Old September 27th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oystercard from National Rail

Does anyone know which National Rail stations are issuing Oystercards? I
can't get one from a Tube station, as they don't accept all major credit
cards. The Tube accepts JCB (5th largest) but not Amex (3rd largest) or
Diners (4th largest).

Old September 27th 03, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nicholas F Hodder" typed

Does anyone know which National Rail stations are issuing Oystercards? I
can't get one from a Tube station, as they don't accept all major credit
cards. The Tube accepts JCB (5th largest) but not Amex (3rd largest) or
Diners (4th largest).

Amex & Diners charge merchants higher commission than Visa & Mastercard IIRC.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 27th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nicholas F Hodder" wrote in message
Does anyone know which National Rail stations are issuing Oystercards? I
can't get one from a Tube station, as they don't accept all major credit
cards. The Tube accepts JCB (5th largest) but not Amex (3rd largest) or
Diners (4th largest).

Yes - this is because Amex & Diners charge high transaction rates. A lot of
retailers have stopped taking them recently because of this.

As the great majority of credit card holders will have at least one Visa or
Mastercard this isn't usually an issue.

Maybe you should consider moving to a credit / charge card that is accepted
universally in the UK?

As for NR stations issuing Oystercards, there are a few IIRC (e.g. those
serving underground lines where there is only 1 ticket office run by the
TOC - Richmond is one such example I know of, Ealing Broadway may be
another).

Colin

Old September 27th 03, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin" wrote in message

"Nicholas F Hodder" wrote in message
Does anyone know which National Rail stations are issuing Oystercards?

can't get one from a Tube station, as they don't accept all major credit
cards. The Tube accepts JCB (5th largest) but not Amex (3rd largest) or
Diners (4th largest).

Yes - this is because Amex & Diners charge high transaction rates. A lot

of
retailers have stopped taking them recently because of this.

As the great majority of credit card holders will have at least one Visa

or
Mastercard this isn't usually an issue.

Maybe you should consider moving to a credit / charge card that is

accepted
universally in the UK?

I use Amex because of the perks (BA Miles etc). Rather than switching
credit card, I switch the place I buy my Travelcards from. I therefore
always buy them from National Rail stations.

As for NR stations issuing Oystercards, there are a few IIRC (e.g. those
serving underground lines where there is only 1 ticket office run by the
TOC - Richmond is one such example I know of, Ealing Broadway may be
another).

Is Stratford one of these?

Old September 28th 03, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:58:30 +0100, "Nicholas F Hodder"
wrote:

"Colin" wrote in message

"Nicholas F Hodder" wrote in message
Does anyone know which National Rail stations are issuing Oystercards?

As for NR stations issuing Oystercards, there are a few IIRC (e.g. those
serving underground lines where there is only 1 ticket office run by the
TOC - Richmond is one such example I know of, Ealing Broadway may be
another).

Is Stratford one of these?

No - it's now an LUL office. There is a NR window within the LUL Office
but whether it accepts NR payment types I do not know.

Finsbury Park (WAGN), Wimbledon, Queens Park, Barking, Walthamstow
Central, Upminster should all fall within the scope of NR stations that
will be able to retail Oystercards.
--
Paul C

Old September 28th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Colin
writes

cut

As for NR stations issuing Oystercards, there are a few IIRC (e.g. those
serving underground lines where there is only 1 ticket office run by the
TOC - Richmond is one such example I know of, Ealing Broadway may be
another).

Colin

Richmond does NOT currently sell Oystercards, as the APTIS machines are
still being modified. This I belief is the situation at other TOC
stations
--
Martin Summerfield
works for a TOC - but these are my own opinions
Old September 29th 03, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:00:55 +0100, "Colin"
wrote:

As for NR stations issuing Oystercards, there are a few IIRC (e.g. those
serving underground lines where there is only 1 ticket office run by the
TOC - Richmond is one such example I know of, Ealing Broadway may be
another).

Have they started issuing them at Richond already? I will get my next
renewal there if so.

Old September 29th 03, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , K
writes
wrote:

As for NR stations issuing Oystercards, there are a few IIRC (e.g. those
serving underground lines where there is only 1 ticket office run by the
TOC - Richmond is one such example I know of, Ealing Broadway may be
another).

Have they started issuing them at Richond already? I will get my next
renewal there if so.

No
--
Martin Summerfield
Old September 30th 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:26:31 +0100, Martin Summerfield
wrote:

Have they started issuing them at Richond already? I will get my next
renewal there if so.

No

Thanks - when will it be? My renewal is due at the start of January.
Old September 30th 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , K
writes
wrote:

Have they started issuing them at Richond already? I will get my next
renewal there if so.

No

Thanks - when will it be? My renewal is due at the start of January.

Should be Nov - Dec time
--
Martin Summerfield