Old April 14th 09, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly Turnham Green

I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham
Green the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old April 14th 09, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham
Green the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)

Late Met trains stopped at Willesden Green and Neasden not too long ago....
I think that has stopped now.

Old April 14th 09, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Ian Jelf
writes

I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham
Green the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)

I think the practice started in the early 60s, when District services
west of London were being cut back. Offering an interchange at Turnham
Green provided greater flexibility, but the additional stop was too
disruptive to the fast-running section of the Piccadilly line to be
offered during the main part of the Monday-Friday timetable.

There was a time in the 70s when the hours of the Turnham Green stoppers
were extended, but they were cut back again due to little usage. In
recent years, there has been much local demand (and a petition) to get
the Piccadilly to stop there throughout the day, but LU has maintained
the position that it would reduce the capacity of the line, at least
until signalling is improved.
--
Paul Terry
Old April 14th 09, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote
I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham Green
the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)

I've always liked to imagine that they have adjustable colour-coded signs
there. When the sparse service of Piccadilly Line trains is due, they change
them to blue. When the last Piccadilly train has gone, they turn'em green.

Sorry.
I'll go now.

Old April 14th 09, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 14, 9:02*am, Ian Jelf wrote:
I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham
Green the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? * How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? * (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide for London and the Heart of Englandhttp://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Actually, I think it's very common for the faster or longer distance
trains to make additional stops Sundays and evenings.

Often, it coincides with a lack of local services and/or some stations
closed, leaving only the longer distance trains to call at the
remaining stations.

For example, trains from Liverpool Street to Southend call at Gidea
Park, Harold Wood and Brentwood on Sundays, trains from Charing Cross
to Ramsgate and Margate call at Orpington and Sevenoaks on Sundays etc
etc.

Old April 14th 09, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 14, 4:22*pm, MIG wrote:
[...]

Or keeping it to LU, there used to be slow Amershams on Sundays only,
and still extra stops at Wembley Park on Sundays I think.
Old April 14th 09, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"MIG" wrote in message
On Apr 14, 4:22 pm, MIG wrote:
[...]

Never heard of a slow Amersham train they must of taken a while.

Old April 14th 09, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
news
In message , Ian Jelf
writes

I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham Green
the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)

I think the practice started in the early 60s, when District services west
of London were being cut back. Offering an interchange at Turnham Green
provided greater flexibility, but the additional stop was too disruptive
to the fast-running section of the Piccadilly line to be offered during
the main part of the Monday-Friday timetable.

As you say it allows connection into the District trains to/from Richmond
when the Ealin services are less frequent.

But IME, the evening service starts much later than it needs to without
disrupting the service. It could easily start an hour earlier and none of
the Picc pax would be disrupted.

tim

Old April 16th 09, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, John Salmon wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote
I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham Green
the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it come
to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel elsewhere
on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)

I've always liked to imagine that they have adjustable colour-coded
signs there. When the sparse service of Piccadilly Line trains is due,
they change them to blue. When the last Piccadilly train has gone, they
turn'em green.

Oh, i thought the whole point of having the Picc occasionally stop there
was so that in the peaks, it can whizz right past the waiting commuters,
inducing feelings of great envy, and thus turn 'em green.

tom

--
Teach us how to die well
Old April 20th 09, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Barons Court on the Picc and
replace it with Turnham Green?