directions.

We had only a couple of minutes to wait.

Excellent ride - none of the hunting experienced elsewhere on the network..

This will make life so much easier for lots of people. Well done DLR.

Ken
--
Writer / editor on London's River

Was it well loaded on its first real working day?
Old January 12th 09, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12 Jan, 00:27, Mizter T wrote:
On 11 Jan, 16:47, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 11 Jan, 16:29, MIG wrote:

[...]

The SET gateline hasn't been reprogrammed, and did return error code
57 (PAYG not accepted) when i tried my PAYG Oyster on it.

On a slightly related note, the TfL fare finder appears to return no
fares for Richmond - Clapham Junction journeys.
I wonder what would be charged for an actual PAYG journey (via
Willesden Junction or Earls Court and West Brompton.)
Old January 12th 09, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Matthew Dickinson wrote:

On a slightly related note, the TfL fare finder appears to return no
fares for Richmond - Clapham Junction journeys.
I wonder what would be charged for an actual PAYG journey (via
Willesden Junction or Earls Court and West Brompton.)

The fare via Willesden Jct (London Overground) is £3.20 SDS or £6.40
SDR, according to Avantix Traveller. The South West Trains route is cheaper.

John Ray