Old March 4th 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR Tower Gateway

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:52:48 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

I don't see that it wouldn't survive - there are many other routes with
lower usage. I also cannot recall there being any mention of the 135
being a part replacement for DLR - source for your comment?

I'm pretty sure TfL publicity at the time said that there had long
been an aim to introduce something but that it was prompted by the
requirement to provide for journeys from the Aldgate area to Canary
Wharf that might previously have used the DLR.

Unfortunately I don't still have a copy. But the service itself is
very welcome, and is by far the most civilised (if slow) way of
getting to Canary Wharf using a Travelcard. (The *most* civilised,
costing extra, being the boat).

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old March 4th 09, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
Slightly surprised no one has mentioned this but

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11275.aspx

says Tower Gateway has reopened.

The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen that in
Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

Old March 5th 09, 05:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 00:39:59 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen that in
Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

In Hamburg they stop altogether...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 5th 09, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen
that in Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

In Hamburg they stop altogether...

So how do you know which is which?

Old March 5th 09, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
wrote:

The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen
that in Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

In Hamburg they stop altogether...

So how do you know which is which?

If it's like Brussels or Cologne, there's a blue circular "Ahead Only"
traffic-type sign on one escalator and a red circular "No Entry" sign on
the other.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old March 5th 09, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:51:30 on Thu,
5 Mar 2009, Ian Jelf remarked:
The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen
that in Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

In Hamburg they stop altogether...

So how do you know which is which?

If it's like Brussels or Cologne, there's a blue circular "Ahead Only"
traffic-type sign on one escalator and a red circular "No Entry" sign
on the other.

Many countries have escalators that work "on demand" and usage is on a
combination of signage and context. It's common to have an "up"
escalator but only "down" stairs, or there's an obvious tidal flow that
the escalator is servicing (eg 'towards' baggage claim at an airport).
Old March 5th 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:51:30 on Thu, 5
Mar 2009, Ian Jelf remarked:
The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen
that in Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

In Hamburg they stop altogether...

So how do you know which is which?

If it's like Brussels or Cologne, there's a blue circular "Ahead Only"
traffic-type sign on one escalator and a red circular "No Entry" sign on
the other.

Many countries have escalators that work "on demand" and usage is on a
combination of signage and context. It's common to have an "up" escalator
but only "down" stairs, or there's an obvious tidal flow that the
escalator is servicing (eg 'towards' baggage claim at an airport).

Most (all?) of the ones on the Munich S/U-Bahn seem to work on a "who steps
on the actuator plate first" system. As you approach your stopped escalator
(with an illuminated sign showing two arrows pointing up and down) and step
onto the flat plate at the start, the escalator bursts into life, the double
arrow light at the start end changes to a single arrow pointing in the
direction of travel and the double arrow at the terminus end changes to a
"No Entry" type roundel. The escalator keeps going for as long as people
keep stepping on the actuator plate, then after it has moved sufficient
distance to transport the last person to step on the actuator to the other
end, it runs for about another 5 seconds then stops and goes back into
"first-come" mode. Of course, for the impartial observer, this provides for
some most amusing spectating of "can I get to the actuator before that
bugger coming the other way" type racing.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old March 5th 09, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen that in
Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

The escalators leading to the Churchill Place development from the rest
of the shopping areas also slow down when not being used.
Old March 5th 09, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:20:03 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Many countries have escalators that work "on demand" and usage is on a
combination of signage and context.

Including Hamburg, where my old local station, Kiwittsmoor, had one
escalator which was up in the morning and down in the evening, as I
recall.

I'm pretty sure I've also encountered ones that will go either way
depending who gets there first!

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 6th 09, 12:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...] Tower Gateway has reopened.

The new escalators slow down when no-one's using them... I've seen that in
Stockholm, but is this the first one in Britain?

I thought that the DLR had them at one of the Greenwich extension
stations - Cutty Sark maybe?

I dimly remember reading that they were tried on the underground
decades ago but were eventually set to run continuously, it being a
seemingly insoluble problem in the days of steam, cogs, valves and
pulleys.

Richard.