Old October 5th 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Caught driving on a bus lane by camera - what to do?

Volker Finke wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message news

Accept you were wrong, got caught and are now being given the opportunity to
save some money for prompt payment. Shell out!!

Well, my idea was more to accept that I was wrong and NOT pay up. And
that exactly I was seeking advice for, not some moral preaching. But
thank you anyway.

Volker

Well if you admitting to be an immoral person, unprepared to accept the
consequences of your action, you should not be surprised if some of the
rest of us hope you are caught.

Old October 5th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"dave F" wrote in message new

Does not stand up in court if you refuse to pay the fine "because you are no
longer the owner". My gf transferred her new car a few weeks ago and she had
to sign a document confirming at date and time she was no longer the
registered driver for that vehicle. This was for both parties interest just
in case the vehicle was involved in a criminal activity (i.e. driven
dangerous, driven along bus lanes, speeding or if was involved in an
accident).

I am not thinking as far as court procedures. What I hope is that
authorities will eventually give up pursuing the matter since I no
longer own the car. Any experience?

daveF

PS. Why were you in a bus lane in the first place? Did you not think about
been fined?

No, of course not! I looked out for cameras while driving along but
could not see one. It was obviously well hidden.
Why was I there? I was in a hurry and wanted to bypass traffic. But
please, let us not make this a moral thing. I am trying to get away
with not paying a ticket here and would like to know which
consequences likely.
Old October 5th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Volker Finke wrote:
"dave F" wrote in message new

PS. Why were you in a bus lane in the first place? Did you not think
about been fined?

No, of course not! I looked out for cameras while driving along but
could not see one. It was obviously well hidden.

Some are hidden (or at any rate not all that obvious) on the front of buses.

Why was I there? I was in a hurry and wanted to bypass traffic. But
please, let us not make this a moral thing.

But it *is* a moral thing. You selfishly chose to make illegal use of a bus
lane because you were in a hurry, and now that you've been caught, you seek
to avoid paying the fine.

I don't know exactly how the liaison between the police or highway authority
and the DVLA works, but it's possible that DVLA would be asked for details
of who was the registered keeper of the car *on the date the offence was
committed*. If so, the fact that you subsequently sold the car would not be
relevant.
--
Richard J.

Old October 5th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

as it happens, I sold the car I used in this incident a few weeks
back. I was told that if you no are no longer the owner of a car that
tickets were issued to you don't have to pay them since auhorities
will eventually give up bothering you. Does the same thing apply to
driving in bus lanes?

You've sold the car YOU used in the incident??
So your logic being that though it was you in the
car, as you no longer own it, you're not liable??
I wonder if that logic would apply to murder-
"I did stab her with that knife but sold it the next day"
How did you ever get a licence in the first place....
Just thought, you probably are not licensed.....
nor taxed, nor qualified, nor insured..........

Old October 6th 03, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Volker Finke" wrote in message
om...
: I was recently filmed on video by a camera while driving on a bus
: lane. I was sent a ticket two days ago, demanding a fine of £50 which
: will be increased to £100 if I don't pay within 14 days.
: As it happens, I sold the car I used in this incident a few weeks
: back. I was told that if you no are no longer the owner of a car that
: tickets were issued to you don't have to pay them since auhorities
: will eventually give up bothering you. Does the same thing apply to
: driving in bus lanes?
: Does anyone know? Please let me know soon. I have got to 9 October to
: pay before the amount doubles.
: Thanks in advance

Assuming Bus Lane offences are treated the same way as those for parking,
after 28 Days without receiving payment, you will be sent a letter that is
(or at anyrate used to be) called "Notice to Owner", this will advise you of
your rights to appeal if you have grounds (which you admit you do not). The
DVLA will have your details for the date of the offence. If you respond with
an appeal, even if unrealistic, you will probably be able to delay payment
for a further few months at the risk of the total cost to you rising sharply
as admin charges are added. Soon however your case will be referred to debt
collectors who will be empowered to reclaim the fine and all the additional
costs including their own (albeit regulated) fees.

Normally the bailiffs do this by taking the car and auctioning it, although
in cases such as yours or where the car is worth too little, they can take
and sell anything in order to recover amount owed. If you have 'fought all
the way' this amount could be £350 by the end of the process. Of course what
they need to take to recover this amount could cost you far more to replace,
so paying up is best even at that late stage. I once heard that an owners of
a Range Rover came back from three months holiday to find that there £14,000
vehicle had been auctioned for less than £6,000, because their parking
permit had expired. Sure the Range Rover owners got their £5,650 change, but
they had no chance of reclaiming the £8,000 difference between the retail
value and what was raised at auction. If no responses are received, the
stages between offence and bailiffs can take as little as two months.

Thank you for volunteering to subsidise public transport.

Charles

Old October 6th 03, 05:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Volker Finke" wrote in message
om...

Why was I there? I was in a hurry and wanted to bypass traffic. But
please, let us not make this a moral thing. I am trying to get away
with not paying a ticket here and would like to know which
consequences likely.

Dear sir, **** off.

Next patient please, nurse.

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Old October 6th 03, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Oct 2003 14:55:58 -0700, (Volker Finke) wrote:

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..
On 5 Oct 2003 11:16:51 -0700,
(Volker Finke) wrote:

Robert Woolley wrote in message . ..

But if you aren't the car's registered keeper, then you're not
cheating them, are you?

You did return the tear-off slip from the V5 to DVLA when you sold the
car, didn't you?

Sure I did. The new owner already received his logbook.

Follow up then.

You did say that it is no longer your vehicle?

Rob.

Sorry, I am afraid I did not explain the situation very clearly. I
sold the car two days after I was caught on camera driving on a bus
lane. That means that I actually committed the offense while still
being the registered keeper.
I now would like to find out my chances of getting away without paying
on the grounds of having already sold the car. Basically, I would like
to know what would be expecting me if I ignore the fine.

"Well, I stabbed someone to death a few days ago, but I no longer own
the knife. Does that mean I can get off the murder?"
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk