Old June 29th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default National Rail affected by Tube Strike?

I notice that Silverlink are being affected by the LUL strike, being
unable to call at Highbury & Islington station from 2300 tonight and
National Rail site is reporting that Chiltern may be affected because
their shared section is signalled by LUL.

Does anyone know if the LUL strike action is likely to affect any of the
other National Rail services that use LUL stations or share LUL tracks?
I'm particularly interested in Thameslink and Finsbury Park-Moorgate as
they're part of my Plan B for getting from Waterloo to Old Street
tomorrow.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

Old June 29th 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Spyke wrote:
I notice that Silverlink are being affected by the LUL strike, being
unable to call at Highbury & Islington station from 2300 tonight and
National Rail site is reporting that Chiltern may be affected
because their shared section is signalled by LUL.

Does anyone know if the LUL strike action is likely to affect any
of the other National Rail services that use LUL stations or share
LUL tracks? I'm particularly interested in Thameslink and Finsbury
Park-Moorgate as they're part of my Plan B for getting from
Waterloo to Old Street tomorrow.

Thameslink are providing buses tonight (and tomorrow night from 21:00)
between Kentish Town and Blackfriars because of engineering works in the
Kings Cross area. I don't know if they will run through central London
tomorrow, but note that Farringdon station is managed by LU.

WAGN say on their site that the strike "may have some effect on Wagn
services if the route between Finsbury Park and Moorgate has to close."
(No evidence currently, as no late evening services are scheduled.)
--
Richard J.

Old June 30th 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:36:52 +0100, Spyke wrote:

Does anyone know if the LUL strike action is likely to affect any of the
other National Rail services that use LUL stations or share LUL tracks?
I'm particularly interested in Thameslink and Finsbury Park-Moorgate as
they're part of my Plan B for getting from Waterloo to Old Street
tomorrow.

At Moorgate during the evening peak there were notices suggesting that
national rail services would be running there during the strike. I've
certainly used Highbury and Islington on WAGN (again, the station is
managed by LU) in the past during a tube strike: I can't remember the
exact occasion but it sticks in my mind because I noticed a no 19 bus
that took exactly the same time from Highbury and Islington to Angel
that I did on foot

Martin
Old June 30th 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:36:52 +0100, Spyke wrote:

Does anyone know if the LUL strike action is likely to affect any of the
other National Rail services that use LUL stations or share LUL tracks?
I'm particularly interested in Thameslink and Finsbury Park-Moorgate as
they're part of my Plan B for getting from Waterloo to Old Street
tomorrow.

Seeing as your "tomorrow" is now today, I know it won't help, but for
the record:

Thameslink were running cross London services this morning according
to work colleagues, and I spoted services going through Farringdon and
Kings Cross.

Thameslink were running North-bound services from Moorgate - I know
both the 8:53am and 9:15am ran.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old June 30th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:00:27 +0100, Martin Rich
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:36:52 +0100, Spyke wrote:

Does anyone know if the LUL strike action is likely to affect any of the
other National Rail services that use LUL stations or share LUL tracks?
I'm particularly interested in Thameslink and Finsbury Park-Moorgate as
they're part of my Plan B for getting from Waterloo to Old Street
tomorrow.

At Moorgate during the evening peak there were notices suggesting that
national rail services would be running there during the strike. I've
certainly used Highbury and Islington on WAGN (again, the station is
managed by LU) in the past during a tube strike: I can't remember the
exact occasion but it sticks in my mind because I noticed a no 19 bus
that took exactly the same time from Highbury and Islington to Angel
that I did on foot

Martin

Bit late now :-(

I went in by Thameslink, they had doubled up the trains where possible
and introduced additional stops on the St A KX part of the Brighton
run.

Got to Farringdon and found a Metropolitan Train on the LUL line
Westbound.

So I promptly decamped for the Eastbound service and got one in a
couple of minutes.
(Had a job in EC3)

Went to Monument hoping for a District train in the light of the above
and found that they were not running, so had a nice walk across London
Bridge and hooked a Bedford train back since all other possible work
was on the other side of London.

Now sat looking at a crashed company computer and near 3 weeks
inputting since IBM support are not quite up to speed with Win98
machines running DOS systems...ho humm
Near to the point of breaking the rules and dropping their HDD into
one of my own machines and doing the job myself

Keith J Chesworth

www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk

Old June 30th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Jason
writes
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:36:52 +0100, Spyke wrote:

Does anyone know if the LUL strike action is likely to affect any of the
other National Rail services that use LUL stations or share LUL tracks?
I'm particularly interested in Thameslink and Finsbury Park-Moorgate as
they're part of my Plan B for getting from Waterloo to Old Street
tomorrow.

Seeing as your "tomorrow" is now today, I know it won't help, but for
the record:

Thameslink were running cross London services this morning according
to work colleagues, and I spoted services going through Farringdon and
Kings Cross.

Thameslink were running North-bound services from Moorgate - I know
both the 8:53am and 9:15am ran.

Thanks for the comments and updates folks.

Ended up walking to Blackfriars, taking Thameslink to Farringdon and
walking from there. Didn't want to chance waiting for a Thameslink or
Met/H&C to Moorgate and then Northern/WAGN as it was getting a bit too
close to my 10am appointment.

On the way back took WAGN from Old Street to Moorgate, Met to
Farringdon, Thameslink to London Bridge and SET to Waterloo East.

While waiting at Farringdon I saw plenty of H&C / Met trains running
through, so they at least appeared able to maintain some sort of service
on the central section of those lines.
Old July 1st 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Spyke wrote in message ...
In message , Jason
writes
[...]

Well that probably took a whole ten minutes off your walk then!:-)
Old July 1st 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Jim Brown
writes

Ended up walking to Blackfriars, taking Thameslink to Farringdon and
walking from there.

Well that probably took a whole ten minutes off your walk then!:-)

Probably true, but given how much my feet were killing me at the end of
the day, I'll take any help I can get :-).

Also, I had a serious motive in that if there had been a Moorgate train
at a reasonable time from Farringdon, I could've taken rail all the way
from Blackfriars to Old Street.