Old March 16th 09, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central London Heathrow PAYG

Hi all,

Just trying to work out what the best way of doing Central London to
Heathrow Airport on Oyster PAYG is (without using Piccadilly line).

I heard that there was a bus from Hayes/Harlington so might be worth
taking FGW or Heathrow Connect (interestingly their website says PAYG
not valid but the map seems to disagree) to there before changing.

Any better ways?

Kind regards,

Joe

Old March 16th 09, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
Hi all,

Just trying to work out what the best way of doing Central London to
Heathrow Airport on Oyster PAYG is (without using Piccadilly line).

I heard that there was a bus from Hayes/Harlington so might be worth
taking FGW or Heathrow Connect (interestingly their website says PAYG
not valid but the map seems to disagree) to there before changing.

Any better ways?

It depends on (a) where in Central London you are starting from, (b)
which terminal you are heading for at Heathrow, and (c) what you mean by
"better". (Faster? Cheaper? Fewer changes?) Why don't you want to use
the Piccadilly Line?

Heathrow Connect's website says that "Pre-pay Oyster" is not valid,
which suggests that it might be an old comment that hasn't been revised.
TfL's site says that PAYG is valid between Greenford/West Drayton and
Paddington, which would include the section of HC east of Hayes. I've
emailed HC for clarification.
--
Richard J.
Old March 16th 09, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Why not use the Piccadilly?

Given I'd be coming from Cockfosters, I think I would probably die from
bordeom (it's bad enough coming from Covent Garden!)
Old March 16th 09, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote:

Heathrow Connect's website says that "Pre-pay Oyster" is not valid, which
suggests that it might be an old comment that hasn't been revised. TfL's
site says that PAYG is valid between Greenford/West Drayton and
Paddington, which would include the section of HC east of Hayes. I've
emailed HC for clarification.

PAYG certainly is valid. Had to go out to Hayes & Harlington on business
last week, and there are multiple validators at the station. As it happens,
I ended up on fGW services both ways, but PAYG is also valid on Heathrow
Connect as far as West Drayton.

Three weeks earlier, business took me to South Greenford, where my Oyster
PAYG was also accepted.

Chris

Old March 16th 09, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 7:05*pm, "Chris Read" wrote:
Heathrow Connect's website says that "Pre-pay Oyster" is not valid, which
suggests that it might be an old comment that hasn't been revised. TfL's
site says that PAYG is valid between Greenford/West Drayton and
Paddington, which would include the section of HC east of Hayes. *I've
emailed HC for clarification.

PAYG certainly is valid. Had to go out to Hayes & Harlington on business
last week, and there are multiple validators at the station. As it happens,
I ended up on fGW services both ways, but PAYG is also valid on Heathrow
Connect as far as West Drayton.

Three weeks earlier, business took me to South Greenford, where my Oyster
PAYG was also accepted.

Legally speaking, all HC services are FGW services between London and
H&H, and therefore are subject to the same fares, conditions, etc (as
they took over the paths of existing FGW slow trains). So PAYG is
valid.

They are then HEx (and not National Rail at all) between H&H and the
airport, so PAYG, Travelcards, railcards, etc aren't valid.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old March 16th 09, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:34:21 -0000, Joe wrote:

Hi all,

Just trying to work out what the best way of doing Central London to
Heathrow Airport on Oyster PAYG is (without using Piccadilly line).

I heard that there was a bus from Hayes/Harlington

140 from outside the station. Takes about 15 mins to central bus station
for Terms 1/2/3. Free train from there for Terms 4 & 5

so might be worth taking FGW or Heathrow Connect (interestingly their
website says PAYG not valid but the map seems to disagree)

PAYG is valid Paddington to Hayes & Harlington on FGW or HC

Any better ways?

Not really. Met to Uxbridge then bus A10, if that takes your fancy
--
Fig
Old March 17th 09, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 11:04*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:34:21 +0000, Joe wrote:
Hi all,

Just trying to work out what the best way of doing Central London to
Heathrow Airport on Oyster PAYG is (without using Piccadilly line).

Unless you are a long way off the tube network then I'd use the tube.

I heard that there was a bus from Hayes/Harlington so might be worth
taking FGW or Heathrow Connect (interestingly their website says PAYG
not valid but the map seems to disagree) to there before changing.

I had reason to go to Hayes and Harlington last week and the train was
pretty quick. Shame the walk at Paddington to reach the damned platform
took almost as long as the train journey! *Seriously though Paddington
is a dreadful interchange unless you are very lucky with a H&C train and
the platform allocation for the FGW train. *The nightmare that is
Paddington station - stairs, overbridges, ramps etc and then queuing for
another ticket and then waiting for a train and then slogging to the
platform - is not worth contemplating. It's bad enough unencumbered but
with luggage there is no way I would use it to get to Heathrow.

The bus is the 140 which is a frequent route and runs 24 hours a day.
The stop is literally outside the front door of the station.

Any better ways?

Honest answer - if you can use the tube then do so. I use it from
Walthamstow changing at F Park and every journey I've made has been
flawless.

You can often catch up by one train changing at Finsbury Park and
Green Park, despite the long change, worth doing if the wrong terminal
comes along first.
How about Cockfosters - Finsbury Park - Oxford Circus - Ealing
Broadway for Heathrow Connect, then bus 140, or 350 if you're going to
Terminal 5 (not 24h)
IME Ealing - Oxford Circus is as fast or faster by the Central line.
Old March 18th 09, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Mar, 23:04, Paul Corfield wrote:

Seriously though Paddington
is a dreadful interchange unless you are very lucky with a H&C train and
the platform allocation for the FGW train. *The nightmare that is
Paddington station - stairs, overbridges, ramps etc and then queuing for
another ticket and then waiting for a train and then slogging to the
platform - is not worth contemplating. It's bad enough unencumbered but
with luggage there is no way I would use it to get to Heathrow.

Do you think Paddington is worse than other rail-tube interchange
points? It feels about the same to me as the ones I've used, and as
far
as the H&C line goes substantially better than most.

Ganesh