Old January 10th 09, 01:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Camden Lock Market - still burnt out

[x-posted to include uk.transport.london]

On 9 Jan, 16:59, CJB wrote:
In early 2008 Camden Lock Market was largely burnt out including many
adjacent buildings. Camden Council have been extremely slow in
initiating rebuilding and the market is still closed. [...]

You've raised this exact point before and have obviously chosen to
ignore the replies that said that as the market is privately owned
it's not the responsibility of LB Camden. I will point you and any
other interested readers to the relevant thread from October '08
(which appeared on uk.r and ull) but I don't hold out much hope that
you'll pay any attention to it (via Google Groups):

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.ra...70e82b55adc71/

Anyway, in issues *totally unconnected* to the fire at the market...

[...] In November 2008
National Rail was diverting trains past Primrose Hill Station. This is
a view from the train of the total devastation and lack of rebuilding
work.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...36385&hl=en-GB

Interesting to see a video record of what was there, or more
accurately what was visible from a passing train. These platform level
structures have now been demolished (but not the main station building
including ticket hall), and whilst it's a little bit of a shame to see
a small bit of old derelict London swept away I am far from convinced
that this really was a hidden gem of Victorian railway architecture
(but yes I do like the classic design of the canopy supports i.e.
poles, very stylish). There's more discussion on this issue, including
a demi-lengthly contribution from yours truly at my discursive best
(i.e. worst!) in this uk.railway thread from last weekend entitled
"BBC - Disused rail station demolished" (via Google Groups):

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....906d38c3833ff/

By the by you say that the video shows the "total devastation and lack
of rebuilding work" at Primrose Hill - ?!?! The station has been
totally disused since 1986, why should there be rebuilding work on a
disused station? Total devastation is a silly comment too - basically
the station had been left to the wilderness because it wasn't in use,
it's as simple as that. Yes I would love to see the station reopen but
the really critical question (which I broached in my posts to the
thread that I've mentioned above) is that there simply isn't a
passenger service over that line whatsoever, and creating one isn't a
simple matter either as there's a great many other pieces of the
interconnected puzzle that would need to be moved around in order for
this to be achieved.

Old January 10th 09, 05:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 9 Jan, 16:59, CJB wrote:
In early 2008 Camden Lock Market was largely burnt out including many
adjacent buildings. Camden Council have been extremely slow in
initiating rebuilding and the market is still closed. [...]

You've raised this exact point before and have obviously chosen to
ignore the replies that said that as the market is privately owned
it's not the responsibility of LB Camden. I will point you and any
other interested readers to the relevant thread from October '08
(which appeared on uk.r and ull) but I don't hold out much hope that
you'll pay any attention to it (via Google Groups):

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.ra...70e82b55adc71/

Although they don't do the work themselves the council is presumably
responsible for scrutiny of anything that counts as other than mere
repair and for enforcement of other applicable building control
legislation. With the state of some of the site there will be new
building which has to conform with local development plans etc.
snip
Old January 10th 09, 08:33 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Charles Ellson" wrote
In early 2008 Camden Lock Market was largely burnt out including many
adjacent buildings. Camden Council have been extremely slow in
initiating rebuilding and the market is still closed. [...]

[snipped]
Although they don't do the work themselves the council is presumably
responsible for scrutiny of anything that counts as other than mere
repair and for enforcement of other applicable building control
legislation. With the state of some of the site there will be new
building which has to conform with local development plans etc.
snip

Sure; but that is not quite the same as *initiating* anything - that has to
come from the owners.
--

Andrew
"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z.

Old January 10th 09, 11:44 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 10 Jan, 09:33, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
Sure; but that is not quite the same as *initiating* anything - that has to
come from the owners.

Also it was the relatively unimportant Camden Canal Market that burnt
down. The much larger Camden Lock Market was unaffected.

Old January 13th 09, 12:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 9 Jan, 16:59, CJB wrote:
In early 2008 Camden Lock Market was largely burnt out including many
adjacent buildings. Camden Council have been extremely slow in
initiating rebuilding and the market is still closed. [...]

You've raised this exact point before and have obviously chosen to
ignore the replies that said that as the market is privately owned
it's not the responsibility of LB Camden.

It can take a loooong time before anything happens after a fire - probably
due to insurance companies and planning authorities dragging their heels.

A petrol station near me caught fire a year last January and was totally
burnt out. It took until November before the dilapidated building and
burnt-out cars on the forecourt were cleared away. Apparently if the owner
wants to rebuild it, he has to seek new planning permission, even though he
is rebuilding what was there previously. I'm not sure whether that was a
special case or whether it's always true that a building which is rebuilt
after demolition following a fire or other disaster needs a new planning
application.

Old January 13th 09, 12:58 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Jan, 09:33, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

Sure; but that is not quite the same as *initiating* anything - that has to
come from the owners.

Also it was the relatively unimportant Camden Canal Market that burnt
down. The much larger Camden Lock Market was unaffected.

They can't really afford to lose a market at the moment, no matter how
minor.

The Stables market has been demolished and if LU have their way the one
next tothe tube station will be next to go
Old January 13th 09, 01:39 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Stuart wrote:

Mr Thant wrote:
On 10 Jan, 09:33, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

Sure; but that is not quite the same as *initiating* anything - that
has to come from the owners.

Also it was the relatively unimportant Camden Canal Market that burnt
down. The much larger Camden Lock Market was unaffected.

They can't really afford to lose a market at the moment, no matter how minor.

Who's 'they'?

The Stables market has been demolished

No it hasn't.

tom

--
But in natural sciences whose conclusions are true and necessary and
have nothing to do with human will, one must take care not to place
Old January 13th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

They can't really afford to lose a market at the moment, no matter how
minor.

Who's 'they'?

Camden

The Stables market has been demolished

No it hasn't.

Yes it has, all the arches have gone and are now a building site.

The Horse Hospital building doesn't have any stalls in any more, north
of the railway line all they have is a few stalls on the ramp bit
backing onto the road
Old January 13th 09, 02:30 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Stuart wrote:
The Stables market has been demolished

No it hasn't.

Doesn't look like there's much left to me ...

http://benleto.com/blog/592/stables-market-gone/

--
Paul Terry
Old January 13th 09, 02:36 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:21:39 on Tue,
13 Jan 2009, Stuart remarked:
They can't really afford to lose a market at the moment, no matter
how minor.

Who's 'they'?

Camden

Camden what? Council, residents, visitors, traders...