Old February 4th 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default UTLer in the news

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

Old February 4th 09, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

What a bloody idiot.

Old February 4th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on a
subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. That might (and I stress
*might*) be the case here.

For the record:

(a) I've met plenty of councillors who have ranged from slightly
ill-informed to complete *******.

(b) I've met Colin R once, know nothing about him and emphatically
*not* making a judgement about him in point (a) above! :-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old February 4th 09, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
news
What a bloody idiot.

I think my comment would be a bit stronger than that!

Ian

Old February 4th 09, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, James Farrar wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

He also seems to have nicked a potion of youth from the ambulance while he
was at it!

tom

--
In other news, has anyone here read Blindness? Does it get better after
the 30 page mark, is does the whole thing read like a sentimental fairy

Old February 4th 09, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James
Farrar writes

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

I heard the story on Radio 4 this morning, but since it doesn't concern
transport in London I saw no reason to raise the matter here.

--
Paul Terry
Old February 4th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on a
subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. That might (and I stress
*might*) be the case here.

That was certainly my first thought, but I completely and utterly fail to
comprehend any circumstances where blocking an ambulance service fast
response vehicle, then locking gates on them, because they "shouldn't be
driving on the grass" is even remotely acceptable.
Old February 4th 09, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 4, 8:21*pm, Adrian wrote:
Ian Jelf gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on a
subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. * That might (and I stress
*might*) be the case here.

That was certainly my first thought, but I completely and utterly fail to
comprehend any circumstances where blocking an ambulance service fast
response vehicle, then locking gates on them, because they "shouldn't be
driving on the grass" is even remotely acceptable.

The story doesn't do itself much credit. It repeatedly refers to the
car as an "ambulance", despite it being one of these
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc10899.jpg.

The URL is worse: it says "Councillor-blocked-ambulance-carrying-
injured-man-as-it-broke-driving-by-laws.html".

There's no indication in the story that the car was carrying an
injured person, nor that it would be allowed to. It does say that the
councillor claimed that the lights were not flashing.

So then the difficult thing to explain is how and why they didn't
manage to convey the fact that they were attending an "emergency",
although it seems to have been no more than a bit of first aid.
Several buckets of salt I think.
Old February 4th 09, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
news
In message , John Rowland
writes
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on
a subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. That might (and I
stress *might*) be the case here.

For the record:

(a) I've met plenty of councillors who have ranged from slightly
ill-informed to complete *******.

(b) I've met Colin R once, know nothing about him and emphatically
*not* making a judgement about him in point (a) above! :-)

Anyone who is interested can read the full report at
http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/public/c...11stds/3_0.pdf
(warning - 23MB pdf file)

Peter Smyth

Old February 4th 09, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

That was certainly my first thought, but I completely and utterly fail
to comprehend any circumstances where blocking an ambulance service
fast response vehicle, then locking gates on them, because they
"shouldn't be driving on the grass" is even remotely acceptable.

The story doesn't do itself much credit. It repeatedly refers to the
car as an "ambulance", despite it being one of these
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc10899.jpg.

Yup, an ambulance service fast response vehicle, staffed by a paramedic.
The vehicle they send so as to get expert medical help to an incident
faster than a full-fat ambulance may be able to get there.