Old March 22nd 09, 02:55 AM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

Default Richard Barnbrook forces Boris to Celebrate St George's Day

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Question No: 1595 / 2008
Richard Barnbrook
Can the Mayor confirm how much funding he will be allocating to next
years St Georges Day celebrations in London?

Answer from the Mayor:
A GLA budget allocation of £100,000, the same as 2008, and subject to
approval, is currently projected for St George's Day celebrations in
2009.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ade-think.html
London Mayor Boris Johnson is to defy the politically correct brigade
by staging a week-long festival in the capital to celebrate St
George’s Day, with the red and white cross of England’s patron saint
flying proudly from his City Hall offices.

The move follows a series of incidents in recent years in which people
have been banned from displaying the English flag on the grounds that
it is racist and could offend Muslims because of St George’s
association with the Crusades.

But Mr Johnson believes such arguments are unjustified and plans a
series of events around St George’s Day on April 23 to honour the
historical achievements of England and the English.

Old March 22nd 09, 07:39 AM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Question No: 1595 / 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Boriss-plan-ce...
London Mayor Boris Johnson is to defy the politically correct brigade
by staging a week-long festival in the capital to celebrate St
George’s Day, with the red and white cross of England’s patron saint
flying proudly from his City Hall offices.

The move follows a series of incidents in recent years in which people
have been banned from displaying the English flag on the grounds that
it is racist and could offend Muslims because of St George’s
association with the Crusades.

But Mr Johnson believes such arguments are unjustified and plans a
series of events around St George’s Day on April 23 to honour the
historical achievements of England and the English.

This is such cobblers - there have been St Georges day celebrations in
London every year for the last few years. I went to the St Georges Day
celebration in Trafalgar Square a couple of years ago, which was one
of Ken Livingstones Mayor of LondON events. Richard Barnbrook hasnt
acheived anything, apart from boosting the off licence trade. Still
interesting to see the BNP talking about "forcing people to celebrate"
- sounds like a fun future ahead if they were elected.

Rob
Old March 22nd 09, 10:49 AM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

On Mar 22, 7:39 am, wrote:
This is such cobblers - there have been St Georges day celebrations in
London every year for the last few years. I went to the St Georges Day
celebration in Trafalgar Square a couple of years ago, which was one
of Ken Livingstones Mayor of LondON events. Richard Barnbrook hasnt
acheived anything, apart from boosting the off licence trade. Still
interesting to see the BNP talking about "forcing people to celebrate"
- sounds like a fun future ahead if they were elected.

I don't think many english give a stuff about St Georges day anyway.
Its only insecure nationalities and people unsure of their identities
that make a big deal out of their patron saints - the irish for
example , especially the phoney paddies in the states desperate to
carve out an identity for themselves even though they've probably
lived in the states for 4 generations and are about as irish as a big
mac.

B2003
Old March 22nd 09, 04:06 PM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 22, 12:55*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 03:49:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I don't think many english give a stuff about St Georges day anyway.
Its only insecure nationalities and people unsure of their identities
that make a big deal out of their patron saints

It's just a symbol of a national day, which is perhaps something
(looking at it a different way) that the English avoid precisely
*because* they are insecure about what their nationality represents.

If anyone particularly wants St George's day to be celebrated, they'd
be well-advised to distance themselves from Barnbrook when promoting
it, or else it will be a very small gathering of very unpleasant
people.

Events like St Patrick's Day and Pride get support from the general
population because they are associated with people who seem to be able
to organise non-threatening revelling; not something particularly
associated with the English as such, let alone the BNP.

Old March 23rd 09, 06:49 AM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Question No: 1595 / 2008
Richard Barnbrook
Can the Mayor confirm how much funding he will be allocating to next
years St Georges Day celebrations in London?

Answer from the Mayor:
A GLA budget allocation of £100,000, the same as 2008, and subject to
approval, is currently projected for St George's Day celebrations in
2009.

So some reporter asked a question (6 months ago), and was told that
money will be spent next year, as it was last year. How does this mean
said reported forced Boris' hand?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Boriss-plan-ce...

Ahh that would explain it

The move follows a series of incidents in recent years in which people
have been banned from displaying the English flag on the grounds that
it is racist and could offend Muslims because of St George’s
association with the Crusades.

{citation needed}
Old March 23rd 09, 01:16 PM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
It's just a symbol of a national day, which is perhaps something
(looking at it a different way) that the English avoid precisely
*because* they are insecure about what their nationality represents.

My nationality is British though, not English. I was born in the United
Kingdom and see no need to try and divide our country into different states.
Old March 23rd 09, 02:10 PM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
It's just a symbol of a national day, which is perhaps something
(looking at it a different way) that the English avoid precisely
*because* they are insecure about what their nationality represents.

My nationality is British though, not English. I was born in the
United Kingdom and see no need to try and divide our country into
different states.

You're obviously a social-climbing Scot or Taff!

Old March 23rd 09, 03:39 PM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

It's just a symbol of a national day, which is perhaps something
(looking at it a different way) that the English avoid precisely
*because* they are insecure about what their nationality represents.

My nationality is British though, not English. I was born in the
United Kingdom and see no need to try and divide our country into
different states.

You're obviously a social-climbing Scot or Taff!

Lol. Afraid not ;-). Born in Buckinghamshire then moved to Bristol and
now Birmingham.

Heh... must have a thing about living in places beginning with the
better 'B.'
Old March 24th 09, 08:48 AM posted to alt.politics.england.misc,uk.transport.london

On Mar 24, 3:10*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Joe wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
It's just a symbol of a national day, which is perhaps something
(looking at it a different way) that the English avoid precisely
*because* they are insecure about what their nationality represents.

My nationality is British though, not English. I was born in the
United Kingdom and see no need to try and divide our country into
different states.

You're obviously a social-climbing Scot or Taff!

and you're obviously a barra boy done bad...