Old February 13th 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

On 12 Feb, 19:24, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
On 12 Feb, 19:05, "Paul Scott" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

It is physically possible for trains to go direct from Wandsworth
Road straight onto the WLL for West Brompton, Kensington Olympia
and the rest.

They should do that once or twice a day, at start or end of service,
to get a train from NXG to/from the WLL. Could allow half of that so
called XC 'ghost bus' service to be binned...

Yes, I suggested the same myself back in those 'ghost bus' threads!
The 'LO trackbasher's special', at especially inhospitable hours!

We could write to the DfT and earn a consutancy fee...

How about diverting those one of those Greenford shuttles from Paddington to
Kensington Olympia as well? *Job done...

Paul S

165s are not route cleared and are probably out of gauge - so FGW
would need additional rolling stock.. which would involve the DfT in
deciding to move some trains around - and it says it doesn't decide
what or how many trains a franchise gets...

Tony

Old February 13th 09, 01:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Am Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:35:01 UTC, schrieb Mizter T
auf uk.railway :

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_...eleaseid=20938

Hallelujah! Phase 2b of the East London Line Extension, which will
link the existing line south of Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction via
the 'South London Line' railway has finally been given the full go-
ahead

in above linked statement I read "phase two of the East London Line,
which will complete the London Overground network and create an
orbital railway around the capital."

That would mean that the full orbital line is to be operated under
the "London Overground" brand and by LOROL, right?

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old February 13th 09, 01:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb, 14:36, "Lüko Willms" wrote:
* That would mean that the full orbital line is to be operated under
the "London Overground" brand and by LOROL, right?

The North London Line and West London Line are already under London
Overground control. The East London Line will open in the next year-
ish (as a London Overground/LOROL service), and this new branch will
mean trains from the ELL run along the South London Line to meet the
West London Line at Clapham Junction.

There won't be proper orbital trains, as the ELL/SLL will be operated
separately from the other lines. You'll have to change at Clapham
Junction and Dalston, Canonbury or Highbury to do a full lap. Possibly
at Willesden Junction too.

Old February 13th 09, 02:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb, 14:59, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 13 Feb, 14:36, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

* That would mean that the full orbital line is to be operated under
the "London Overground" brand and by LOROL, right?

The North London Line and West London Line are already under London
Overground control. The East London Line will open in the next year-
ish (as a London Overground/LOROL service), and this new branch will
mean trains from the ELL run along the South London Line to meet the
West London Line at Clapham Junction.

There won't be proper orbital trains, as the ELL/SLL will be operated
separately from the other lines. You'll have to change at Clapham
Junction and Dalston, Canonbury or Highbury to do a full lap. Possibly
at Willesden Junction too.

This TfL produced map *might* help to illustrate the matter - I found
it on the London Reconnections blog (note it's fairly large):
http://mizter.t.googlepages.com/ellx2.jpg

I say *might* as it doesn't do a good job of showing the situation at
Willesden Junction (top left). The West London Line which comes up
from Clapham Junction (via Shepherd's Bush) is shown as approaching
Willesden Jn station from the south west, as if trains could then
continue up on the DC line to Harlesden and eventually to Watford Jn -
that's wrong, as the line actually approaches more of less directly
from the south.

The line used by London Overground trains is shown on this streetmap
just above the arrow:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...2259&ay=182424

This means that trains can in fact travel from Clapham Junction up the
West London Line (WLL) through Willesden Junction and then on to
Kensal Rise and points east on the North London Line (NLL). A few peak
times services currently do just that, otherwise passengers have to
change between WLL and NLL trains at Willesden Jn. In the future there
may be more through services between the WLL and NLL.

Also, to elaborate on the Dalston situation - there will be two
separate stations there, Dalston Junction (on the ELLX) and Dalston
Kingsland (on the NLL) - the former is being (re)built at the moment
whilst the latter already exists. If I've got this right, on the ELLX
8tph will continue on from Dalton Jn to Highbury & Islington (calling
at Canonbury) whilst 4tph will terminate at Dalston Jn.
Old February 13th 09, 02:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Also, to elaborate on the Dalston situation - there will be two
separate stations there, Dalston Junction (on the ELLX) and Dalston
Kingsland (on the NLL) - the former is being (re)built at the moment
whilst the latter already exists. If I've got this right, on the ELLX
8tph will continue on from Dalton Jn to Highbury & Islington (calling
at Canonbury) whilst 4tph will terminate at Dalston Jn.

Another point that isn't clear, is what happens when the extra 4 tph from
Clapham Junction via the SLL, and the extra 2 tph peak only trains to/from
Crystal Palace enter the mix. AFAICT that could mean up to 14 tph extended
to H&I, as there only ever seems to be New Cross - Dalston Junction
terminators mentioned...

Paul S

Old February 13th 09, 03:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb, 15:41, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Another point that isn't clear, is what happens when the extra 4 tph from
Clapham Junction via the SLL, and the extra 2 tph peak only trains to/from
Crystal Palace enter the mix. *AFAICT that could mean up to 14 tph extended
to H&I, as there only ever seems to be New Cross - Dalston Junction
terminators mentioned...

It's been stated that the West Croydons will terminate at Dalston
Junction with New Crosses and Crystal Palaces running through. I don't
know how the peak extras or the phase 2 trains fit into this.

Old February 13th 09, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:59:01 UTC, schrieb Mr Thant
auf uk.railway :

There won't be proper orbital trains, as the ELL/SLL will be operated
separately from the other lines.

But nevertheless under the "London Overground" brand, right?

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old February 13th 09, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 13 Feb, 16:13, "Lüko Willms" wrote:

Am Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:59:01 UTC, *schrieb Mr Thant
*auf uk.railway :

There won't be proper orbital trains, as the ELL/SLL will be operated
separately from the other lines.

* But nevertheless under the "London Overground" brand, right?

Yes - TfL is responsible for these services, LOROL will operate them
(as part of the "London Rail Concession"), and they will be branded as
"London Overground".

Incidentally LO doesn't actually use terms like North London Line/
WLL/ ELL etc in passenger facing communications - instead they gets
described as "Stratford - Richmond", "Clapham Jn - Willesden Jn" etc.
Old February 14th 09, 03:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

A friend told me Wapping ELL station is open, and he saw a crowd of people
coming out last week. What might he have seen?

Old February 14th 09, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 14 Feb, 04:04, "John Rowland"
wrote:
A friend told me Wapping ELL station is open, and he saw a crowd of people
coming out last week. What might he have seen?

Brunel Museum organised a visit? Though I didn't hear about anything
like that, it's not on their website http://www.brunel-museum.org.uk/
and construction work is busily continuing so I'd say that's

unlikely.

Otherwise the usual suspects I guess - visits from TfL/ GLA/ DfT/
local council bigwigs, inspection by the Fire Brigade or HMRI,
journalists being given a peek, the contractors BBCJV showing their
work off to someone, or simply a visit from the senior people on the
project - no idea really. Or were they simply the rank and file
workers - the simplest explanation!