Old September 27th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default traffic - is it me?

In message , Cast_Iron
writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , dave F
writes

In addition there are more buses, and buses cause far
more congestion (in my opinion) than they remove - well
they do if you run too many.

I wish those buses STAY in their own bus lanes!!!!

I must admit that after my car was stolen I took to the
Buses and the numbers are ludicrous. At 7.30am I can go out
onto Green Lanes and there are about 2 of us at the bus
stop and 3 empty buses will turn up.

As decent transport infrastructure in the form of rail or
underground actually costs money Ken has decided to flood
the roads with buses. This isn't a sensible alternative to
building long term solutions to London's transport problems.

So in the short, medium and long terms what is?

Cross rail as a must. Then start filling in the Tube map, with South
London getting a meaningful underground network.

Ideally re-nationalise the rail system and start running more trains
rather than less as the private operators seem to be doing.

Then rail links that go round London rather than going in and out of the
centre to get anywhere.

Oh and next week.................. ;-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old September 28th 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Ben Nunn
writes

I'm a Londoner who has lived through Ken's GLC and his recent sequel.

It would be interesting to hear about all this historical work that he has
done for me.

Zoned fares
Regenerated housing
Jubilee Gardens on the South Bank
More Buses
Reclaiming Trafalgar Square from the traffic and the feathered rats
Fun stuff, like festivals, street parties parties etc
Try to get rid of traffic, and actually reducing it by 30%
Believing in public transport

I owe my first step on the housing ladder to the GLC 'homesteading'
scheme. Fares Fair was an attempt to get the sort of transport funding
and system that London deserves (and, had it not been blocked by the
money-grubbing Tories in Bromley would have probably given us CrossRail
and Chelney by now). Ken makes mistakes, but name me anyone else who's
been in charge of London this century who has done anything approaching
just one of those things...
--
Steve
Old September 29th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Cast_Iron
), in message
who said:
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In article , Stimpy

And what was actually in his manifesto...

Too bloody right! He might have his failings but at least KL is a
Londoner who loves London

In that case why did he have a place in Brighton and commute from
there (prior to becoming Mayor) ?

He's always been reported as living in his former constituenct, Brent
East, more Harlesden than Hove

Harlesden is in Brent South.

And I rather suspect that Ken has not lived in the immediate vicinity.

BTN

Old September 29th 03, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Steve ), in
message who said:
In article , Ben Nunn
writes

I'm a Londoner who has lived through Ken's GLC and his recent sequel.

It would be interesting to hear about all this historical work that
he has done for me.

Zoned fares

Essentially making return journeys so expensive that travelcards are the
only realistic option for the vast majority of travellers.

Regenerated housing

Housing is entirely the responsibility of local authorities and private
planning, with some broad directives from central government.

I've seen no evidence that the extra layer of regional government has done
any work in this area.

Jubilee Gardens on the South Bank

Great.

More Buses

Not on any routes that I travel on, which are as slow and crowded as they
ever were.

Reclaiming Trafalgar Square from the traffic and the feathered rats

Reclaiming for who? Don't the traffic and feathered rats have just as much
right to common ownership?

Reclaiming is theft.

Fun stuff, like festivals, street parties parties etc

Not fun for those who are involuntarily paying for them, but who aren't
around to enjoy them, and who might not have chosen them in the first place.

****ing hell, I've never even heard about any GLA/GLC parties, and I've
certainly not been invited to any.

Oh, I lie. I did once go in that big self-congratulatory GLC 'cake' on the
South bank when I was a child. Greatest day out of my life, that was...

Try to get rid of traffic, and actually reducing it by 30%
Believing in public transport

Fundamentally flawed approach.

The public transport system was already far more crowded than the roads, and
since the 1960 (with the exception of the DLR) every scheme to expand our
transport network has been delayed and over budget.

The tube system expanded more between 1900 and 1910 than it has done in the
last 50 years.

I owe my first step on the housing ladder to the GLC 'homesteading'
scheme. Fares Fair was an attempt to get the sort of transport funding
and system that London deserves (and, had it not been blocked by the
money-grubbing Tories in Bromley would have probably given us
CrossRail and Chelney by now). Ken makes mistakes, but name me anyone
else who's been in charge of London this century who has done
anything approaching just one of those things...

This completely misses the point - perhaps because you're too busy working
out how to squeeze in a predictable anti-Tory jibe - London doesn't need
someone 'in charge', certainly not someone as power-hungry as Ken is proven
to be.

And Ken is the only person who has been in charge of London this century.

However, during the last century, entrepreneurs built tube lines across
London rapidly and effectively. And the system today - so representative of
public-sector attitudes, and trade union mentality - is absolutely ****ing
dependent on those lines that were funded entirely by private investors.

As a Londoner - forced to work in Suffolk because of the constant stream of
invaders from the regions - I don't feel represented /at all/ by the current
mayor.

If an elected mayor is going to do anything to fight for the rights of
Londoners, it should be to stop the influx of people from the rest of the
country, when we're already full, with no jobs left and a transport system
that is on it's last wheels.

BTN