Old February 11th 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St. Pancras to E. Croydon by Thameslink

My sister and niece are coming down from Newcastle to visit me next
week. Does anybody know what platform at St. Pancras they need to go
in order to get to E. Croydon? Also, what is the end destination of
the train/s passing through East Croydon, so they can look out for it
on the notice board?

Adam.

Old February 11th 09, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:19:09 on Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Hobbyist
remarked:
My sister and niece are coming down from Newcastle to visit me next
week. Does anybody know what platform at St. Pancras they need to go
in order to get to E. Croydon?

They are underground, at the far lefthand corner, called A and B. Look
for "First Capital Connect".

Also, what is the end destination of the train/s passing through East
Croydon, so they can look out for it on the notice board?

Brighton.
Old February 11th 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Feb, 20:19, Hobbyist wrote:
My sister and niece are coming down from Newcastle to visit me next
week. Does anybody know what platform at St. Pancras they need to go
in order to get to E. Croydon?

Platform A. From King's Cross go out of the front entrance, down the
steps into the London Underground subway and straight on as far as
they can go, then up the stairs and turn right into St Pancras itself,
then go straight on, again as far as they can go, and they'll be in
the right part of the station.

They need to look for signs saying "Thameslink" or "First Capital
Connect", but note that FCC also run irrelevant-to-you services from
King's Cross.

Also note that the services south from SP do not run at weekends or
after 10pm.

Old February 11th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:19:09 -0800 (PST), Hobbyist
wrote:

My sister and niece are coming down from Newcastle to visit me next
week. Does anybody know what platform at St. Pancras they need to go
in order to get to E. Croydon? Also, what is the end destination of
the train/s passing through East Croydon, so they can look out for it
on the notice board?

What day are they coming and what time?

They'll be arriving into Kings Cross around 3:30pm on Tuesday 17th
Feb.

This is because there is no
Thameslink service across London late evenings and at weekends because
of major engineering works.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/cms/pages/home

Thanks for the URL. They should be ok coming in, but they'll have to
use the tube from Victoria on their way home the following Saturday -
not a problem, as I can give them directions for that.

I believe the platforms are "A" and "B" at St Pancras Domestic Station -
they are underground and below the level of the shopping arcade. Others
will know better than me on that score.

Although designed to direct people to the Eurostar platforms this page
gives some decent info.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...?iCmsPageId=77

The destination of trains for East Croydon will be Brighton.

--
Paul C

Thanks for all your help, Paul.
Old February 11th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that very specific and helpful info, Mr U Thant - not the
same one who ran the United Nations, I take it? :-)

Adam.

Old February 11th 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
12:19:09 on Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Hobbyist
remarked:
My sister and niece are coming down from Newcastle to visit me next
week. Does anybody know what platform at St. Pancras they need to go
in order to get to E. Croydon?

They are underground, at the far lefthand corner, called A and B. Look
for "First Capital Connect".

Also, what is the end destination of the train/s passing through East
Croydon, so they can look out for it on the notice board?

Brighton.

Thanks, Roland, for being so helpful and the first to reply. My sister
will know what to look for now.
Old February 11th 09, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Feb, 21:05, Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:

My sister and niece are coming down from Newcastle to visit me next
week. Does anybody know what platform at St. Pancras they need to go
in order to get to E. Croydon? Also, what is the end destination of
the train/s passing through East Croydon, so they can look out for it
on the notice board?

What day are they coming and what time?

They'll be arriving into Kings Cross around 3:30pm on Tuesday 17th
Feb.

Well they should get on to Thameslink just before the rush hour then -
trains are every 15 minutes to Brighton.

Which is definitely good - Thameslink can get a little 'intimate' at
rush hour!

At St. Pancras, Platform A is the southbound platform (for East
Croydon, Gatwick and Brighton etc).

This is because there is no
Thameslink service across London late evenings and at weekends because
of major engineering works.

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/cms/pages/home

Thanks for the URL. They should be ok coming in, but they'll have to
use the tube from Victoria on their way home the following Saturday -
not a problem, as I can give them directions for that.

A quick check shows the Victoria Line is actually running that weekend!
There is a restricted District Line service and no Circle line though
which may mean the Vic Line is a bit busier than usual.

Via Victoria and then the Victoria line is easy enough. Arsenal are
playing at home that Saturday (to Sunderland no less) but the tube
only really gets busy with football traffic from KX north and even
then it's not normally *that* busy.

I had originally misread this thread as St. P to E. Croydon by
*Tramlink*, which certainly intrigued me!
Old February 11th 09, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Feb, 22:32, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:38:34 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Via Victoria and then the Victoria line is easy enough. Arsenal are
playing at home that Saturday (to Sunderland no less) but the tube
only really gets busy with football traffic from KX north and even
then it's not normally *that* busy.

But let's hope that the OP's relations have seat reservations and are
not travelling on the 1730, 1800 or 1830 departures from Kings Cross.
I'm ignoring Grand Central who will probably have a fully booked train
for their late afternoon departure to Sunderland.

Quite - blimey, quite stupidly I hadn't thought ahead that far, I
merely thought the OP might be mildly amused that his Tynesider or
Northumbrian relatives might be brushing shoulders with a horde of
Wearsiders at KX. (Of course that's even assuming that they even are
Tynesiders / Northumbrians!)

As you say, those are the departures to miss!

I know many couldn't give a flying fig about football but it's not
about to go away so a good resource for checking football fixtures for
whatever reason is the BBC Sport 'My Club' pages - go to the club in
question's pages and then select 'Fixtures' on the left hand side,
which will provide all the home and away fixtures. Of course they're
subject to change but they're normally pretty set a few weeks
beforehand (though cup replays can pop up out of nowhere).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/default.stm

The BBC site offers similar pages for Rugby Union and League etc
(though beware the internationals too).

Meanwhile I'll enjoy seeing what Sunderland can muster up against the
Arsenal that saturday!
Old February 11th 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Hobbyist wrote:

Mr Thant wrote:

[...]

I think that was his brother, Herr Mr U Thant Sr.

tom

--
Annoying others means you are wise; it is when you annoy yourself that
you are truly enlightened. -- The Bullet Proof Monk
Old February 12th 09, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:56:25 on Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
Platform A. From King's Cross go out of the front entrance, down the
steps into the London Underground subway and straight on as far as
they can go, then up the stairs and turn right into St Pancras itself,
then go straight on, again as far as they can go, and they'll be in
the right part of the station.

If they have luggage it's easier to stay at ground level (unless they
use a lift to go down, and another to come back up).

My own advice would be to exit Kings Cross via the passage halfway along
Platform 8 (going outdoors rather than through the barriers to the
platforms 9-11). They will then see St Pancras directly ahead, and
should make for the entrance where the old and new halves of the station
building join.

Once inside, keep walking along the line of the "join" between the two
halves until they reach the far side, where they will find the barriers
for the Brighton service on their right.