London Banter

-   -   UTLer in the news (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7539-utler-news.html)

James Farrar February 4th 09 04:39 PM

UTLer in the news

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

John Rowland February 4th 09 05:28 PM

UTLer in the news

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

What a bloody idiot.

Ian Jelf February 4th 09 06:08 PM

UTLer in the news

In message , John Rowland
writes
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on a
subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. That might (and I stress
*might*) be the case here.

For the record:

(a) I've met plenty of councillors who have ranged from slightly
ill-informed to complete *******.

(b) I've met Colin R once, know nothing about him and emphatically
*not* making a judgement about him in point (a) above! :-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Ian F. February 4th 09 06:09 PM

UTLer in the news

"John Rowland" wrote in message

What a bloody idiot.

I think my comment would be a bit stronger than that!

Ian

Tom Anderson February 4th 09 06:48 PM

UTLer in the news

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, James Farrar wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

He also seems to have nicked a potion of youth from the ambulance while he
was at it!

tom

--
In other news, has anyone here read Blindness? Does it get better after
the 30 page mark, is does the whole thing read like a sentimental fairy

Paul Terry February 4th 09 07:02 PM

UTLer in the news

In message , James
Farrar writes

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

I heard the story on Radio 4 this morning, but since it doesn't concern
transport in London I saw no reason to raise the matter here.

--
Paul Terry

Adrian February 4th 09 07:21 PM

UTLer in the news

Ian Jelf gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on a
subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. That might (and I stress
*might*) be the case here.

That was certainly my first thought, but I completely and utterly fail to
comprehend any circumstances where blocking an ambulance service fast
response vehicle, then locking gates on them, because they "shouldn't be
driving on the grass" is even remotely acceptable.

MIG February 4th 09 07:54 PM

UTLer in the news

On Feb 4, 8:21*pm, Adrian wrote:
Ian Jelf gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on a
subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. * That might (and I stress
*might*) be the case here.

That was certainly my first thought, but I completely and utterly fail to
comprehend any circumstances where blocking an ambulance service fast
response vehicle, then locking gates on them, because they "shouldn't be
driving on the grass" is even remotely acceptable.

The story doesn't do itself much credit. It repeatedly refers to the
car as an "ambulance", despite it being one of these
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc10899.jpg.

The URL is worse: it says "Councillor-blocked-ambulance-carrying-
injured-man-as-it-broke-driving-by-laws.html".

There's no indication in the story that the car was carrying an
injured person, nor that it would be allowed to. It does say that the
councillor claimed that the lights were not flashing.

So then the difficult thing to explain is how and why they didn't
manage to convey the fact that they were attending an "emergency",
although it seems to have been no more than a bit of first aid.
Several buckets of salt I think.

Peter Smyth February 4th 09 08:03 PM

UTLer in the news

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , John Rowland
writes
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

What a bloody idiot.

That may indeed be the case.

However, I think we all know that - whenever we see a media report on
a subject we know something about - it usually contains several
inaccuracies or doesn't give the whole story. That might (and I
stress *might*) be the case here.

For the record:

(a) I've met plenty of councillors who have ranged from slightly
ill-informed to complete *******.

(b) I've met Colin R once, know nothing about him and emphatically
*not* making a judgement about him in point (a) above! :-)

Anyone who is interested can read the full report at
http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/public/c...11stds/3_0.pdf
(warning - 23MB pdf file)

Peter Smyth

Adrian February 4th 09 08:05 PM

UTLer in the news

MIG gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

That was certainly my first thought, but I completely and utterly fail
to comprehend any circumstances where blocking an ambulance service
fast response vehicle, then locking gates on them, because they
"shouldn't be driving on the grass" is even remotely acceptable.

The story doesn't do itself much credit. It repeatedly refers to the
car as an "ambulance", despite it being one of these
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc10899.jpg.

Yup, an ambulance service fast response vehicle, staffed by a paramedic.
The vehicle they send so as to get expert medical help to an incident
faster than a full-fat ambulance may be able to get there.

MIG February 4th 09 08:15 PM

UTLer in the news

On Feb 4, 9:05*pm, Adrian wrote:
MIG gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

That was certainly my first thought, but I completely and utterly fail
to comprehend any circumstances where blocking an ambulance service
fast response vehicle, then locking gates on them, because they
"shouldn't be driving on the grass" is even remotely acceptable.

The story doesn't do itself much credit. *It repeatedly refers to the
car as an "ambulance", despite it being one of these
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc10899.jpg.

Yup, an ambulance service fast response vehicle, staffed by a paramedic.
The vehicle they send so as to get expert medical help to an incident
faster than a full-fat ambulance may be able to get there.

Although probably not in the Yorkshire colours (may have been less
garish). In London I see a lot of paramedic motorbikes these days,
which makes a lot of sense.

Adrian February 4th 09 08:17 PM

UTLer in the news

MIG gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Yup, an ambulance service fast response vehicle, staffed by a
paramedic. The vehicle they send so as to get expert medical help to an
incident faster than a full-fat ambulance may be able to get there.

Although probably not in the Yorkshire colours (may have been less
garish).

Unlikely.
Green battenburg's fairly standard for ambulance service nationally.

Roland Perry February 4th 09 09:47 PM

UTLer in the news

In message , at 21:05:40 on Wed, 4
Feb 2009, Adrian remarked:
Yup, an ambulance service fast response vehicle, staffed by a paramedic.
The vehicle they send so as to get expert medical help to an incident
faster than a full-fat ambulance may be able to get there.

What I don't really understand is why they had to send an ambulance at
all. It was a busy annual city-centre carnival event. Why weren't there
ambulance staff (St Johns if not NHS) on site already?

Tom Anderson February 4th 09 10:22 PM

UTLer in the news

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Adrian wrote:

MIG gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Yup, an ambulance service fast response vehicle, staffed by a
paramedic. The vehicle they send so as to get expert medical help to an
incident faster than a full-fat ambulance may be able to get there.

Although probably not in the Yorkshire colours (may have been less
garish).

Unlikely. Green battenburg's fairly standard for ambulance service
nationally.

Paragraph 4.10 in the report Mr Smyth posted says:

The 4 x 4 vehicle was marked clearly as a paramedic vehicle in bold red
and green colouring

And also that it was a Honda CRV, like the one in MIG's picture.

Red and green sounds horrible.

tom

Tom Anderson February 4th 09 10:36 PM

UTLer in the news

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, MIG wrote:

On Feb 4, 9:05*pm, Adrian wrote:
[...]

There's also a bicycle paramedic, with huge panniers full of paramedicine
etc. He's been along with the Critical Mass rides on occasion (possibly
always, but i haven't always spotted him). I don't know what he does the
rest of the time.

Thinking about it, there was also a cycling paramedic in Oxford. I was
around when a guy fell out of a tree and donked his head on a concrete
wharf, and he showed up to treat him. It was he

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.7...=17&iwloc=addr

Where an ambulance couldn't have reached (due to bollards) and even a
motorbike would have had trouble.

Wasn't the best picnic i've been to.

tom

[email protected] February 4th 09 11:03 PM

UTLer in the news

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, James Farrar wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

He also seems to have nicked a potion of youth from the ambulance
while he was at it!

It's a nine year old photo!

I could say more but *I'm* not going to abuse a quasi-judicial process by
conducting a trial by media before the hearing which is on Wednesday
*next* week.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG February 4th 09 11:14 PM

UTLer in the news

On Feb 4, 10:47*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:05:40 on Wed, 4
Feb 2009, Adrian remarked:

Yup, an ambulance service fast response vehicle, staffed by a paramedic.
The vehicle they send so as to get expert medical help to an incident
faster than a full-fat ambulance may be able to get there.

What I don't really understand is why they had to send an ambulance at
all. It was a busy annual city-centre carnival event. Why weren't there
ambulance staff (St Johns if not NHS) on site already?

Basically, the article doesn't make sense and has sneaky hints that it
doesn't back up (particularly the URL).

I'm not so much interested in speculating, but the article is clearly
a dud and not to be trusted.

I know that's true of everything in the papers, but this one seems to
be particularly bad.

Mizter T February 5th 09 12:13 AM

UTLer in the news

On 5 Feb, 00:03, wrote:

In article i
(Tom Anderson) wrote:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, James Farrar wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8zpw5

He also seems to have nicked a potion of youth from the ambulance
while he was at it!

It's a nine year old photo!

I could say more but *I'm* not going to abuse a quasi-judicial process by
conducting a trial by media before the hearing which is on Wednesday
*next* week.

Fair enough.

Adrian February 5th 09 06:38 AM

UTLer in the news

Tom Anderson gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Although probably not in the Yorkshire colours (may have been less
garish).

Unlikely. Green battenburg's fairly standard for ambulance service
nationally.

Paragraph 4.10 in the report Mr Smyth posted says:

The 4 x 4 vehicle was marked clearly as a paramedic vehicle in bold
red and green colouring

And also that it was a Honda CRV, like the one in MIG's picture.

Red and green sounds horrible.

Indeed.

One Cambridgeshire/East-of-England ambulance service Honda CRV fast
response vehicle...

http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/...cture-library/
KDW_9_EAAMB_240702.JPG

Tom Anderson February 5th 09 12:21 PM

UTLer in the news

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Adrian wrote:

Tom Anderson gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Although probably not in the Yorkshire colours (may have been less
garish).

Unlikely. Green battenburg's fairly standard for ambulance service
nationally.

Paragraph 4.10 in the report Mr Smyth posted says:

The 4 x 4 vehicle was marked clearly as a paramedic vehicle in bold
red and green colouring

And also that it was a Honda CRV, like the one in MIG's picture.

Red and green sounds horrible.

Indeed.

One Cambridgeshire/East-of-England ambulance service Honda CRV fast
response vehicle...

http://www.eastanglianambulance.com/...AMB_240702.JPG

Huh. It does rather look like that's an error in the report, then.

tom

--
He's taking towel fandom to a whole other bad level. -- applez, of coalescent

Roland Perry February 5th 09 01:28 PM

UTLer in the news

In message , at
13:21:35 on Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Tom Anderson
remarked:

The 4 x 4 vehicle was marked clearly as a paramedic vehicle in bold
red and green colouring

Huh. It does rather look like that's an error in the report, then.

Red and yellow is fi

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/fire/dscd0609.jpg

(Or sometimes ambulances sigh
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc02302.jpg )

Yellow and green is paramedics:
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/p1150013.jpg

As is white and green:
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/p1140214.jpg

Haven't found any red and green yet.

Closest is Orange and green (animal ambulance)
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dscd0552.jpg

or maybe just red (yes there are solid red ambulances too)
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc10814.jpg

magwitch February 5th 09 01:48 PM

UTLer in the news

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Red/green colour-blindness?

Should Colin have a test? This sounds increasingly like a plausible
Rumpole-style defence.

There was an episode about a defendant who was belatedly found to be
illiterate and hence unable to have read and signed his police confession.

Jon Green February 5th 09 01:54 PM

UTLer in the news

magwitch wrote:
Red/green colour-blindness?

Should Colin have a test? This sounds increasingly like a plausible
Rumpole-style defence.

Not really, unless he's paramedic-deaf as well. The paramedic told him
he was a paramedic on a call-out.

A roof-rack with coloured lights, and the words "Ambulance" liberally
scattered around the vehicle, wouldn't really support that defence either.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.

Roland Perry February 5th 09 02:00 PM

UTLer in the news

In message , at 14:48:40 on
Thu, 5 Feb 2009, magwitch remarked:

Red/green colour-blindness?

It's the newspapers that are claiming the paramedic's car was red and
green.

MIG February 5th 09 02:16 PM

UTLer in the news

On Feb 5, 2:48*pm, magwitch wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

"I was approaching the red traffic light, so the Doppler effect made
it appear green." I have a feeling that one may actually have been
tried.

Alan Braggins February 5th 09 04:44 PM

UTLer in the news

In article , magwitch wrote:

Red/green colour-blindness?

I imagine the paramedic driver knows what colour his vehicle is even
if he is colour blind.

Elsewhere in the report he says that it is green and yellow down the
side, red and yellow check to the rear end, and that it displays the
word ambulance (in unspecified colours).

Should Colin have a test?

Why should Colin have a test because someone else wrote a misleading
description of the vehicle?

The description of the vehicle as marked "in bold red and green colouring"
is in the section headed "Mr Austine's evidence", not the section headed
"Councillor Rosenstiel's evidence", and it appears to be the investigator's
summary of the paramedic's more accurate description.

Roland Perry February 5th 09 05:09 PM

UTLer in the news

In message , at 17:44:07 on
Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Alan Braggins remarked:
Elsewhere in the report he says that it is green and yellow down the
side, red and yellow check to the rear end, and that it displays the
word ambulance (in unspecified colours).

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dcp01118.jpg

The description of the vehicle as marked "in bold red and green colouring"

I suppose you could interpret the vehicle pictured above as "White and
Yellow" with "Red and Green markings", but it wouldn't be my most
intuitive way of expressing it.

Duncan Wood[_2_] February 5th 09 05:31 PM

UTLer in the news

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:09:00 -0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:44:07 on
Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Alan Braggins remarked:
Elsewhere in the report he says that it is green and yellow down the
side, red and yellow check to the rear end, and that it displays the
word ambulance (in unspecified colours).

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dcp01118.jpg

The description of the vehicle as marked "in bold red and green
colouring"

I suppose you could interpret the vehicle pictured above as "White and
Yellow" with "Red and Green markings", but it wouldn't be my most
intuitive way of expressing it.

Yup, most of us would refer to it as an ambulance:-)

magwitch February 5th 09 06:28 PM

UTLer in the news

Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , magwitch wrote:
Red/green colour-blindness?

I imagine the paramedic driver knows what colour his vehicle is even
if he is colour blind.

Elsewhere in the report he says that it is green and yellow down the
side, red and yellow check to the rear end, and that it displays the
word ambulance (in unspecified colours).

Should Colin have a test?

Why should Colin have a test because someone else wrote a misleading
description of the vehicle?

The description of the vehicle as marked "in bold red and green colouring"
is in the section headed "Mr Austine's evidence", not the section headed
"Councillor Rosenstiel's evidence", and it appears to be the investigator's
summary of the paramedic's more accurate description.

The plot thickens.

I must say I rather think the 'Ambulance' sign on the vehicle is most
compelling evidence... in fact on reflection, the colour combination
perhaps might be a red herring after all.

magwitch February 5th 09 06:31 PM

UTLer in the news

Jon Green wrote:
magwitch wrote:
Red/green colour-blindness?

Should Colin have a test? This sounds increasingly like a plausible
Rumpole-style defence.

Not really, unless he's paramedic-deaf as well. The paramedic told him
he was a paramedic on a call-out.

A roof-rack with coloured lights, and the words "Ambulance" liberally
scattered around the vehicle, wouldn't really support that defence either.

Jon

Yeah but if he can't read... see what I'm getting (doggedly) at?

Perhaps it's some sort of 'data-exhaustion' syndrome, with which City
councillors seem to be increasingly afflicted, poor loves.

Jules[_2_] February 5th 09 06:33 PM

UTLer in the news

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:28:32 +0000, magwitch wrote:
The description of the vehicle as marked "in bold red and green colouring"
is in the section headed "Mr Austine's evidence", not the section headed
"Councillor Rosenstiel's evidence", and it appears to be the investigator's
summary of the paramedic's more accurate description.

The plot thickens.

I must say I rather think the 'Ambulance' sign on the vehicle is most
compelling evidence... in fact on reflection, the colour combination
perhaps might be a red herring after all.

Right... I've not read the report, but I did look at the photo of the
vehicle - and it wasn't obvious that there *was* an ambulance sign on the
bonnet or sides. There appeared to be something stuck in the rear
passenger windows, but that could be missed if point of contact was
initally from the front (and then presumably front-quarter to have a word
with the driver).

If any ambulance sign was present up by the lights then it seems
reasonable that if the lights were missed then so was this sign.

Richard February 5th 09 06:43 PM

UTLer in the news

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:28:34 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
or maybe just red (yes there are solid red ambulances too)
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dsc10814.jpg

First responders often use their own car, or a pool car, with magnetic
signs applied to the side and the front. So you can have any colour
ambulance you like!

Here's a blue one:
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...l/article.html

Ob - not quite rail blue. Or Cambus blue.

Richard.

Alan Braggins February 5th 09 06:56 PM

UTLer in the news

wrote:

In message , at 17:44:07 on
Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Alan Braggins remarked:
Elsewhere in the report he says that it is green and yellow down the
side, red and yellow check to the rear end, and that it displays the
word ambulance (in unspecified colours).

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ambulance/dcp01118.jpg

The description of the vehicle as marked "in bold red and green
colouring"

I suppose you could interpret the vehicle pictured above as "White and
Yellow" with "Red and Green markings", but it wouldn't be my most
intuitive way of expressing it.

Yup, most of us would refer to it as an ambulance:-)

So does the report of course. The word "ambulance" being in bold red on
the back and bold green on the front might be what was being referred to
in that bit of the description. (Assuming the back of the CR-V involved
has similar coloured lettering to The A-class in Roland's photo.
Possibly "red and yellow check" actually refers to a similar pattern to
the photo too. Not that it's relevent.)

Roland Perry February 5th 09 07:20 PM

UTLer in the news

In message . com, at
13:33:51 on Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Jules
remarked:
Right... I've not read the report, but I did look at the photo of the
vehicle - and it wasn't obvious that there *was* an ambulance sign on the
bonnet or sides.

There's also a certain degree of function creep in the use of the word
"Ambulance".

Is this a Fire Engine:

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/fire/dcp00999.jpg

Roland Perry February 5th 09 07:21 PM

UTLer in the news

In message , at 19:43:39 on
Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Richard remarked:
First responders often use their own car, or a pool car, with magnetic
signs applied to the side and the front. So you can have any colour
ambulance you like!

I think that's a "first response vehicle", not an Ambulance.

MIG February 5th 09 07:23 PM

UTLer in the news

wrote:

[...]

I would take "ambulance" to mean a vehicle which carries sick or
injured people.

The word "ambulance" on this vehicle more likely relates to the fact
that it belongs to the ambulance service, just as it would if it was
written on a bicycle or a building. (And such buildings or bicycles
would need to be treated with appropriate respect, and not
obstructed.)

This was evidently an ambulance service vehicle carrying a paramedic,
despite the URL implying that it was carrying an injured person and
the article referring to it as an ambulance.

Duncan Wood[_2_] February 5th 09 07:28 PM

UTLer in the news

wrote:

[...]

Well it's sitting in Milton during the rush hour & seems to attend the
middle of town fairly often & most of the large scale events.

magwitch February 5th 09 07:46 PM

UTLer in the news

wrote:

Well it's sitting in Milton during the rush hour & seems to attend the
middle of town fairly often & most of the large scale events.

Are you one of those ambulance chasers then?

Tom Anderson February 5th 09 07:46 PM

UTLer in the news

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 14:48:40 on Thu, 5
Feb 2009, magwitch remarked:

Red/green colour-blindness?

It's the newspapers that are claiming the paramedic's car was red and green.

It was the official council investigating commissar's report that did.
Possibly the papers did too, but i haven't looked at those.

tom

--
GOLDIE LOOKIN' CHAIN [...] will ultimately make all other forms of music
both redundant and unnecessary -- NTK

Duncan Wood[_2_] February 5th 09 07:46 PM

UTLer in the news

wrote:

Well it's sitting in Milton during the rush hour & seems to attend the
middle of town fairly often & most of the large scale events.

Are you one of those ambulance chasers then?

Not according to my tax return :-)