Old April 29th 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground 'best metro in Europe'

wrote on 29 April 2009 19:01:49 ...
"Richard J." wrote in message
om...

Whenever the (timetabled) service interval is more than 4 minutes. They
can optionally drive manually if the intervals are between 2 and 4
minutes, but my impression is that few do so.

But there is no set time when they are required to manually operate their
trains to stay in practice, as is reportedly the case in Vienna?

As I said earlier, it's when the trains are timetabled to run more than
4 minutes apart, which in practice means in the evenings, and perhaps at
other times in summer when the service is less frequent. [Info from
Brian Hardy's Paris Metro Handbook, 3rd edition]

--
Richard J.
Old April 29th 09, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Mr Thant wrote:

On 29 Apr, 10:42, Ian Jelf wrote:
It's a long trine since I've been but the **vastly** over engineered and
little used infrastructure was incredible.

In Manchester, as part of the 2002 Commonwealth games site, they built
several major tram underpasses but didn't bother building the tram
line to go with them, which has onyl just now got proper funding:
http://tinyurl.com/d74bss

That looks like a brilliant cycling route!

tom

--
Indeed, as rarely as remix albums work out for the best, this record
bottoms out on par with Weezer tribute albums, deployed WMDs and birth
Old April 30th 09, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 29, 11:31*am, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 29 Apr, 10:42, Ian Jelf wrote:

It's a long trine since I've been but the **vastly** over engineered and
little used infrastructure was incredible.

In Manchester, as part of the 2002 Commonwealth games site, they built
several major tram underpasses but didn't bother building the tram
line to go with them, which has onyl just now got proper funding:http://tinyurl.com/d74bss

On another unbuilt branch, there's also this enormous, speculatively
built elevated station:http://www.gifford.uk.com/ProjectProfiles.asp?id=28

And a little way along the line, an elaborate finback bridge what I
can't find a picture of. Again, the branch itself has only just been
authorised.

(and of course there's the Thameslink ECML tunnels, which will sit
empty for at least 10 years. And Stratford International, which will
potentially never handle international passengers)

Down my way there's the platform extensions "for Networker" since
about 1993 that will never be used for twelve-coach trains, but
unfortunately have been signalled so that it's the end of the platform
near the entrance, with the benches and PIS, that never gets used,
while trains rush to the far end.
Old April 30th 09, 02:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
Maximum speeds of all Metro trains are between 70 and 100 kph.

BART is 75 mph or 121 kph.
--
Clive
Old April 30th 09, 02:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, Mr
Thant writes
And Stratford International, which will
potentially never handle international passengers)

Apart from when the Olympics are staged.
--
Clive