Old January 13th 09, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 388

Will be old news to most, as the interweb leads me to believe the change was
enacted last November, but I see route 388 has been extended, yet again, to
Embankment.

Since introduction, this route has terminated at every District Line station
from Mansion House to Embankment, inclusive.

But does anyone now actually use it beyond Liverpool Street?

Chris

Old January 13th 09, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris Read" wrote...
Will be old news to most, as the interweb leads me to believe the change
was enacted last November, but I see route 388 has been extended, yet
again, to Embankment.
Since introduction, this route has terminated at every District Line
station from Mansion House to Embankment, inclusive.
But does anyone now actually use it beyond Liverpool Street?

Yes.
The reason for this extension is to widen the options for people affected by
the (?three years?) disruption to services at Blackfriars.
--

Andrew

"She plays the tuba.
It is the only instrument capable
of imitating a distress call."

Old January 13th 09, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Chris Read
writes
Will be old news to most, as the interweb leads me to believe the change was
enacted last November, but I see route 388 has been extended, yet again, to
Embankment.

Yes, I spotted one ay Embankment station for the first time last
Saturday. I was a bit surprised to see a "normal" LT bus there.

Since introduction, this route has terminated at every District Line station
from Mansion House to Embankment, inclusive.

But does anyone now actually use it beyond Liverpool Street?

There was no-one using it when I saw it but - as I say - it was
Saturday.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 14th 09, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Jan, 21:05, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

Chris Read" wrote...
Will be old news to most, as the interweb leads me to believe the change
was enacted last November, but I see route 388 has been extended, yet
again, to Embankment.
Since introduction, this route has terminated at every District Line
station from Mansion House to Embankment, inclusive.
But does anyone now actually use it beyond Liverpool Street?

Yes.
The reason for this extension is to widen the options for people affected by
the (?three years?) disruption to services at Blackfriars.

Indeed - Blackfriars Underground station will be closed from 2 March
until "late 2011" - essentially it's being more or less totally
rebuilt as part of the remodelling of Blackfriars mainline station
above it, and that's happening as a result of the Thameslink
Programme. Off the top of me head I'm unclear on the timescale for the
works at the mainline station.

More he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...hive/8944.aspx

Also, the idea that passengers would all joyfully pile off at
Liverpool Street to join the Circle Line is a bit of a joke. The
Circle line has a frequency of 10 minutes and is the first to suffer
whenever there's disruption on the sub-surface lines (Met, District,
H&C). I'd say the 388's link as far as Mansion House (for the District
line) is thus a Good Thing.
Old January 14th 09, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote:

Chris Read wrote:

But does anyone now actually use it beyond Liverpool Street?

There was no-one using it when I saw it but - as I say - it was Saturday.

I occasionally see 388s on my walk to work through the Blackfriars area at
07.30. They are normally empty, or almost empty.

Thinking about it, a further extension to Westminster might be in order.
There must be space to stand on Victoria Embankment, and the turn could be
accomplished in Parliament Square. This would fill the last 'bus less' gap
on Victoria Embankment, and might attract a few more tourists to fill the
empty seats.

Chris