Old February 8th 09, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc

Default UTLer in the news

In message , Roy Stilling
writes

My understanding is that "Ambulance" is a protected designation and
it's an offence to apply it to a vehicle that doesn't meet the
definition.

I doubt it. Consider the picture on the following website:

http://www.jumbulance.org.uk/

It is a designation as an emergency vehicle that it is the important
distinction.

--
Paul Terry

Old February 10th 09, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 11:22:46AM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:00:41 on Sun, 8
Feb 2009, Roy Stilling remarked:
If a vehicle falls under the legal definition that allows it to bear
the designation "Ambulance" and does so, then it is legally an
ambulance and entitled to various legal privileges that don't apply to
ordinary vehicles.

Not all of the protections. Only "NHS" ambulances are covered by the
recent Emergency Workers obstruction law [1], for example.

There are (or were) also Responsibilities.

Back when I drove a Landrover 101, I believe that the owners' club's
advice to owners of the Ambulance version was that when driving on
public roads, they should cover up the gigantic red cross and the word
"ambulance" because if they didn't they would be required to stop and
assist at any accident and could be prosecuted if they hadn't had the
necessary training.

Thankfully, the army were aware of this and the vehicles all had
convenient metal flaps for covering up the insignia, so that squaddie
medics wouldn't have had to help civilians when the vehicles were in
service.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Eye have a spelling chequer / It came with my pea sea
It planely marques four my revue / Miss Steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word / And weight for it to say
Weather eye am wrong oar write / It shows me strait a weigh.
Old February 10th 09, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:34:38
on Tue, 10 Feb 2009, David Cantrell remarked:
Back when I drove a Landrover 101, I believe that the owners' club's
advice to owners of the Ambulance version was that when driving on
public roads, they should cover up the gigantic red cross and the word
"ambulance" because if they didn't they would be required to stop and
assist at any accident and could be prosecuted if they hadn't had the
necessary training.

That sounds like the French law about giving assistance that we heard
about after princess Diana's crash. Is there really an equivalent in the
UK?
Old February 10th 09, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote in
k:

Back when I drove a Landrover 101, I believe that the owners' club's
advice to owners of the Ambulance version was that when driving on
public roads, they should cover up the gigantic red cross and the word
"ambulance" because if they didn't they would be required to stop and
assist at any accident and could be prosecuted if they hadn't had the
necessary training.

I am a little doubtful that there is any such requirement, but I am
aware - from driving a similarly marked vehicle - that the red cross is
claimed as a trademark by the Red Cross, who told us (this was 40 years
ago) to remove it from the vehicle. However, I see via Google that the
position is far from straightforward or undisputed even though the
symbol is now protected under the Geneva Convention.

So far as I know there is no restriction on using the word 'ambulance'
on a vehicle. At least one local care home near me uses such a vehicle
to ferry its clients to the local shops.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com
Old February 10th 09, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:

David Cantrell wrote in
k:

Back when I drove a Landrover 101, I believe that the owners' club's
advice to owners of the Ambulance version was that when driving on
public roads, they should cover up the gigantic red cross and the word
"ambulance" because if they didn't they would be required to stop and
assist at any accident and could be prosecuted if they hadn't had the
necessary training.

I am a little doubtful that there is any such requirement, but I am
aware - from driving a similarly marked vehicle - that the red cross is
claimed as a trademark by the Red Cross, who told us (this was 40 years
ago) to remove it from the vehicle.

There was as big fuss a while ago about the use of the red cross in video
games: many fighting-related games have medical packs you can pick up to
restore some of your character's health, and the red cross is pretty much
universally used to label them. The ICRC were understandably not happy
about their logo being used in warlike games!

tom

--
I was employed by a Lacanian and, believe me, you don't want to see what
a postmodern approach to cashflow entails. -- G'

Old February 10th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Feb, 16:53, Tom Anderson wrote:
There was as big fuss a while ago about the use of the red cross in video
games: many fighting-related games have medical packs you can pick up to
restore some of your character's health, and the red cross is pretty much
universally used to label them. The ICRC were understandably not happy
about their logo being used in warlike games!

In America, the red cross trademark is owned by Johnson & Johnson, who
a few years ago ended up suing the American Red Cross for using it on
commercial products.

Old February 11th 09, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

Update:

http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/cont...-councillor.en

Decision on complaint about Councillor Colin Rosenstiel

"A Cambridge City Council Hearing Panel met today (Wednesday 11
February) to consider a complaint that Councillor Colin Rosenstiel
failed to comply with the Council's Code of Conduct for Councillors.

The complaint was made by the East of England Ambulance Service
following an incident on Jesus Green in June 2007.

A Standards Board for England investigator looked into the complaint and
concluded that Councillor Rosenstiel had breached the Code of Conduct
for Councillors.

Today the Hearing Panel, which is a sub-committee of the Council's
Standards Committee, received the investigator's findings and heard
representations on behalf of Councillor Rosenstiel.

The panel concluded that Councillor Rosenstiel failed to comply with two
provisions of the Council's Code of Conduct for Councillors.

It concluded that Councillor Rosenstiel failed to treat the ambulance
driver involved in the incident with respect and by doing so failed to
comply with paragraph 2(b) of the Council's Code of Conduct for Councillors.

The panel also concluded Councillor Rosenstiel had brought his office of
councillor into disrepute in breach of paragraph 4 of the code.

Having come to these conclusions the panel decided to impose a penalty
on Councillor Rosenstiel.

The panel agreed that Councillor Rosenstiel should send a full personal,
unqualified and unreserved written apology to the East of England
Ambulance Service and the ambulance driver involved in the incident in
June 2007. The form of this apology was agreed with the Hearing Panel.

The panel requested that the apologies were made public. Copies of the
letters of apology from Councillor Rosenstiel are attached:
see URL"
Old February 11th 09, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote in :

The panel agreed that Councillor Rosenstiel should send a full personal,
unqualified and unreserved written apology to the East of England
Ambulance Service and the ambulance driver involved in the incident in
June 2007. The form of this apology was agreed with the Hearing Panel.

So in other words, a whole bunch of taxpayers' money has been spent in
order to get an apology.

So much for "an apology costs nothing"!
Old February 12th 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 06:35:31PM +0000, James Farrar wrote:
Joe wrote in :
The panel agreed that Councillor Rosenstiel should send a full personal,
unqualified and unreserved written apology to the East of England
Ambulance Service and the ambulance driver involved in the incident in
June 2007. The form of this apology was agreed with the Hearing Panel.

So in other words, a whole bunch of taxpayers' money has been spent in
order to get an apology.

What's the point of apologising only after being ordered to do so? I
would consider such an apology to be insincere if I received one.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist