Old September 26th 03, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster=Big Brother ??

Roland Perry typed

In message , Lawrence Myers
writes
You can actually just place your jacket pocket on the Reader, without
taking
the Oyster out of the pocket.

I keep my wallet in my inside pocket (as most people probably do). Will
this spawn a new variant on the Ministry of Silly Walks? Would it be
worse if my wallet was in my trouser back pocket?

The bind moggles at the thought of busty woman keeping her Oyster in a
top pocket...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old September 26th 03, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve Naïve
writes
Why not keep the oyster card in your top pocket where you say you would
normally keep your paper ticket. Then *you* are no worse off than before,

Agreed. But then why *have* a new system.

and for *lots* of people, they will see a large speed benefit.

They will still be stuck behind me as I fumble [tm] for the ticket.
Old September 26th 03, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:54:01 +0100, Paul Weaver
wrote in :
You won't be able to buy paper tickets for longer durations than 1 week
soon AFAIK.

You cant now. Even weekly season tickets (aside from central London) need
a photocard, so they can still correlate movements with people.

How d'you figure that? You don't give *any* personal information
for a photocard, just write a name -- on the card only -- and supply a
photograph. If you buy your weekly OTC the clerk doesn't (IIRC) record
the PC number, just writes it on the ticket. And even if the machine at
your local newsagent stored or passed on your PC number rather than just
printing it on the ticket, there are at most 260,000 different PC numbers
compared to however-many millions must have been issued since they were
introduced, so it's hardly likely to be unique.

Personally I buy paper singles.

Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't *really*
out to get you!

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old September 26th 03, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 01c383a8$214dd840$d405e150@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes
As with retention of mobile phone call data, the possibility of the
data being useful to prove an alibi ("and then I went straight home")
never crosses the 'minds' of Civil Rights Campaigners.

Because it can't "prove" innocence. You might have lent you phone or
Oyster Card to someone else. But as a strong indication that you were
near the scene of a crime, it can draw suspicion upon you.
Old September 27th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:03:24 -0700, Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Yeah, like this is _the_ most important civili liberties issue we should
be worried about. I wonder is Liberty has been whinging about supermarket
loyalty cards, as well?

You don't have to have one, you can lie on the application form, you can
swap them with friends, its a private enterprise that does it, with no
tax payer funding. I fail to see the similarity.

Old September 29th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote in article
In message 01c383a8$214dd840$d405e150@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes
As with retention of mobile phone call data, the possibility of the
data being useful to prove an alibi ("and then I went straight

home")
never crosses the 'minds' of Civil Rights Campaigners.

Because it can't "prove" innocence. You might have lent you phone or
Oyster Card to someone else. But as a strong indication that you were

near the scene of a crime, it can draw suspicion upon you.

And a strong indication that you were somewhere else can draw suspicion
away.

I didn't say "prove" innocence, I said prove an alibi. Beyond
reasonable doubt is the idea I understand.

--
Mike D

Old September 30th 03, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dr Ivan D. Reid
writes
there are at most 260,000 different PC numbers

That's rubbish, for a start: my photocard number has three letters and
four digits in it, so that's over 175 million.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Big Brother Anon London Transport 2 February 21st 04 12:02 AM
Big car owners face tax hike dave F London Transport 11 October 20th 03 12:45 PM
Dot Matrix replaces big boards at L/Pool St David Jackman London Transport 22 July 19th 03 09:11 PM