Old August 21st 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oystercards and National Rail

I commute into the London on SouthWest Train's and buy a variable length
season ticket (usually about 10 weeks) which includes zones 1 - 6 travel.
Does anyone know when/if I will be able to be issued with an oystercard for
the part of my journey in Central London.

Also why arn't the national rail companies starting to take up this
technologie, as it seems to be a good way to reduce ticketless travel
without increasing delays to travellers whilst checking their tickets.

Thanks

Jaime

Old August 21st 03, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jaime" wrote in message
I commute into the London on SouthWest Train's and buy a variable length
season ticket (usually about 10 weeks) which includes zones 1 - 6 travel.
Does anyone know when/if I will be able to be issued with an oystercard

for
the part of my journey in Central London.

Not in the near future I should think. TfL is introducing Oystercard readers
and issuing facilities at all stations (Overground & Underground) and on all
Buses within Greater London. (presumably they will also provide the TOCs
with portable validators for suburban services). Thus Londoners can use one
Oystercard for all their travel requirements.

However, TfL have no interest in introducing the equipment outside the
Greater London boundary (except on the Tube & buses which run outside where
subsidy arrangements are already in place), and the TOCs aren't going to
fork out to equip stations & staff outside London unless they are forced to.

Also why arn't the national rail companies starting to take up this
technologie, as it seems to be a good way to reduce ticketless travel
without increasing delays to travellers whilst checking their tickets.

Capital Expenditure. It would cost them greatly to install / modify barriers
at all their stations (and man the barriers), equip their ticket offices,
supply staff with validators, buy ticket stock, pay for comms links, pay for
maintenance etc. etc. etc. The benefits for a TOC are much less than for an
integrated transport provider in a large built up area (where the
concentration of passengers makes it much more worthwhile on a per station
basis).

I suspect the best you will be able to do is buy a normal card season ticket
to the 'edge of Zone 6', then a seperate Oystercard 6 zone ticket for travel
inside London.

Thanks

Jaime

Colin

Old August 21st 03, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

snip
I suspect the best you will be able to do is buy a normal card season

ticket
to the 'edge of Zone 6', then a seperate Oystercard 6 zone ticket for

travel
inside London.

Thanks for the reply, as pointed out by Paul that would be an expensive
option. What I prehaps meant to ask was is it possible to upgrade the zone
1-6 part of my season ticket to an oyster card for say an nominal fee (or
for free), so that I can have the benefit of the oyster card when travelling
within zone 1-6.

Thanks

Jaime

Old August 22nd 03, 04:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jaime" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the reply, as pointed out by Paul that would be an expensive
option. What I prehaps meant to ask was is it possible to upgrade the zone
1-6 part of my season ticket to an oyster card for say an nominal fee (or
for free), so that I can have the benefit of the oyster card when

travelling
within zone 1-6.

You can do that. Just buy your annual travelcard from a LUL operated ticket
office!

Old August 23rd 03, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Jaime" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the reply, as pointed out by Paul that would be an expensive
option. What I prehaps meant to ask was is it possible to upgrade the

zone
1-6 part of my season ticket to an oyster card for say an nominal fee

(or
for free), so that I can have the benefit of the oyster card when

travelling
within zone 1-6.

You can do that. Just buy your annual travelcard from a LUL operated

ticket
office!

Has anybody here actually done that?

TFL's website www.oystercard.com will only sell travelcards for Zones 1-6
and A-D. Will a LUL station sell you one valid to/from a station outside
these zones, such as my example Luton?

PaulO

Old August 23rd 03, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Oter" wrote in message

TFL's website www.oystercard.com will only sell travelcards for Zones 1-6
and A-D. Will a LUL station sell you one valid to/from a station outside
these zones, such as my example Luton?

Those LUL operated ticket offices that have TOC services, such as Moorgate,
Farringdon and Finsbury Park will certainly be able to.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Oter" wrote in message

On a related point, is Tottenham Hale operated by LUL or WAGN?

Tottenham Hale is LUL operated.

I have just been reliably informed that all LUL operated ticket offices
will, once Oystercards are being issued by them for season tickets, be
issuing Oystercards for zone 1 - 6 + valid by rail to Luton and similar. A
separate card will also be issued as the ATOCs, as previously discussed,
won't have Oystercard readers.

Old August 25th 03, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:30:58 +0100 Robin Mayes
said...

I have just been reliably informed that all LUL operated ticket offices
will, once Oystercards are being issued by them for season tickets,

Any idea when LUL ticket offices are going to start issuing Oystercards?

--
Phil Richards
London, N4