Old September 25th 03, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster=Big Brother ??

Quote:

Civil rights campaigners have expressed concerns about the new smart
travelcards introduced for London commuters.

Under the new system, Transport for London will be able to track a
commuter's movements and it plans to retain information on journeys
made for "a number of years"

--
Tony Bryer

Old September 25th 03, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Bryer wrote the following in:

Quote:

Civil rights campaigners have expressed concerns about the new smart
travelcards introduced for London commuters.

Under the new system, Transport for London will be able to track a
commuter's movements and it plans to retain information on journeys
made for "a number of years"

Surely people wanting to avoid this could just buy a traditional paper
(or plastic type stuff) season ticket?

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
"A very large head, a head like a bear's"

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old September 25th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
Tony Bryer wrote the following in:

Quote:

Civil rights campaigners have expressed concerns about the new smart
travelcards introduced for London commuters.

Under the new system, Transport for London will be able to track a
commuter's movements and it plans to retain information on journeys
made for "a number of years"

Surely people wanting to avoid this could just buy a traditional paper
(or plastic type stuff) season ticket?

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
"A very large head, a head like a bear's"

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.

You won't be able to buy paper tickets for longer durations than 1 week soon
AFAIK.

The article says that you can get an anonymous card for 'pay as you go'
only.

Colin

Old September 25th 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You won't be able to buy paper tickets for longer durations than 1 week
soon AFAIK.

You cant now. Even weekly season tickets (aside from central London) need
a photocard, so they can still correlate movements with people.

Personally I buy paper singles.
Old September 26th 03, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

From Oct all Monthly and seasonals will be Oysters. Anyway why are people
moaning, the idea initially was cause people were moaning that they had to
take the tickety out of their little wallety and it was getting damaged by
the machiney weanny.

In Singapore when you enter the ticket into the machine it instantly tells
you onscreen where all your journeys have been - that have been logged to
that card.

Its part of technology and progress - anywhere you go now you see it - old
style garage, 4 working pumps (closed Sundays still) No air line and hoover
working crap bog etc, New style, almost a brand new mini - supermarket with
a Pret a Manger for sarnies and Starbucks for that 04.00am Coffee along with
16 pumps all working and number plate recognition cameras along with working
hoover and air pump.

Technology improves all our ways of life to varying degrees some are more
subtle and convinient when we chose them to be - ie the following can
trace your movements - mobile phones, cashpoints, speed cameras, CCTV in
shops, Passports, Loyalty cards etc to name a few

Old September 26th 03, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roger the cabin boy
writes
Anyway why are people
moaning, the idea initially was cause people were moaning that they had to
take the tickety out of their little wallety

What is the range of the Oyster Card? I saw an advert for it yesterday
where it was claiming "no more fumbling for your ticket", and then
pictured a fumbled-out oyster card held right on top of the reader.
Having to get the ticket out of your pocket seems to me to mean just as
much fumbling as before. Leaving it in my wallet means getting out the
wallet (which for me is more of a fumble than getting a paper ticket out
of my top pocket), and will encourage muggers.

Old September 26th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Bryer wrote in message ...

Quote:

Civil rights campaigners have expressed concerns about the new smart
travelcards introduced for London commuters.

Under the new system, Transport for London will be able to track a
commuter's movements and it plans to retain information on journeys
made for "a number of years"

Yeah, like this is _the_ most important civili liberties issue we
should be worried about. I wonder is Liberty has been whinging about
supermarket loyalty cards, as well?
Old September 26th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Lawrence Myers
writes
You can actually just place your jacket pocket on the Reader, without taking
the Oyster out of the pocket.

I keep my wallet in my inside pocket (as most people probably do). Will
this spawn a new variant on the Ministry of Silly Walks? Would it be
worse if my wallet was in my trouser back pocket?
Old September 26th 03, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Bryer wrote in article

Quote:

Civil rights campaigners have expressed concerns about the new smart
travelcards introduced for London commuters.

Under the new system, Transport for London will be able to track a
commuter's movements and it plans to retain information on journeys
made for "a number of years"

As with retention of mobile phone call data, the possibility of the
data being useful to prove an alibi ("and then I went straight home")
never crosses the 'minds' of Civil Rights Campaigners.

--
Mike D

Big Brother Anon London Transport 2 February 21st 04 01:02 AM
Big car owners face tax hike dave F London Transport 11 October 20th 03 01:45 PM
Dot Matrix replaces big boards at L/Pool St David Jackman London Transport 22 July 19th 03 10:11 PM