Old August 16th 08, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 388 & Temple

Around and about the City today, I note route 388 has been extended to
Temple - I believe this may have been the first day of the extension.

The original (2003) terminus of this route was Mansion House, with an
extension to Blackfriars in 2004. Now the 388 has gone one more stop along
the District Line. I wonder when the Embankment extension will happen?

Whenever I observe buses on this route, west of Liverpool Street, loadings
are *very* light. However, the latest extension will keep buses 'on stand'
away from the major building work which will shortly overwhelm Blackfriars -
perhaps that was the intention?

The extension serves a short section of Victoria Embankment which has, in
recent years, only been served by a Night Bus route. I also note that Temple
station was not previously served by a day bus route (1), which must be very
unusual within the TfL area. Are any other Underground stations within
London Boroughs not served by TfL bus routes?

Chris

(1) By which I mean the stop labelled 'Temple Station'. I know Aldwych is
very well served and only two minutes walk from Temple.

Old August 16th 08, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 16, 11:41�pm, "Chris Read" wrote:
[...]

I wonder whether this Westward extension has anything to do with the
proposed closure of Blackfriars Station madness, so at least people
who can't/don't want to walk half a mile can get out at Temple and get
the 388 to Blackfriars?

It's always surprised me that this stretch of the Embankment, which
once saw literally dozens of tram journeys every hour in each
direction, is now served by no bus routes at all, save for this new
short extension.

Marc.
Old August 17th 08, 12:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 17, 12:51�am, " wrote:
[...]

Marc.- Hide quoted text -

served by bus routes:-

Baron's Court
Parson's Green
St. James' Park

Marc.
Old August 17th 08, 01:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris Read wrote:

Whenever I observe buses on this route, west of Liverpool Street, loadings
are *very* light. However, the latest extension will keep buses 'on stand'
away from the major building work which will shortly overwhelm Blackfriars -
perhaps that was the intention?

Correct, that was why we extended the 388 from Blackfriars to Temple.
The existing stand space will be taken over by Network Rail when they
properly move onto the site, as part of the Blackfriars rebuild. The
creation of a link to Temple is a nice little bonus for those who can't,
or won't, walk once Blackfriars LU is closed.

Cheers

Steve M
Old August 17th 08, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

served by bus routes:-

Baron's Court
Parson's Green
St. James' Park

Fairlop
Roding Valley

Old August 17th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
served by bus routes:-

Baron's Court
Parson's Green
St. James' Park

Fairlop
Roding Valley

Mornington Crescent...Oh...Wait.
Old August 17th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

served by bus routes:-

Baron's Court
Parson's Green
St. James' Park

Fairlop
Roding Valley

Arsenal
West Harrow

Peter Smyth

Old August 17th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 17, 1:43*pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in message

served by bus routes:-

Baron's Court
Parson's Green
St. James' Park

Fairlop
Roding Valley

Arsenal
West Harrow

How close does the route have to be to the station? The 549 gets
pretty close to Roding Valley, if not very often. It used to be
better served in the past (I recall a 250, which replaced a 254).
Old August 17th 08, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Aug 17, 1:43 pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message

are served by bus routes:-

Baron's Court
Parson's Green
St. James' Park

Fairlop
Roding Valley

Arsenal
West Harrow

How close does the route have to be to the station? The 549 gets
pretty close to Roding Valley, if not very often. It used to be
better served in the past (I recall a 250, which replaced a 254).

The criterion in the OP was that the bus stop must be labelled with the name
of the station, which the stops near Roding Valley are not.

Old August 18th 08, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 18, 12:23*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Aug 17, 1:43 pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote in
message

are served by bus routes:-

Baron's Court
Parson's Green
St. James' Park

Fairlop
Roding Valley

Arsenal
West Harrow

How close does the route have to be to the station? *The 549 gets
pretty close to Roding Valley, if not very often. *It used to be
better served in the past (I recall a 250, which replaced a 254).

The criterion in the OP was that the bus stop must be labelled with the name
of the station, which the stops near Roding Valley are not.

So it was, although named stops are a recent and arbitrary addition.

I think we can add Oxford Circus to the list.*

*A funny thing; you can search for "Oxford Circus Station" and TfL
brings up the list, but the PDFs thus linked don't mention the station.

Route 388 Chris Read London Transport 4 January 14th 09 08:51 PM
Hornchurch to Temple Evasion poster Raymond Kirk London Transport 7 March 22nd 07 06:13 PM
Temple & Cannon St weekend opening Dave Arquati London Transport 9 May 4th 05 09:06 PM
Temple Bar John Rowland London Transport 12 August 4th 03 08:15 AM
Temple Bar Keith Marshall London Transport 0 August 2nd 03 06:11 PM