Old February 17th 09, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Catching offenders is on the cards

From the February 2009 On The Move (No 155), page 18.

"A suspect who verbally abused a member of staff was identified thanks
to Oyster card technology.

The exact gate and time the suspect used a Freedom Pass was noted,
narrowing the pool down to a small number of possible holders. British
Transport Police could then pnpoint a single card, and therefore the
suspected assailant..."

Some good advice is also given: "...Touch your Oyster staff card on
the reader immediately afterwards if you get the chance - that would
easily identify the transaction before yours as the suspect's card."

Old February 17th 09, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
From the February 2009 On The Move (No 155), page 18.

"A suspect who verbally abused a member of staff was identified thanks
to Oyster card technology.

The exact gate and time the suspect used a Freedom Pass was noted,
narrowing the pool down to a small number of possible holders. British
Transport Police could then pnpoint a single card, and therefore the
suspected assailant..."

Some good advice is also given: "...Touch your Oyster staff card on
the reader immediately afterwards if you get the chance - that would
easily identify the transaction before yours as the suspect's card."

I note that offering concessionary travel off-peak on buses is now the
law (although it would seem that offering them for tube/train/tram is an
additional "perk" in certain areas) and wondered if the operator or
issuer of the card has the right to revoke the card if the holder is
responsible for bad behaviour (like what is /supposed/ to happen with
the free bus pass for under 16s) and wondered if the same could happen
with the Freedom Pass.
Old February 17th 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I note that offering concessionary travel off-peak on buses is now
the law (although it would seem that offering them for
tube/train/tram is an additional "perk" in certain areas) and
wondered if the operator or issuer of the card has the right to
revoke the card if the holder is responsible for bad behaviour
(like what is /supposed/ to happen with the free bus pass for under
16s) and wondered if the same could happen with the Freedom Pass.

Visions of "Hells Grannies"! :-)

Funnily enough, I was actually thinking about whether it was allowed
whilst being given grief at work the other night from a passholder.
Whilst it was slightly irrelevant in my case (I work at a railway
station and his pass wasn't valid on the trains from this station - and
nonetheless I am sure he could have been removed under the
byelaws/Conditions of Carriage) it certaintly raised a few points in my
mind about the situation on buses.
Old February 17th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

I does concern me that passengers (rightly) must not abuse station staff. I
sat in a meeting at a contractor where a senior LUL director (very senior)
flew into a rage and let lose with a string of explitives that would have
got a passenger arrested but was ok in this case as it was levelled at the
Project Director of contractor.
Do the laws of harrassment not cover everybody.

Kevin

Old February 19th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Offramp writes
From the February 2009 On The Move (No 155), page 18.

"A suspect who verbally abused a member of staff was identified thanks
to Oyster card technology.

Hmmmm. For some reason this further evidence of our surveillance society
doesn't fill me with glee. Yes, it's nice a thug gets caught, but I
dread to think what else our wonderful police are up to :-)

--
Edward Cowling "Last Austral-B Heretic !!"

Old February 19th 09, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote ...
Hmmmm. For some reason this further evidence of our surveillance society
doesn't fill me with glee. Yes, it's nice a thug gets caught, but I dread
to think what else our wonderful police are up to :-)

Probably watching people who imply that they are not to be trusted.
;o)
--

Andrew

"She plays the tuba.