Old October 11th 03, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Britains Crap Roads, Answers wanted

Robin May wrote:
"PeterE" wrote the following in:

God, it makes it not much more than three times the price of using
a car.

But you don't have to shell out several thousand for a car, money for
road tax, some for insurance, and more for maintenance of the car.

But if you already own a car (like wot most families do) then those are sunk
costs and irrelevant to the decision.

And, if you buy cars that are three years old or over, even on a fully
costed basis running a car will only be about 20p a mile, so the car still
works out much cheaper for that particular journey.

Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

You said it, mate.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
"If laws are to be respected, they must be worthy of respect."

Old October 11th 03, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 23:20:28 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

Have any of these traffic planners ever been out to observe
the potential carnage that they are inflicting upon road users?
Even the construction companies installing them reckon that
they are lethal and more dangerous
than installing simple, cheap speed humps.

What would the construction companies know?

Every traffic measure is monitored by the responsible authority six months
before and after its installation. If they were lethal, they would not be
still installing them.

Well they are still using 6 inch wide overbanding between the 3 strips
of tarmac on the A6 out of Derby at Allestree golf course.
Successfully Murdered about 6 people in the 80's so they dropped the
speed limit to 30 from 50. Then painted diagonal white stripes all
over the middle of the road, then they stuck bollards down the center
too. But the excessive overbanding is still on the carriageway - just
where most people place their offside wheels. One little dab of the
brakes when it's just damp and the car steers like a tank! No offside
braking at all so it does a 90 degree turn straight up the verge.
they have moved all the lamp posts 20ft back from the road. The one I
hit is still bent after 20 years - they moved it back along with all
the others.

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Old October 11th 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

PeterE wrote:

JohnB wrote:
AstraVanMan wrote:

The fare from my local station in Hampshire to London, 2 adults 4
children is £51.50.
How can I get to Paris for less?

Bloody hell, that's very reasonable. Is that with a Family Railcard
(or whatever the latest incarnation of that is called) or just
standard fares?

Yep, with a Family Railcard.

God, it makes it not much more than three times the price of using a car.

Silly man.
No how about explaining your conclusion without knowing my other transport
needs?

John B

Old October 11th 03, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

PeterE wrote:

Robin May wrote:
"PeterE" wrote the following in:

God, it makes it not much more than three times the price of using
a car.

But you don't have to shell out several thousand for a car, money for
road tax, some for insurance, and more for maintenance of the car.

And I haven't.

But if you already own a car (like wot most families do) then those are sunk
costs and irrelevant to the decision.

But I don't and the costs *would* be relevant.
Several thousand pounds of releavance I'd guess.

And, if you buy cars that are three years old or over, even on a fully
costed basis running a car will only be about 20p a mile, so the car still
works out much cheaper for that particular journey.

You've really lost it this time haven't you in your blinkered assertion that
everyone needs to follow *your* mobility patterns.

Some people have moved on you know.

John B

Old October 11th 03, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Paul Weaver wrote the following in:
news
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:29:47 +0000, Robin May wrote:
But you don't have to shell out several thousand for a car, money
for road tax, some for insurance, and more for maintenance of the
car.

For long trips or holidays to - say - the lakes, it's probably
cheaper to buy a £200 car with 2 months tax/mot.

What about insurance?

You can always hire a car too

Are you really trying to say car hire is cheaper than travelling by
train? Are you sane?

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.

Old October 11th 03, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Robin May wrote:
Paul Weaver wrote the following in:
news
You can always hire a car too

Are you really trying to say car hire is cheaper than travelling by
train? Are you sane?

If you're talking about standard fares (not discounted ones booked way
advance) then it certainly is for many longer journeys, especially if you're
taking more than one person.

A standard class return from Manchester to London is £175 now, you know.

Are you really trying to say car hire, for two people, is dearer than that?
Are you sane?

Old October 11th 03, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:48:27 +0100, "PeterE"
wrote:

A standard class return from Manchester to London is £175 now, you know.

Going in the peak it is, yes. Off-peak, it's under 50 quid - and that
does not need to be booked in advance.

(Note: I do not seek to justify the above peak-time fare, as I
definitely believe it is extortionate and I would not pay it, and
travel off-peak or go by car, on principle).

Are you really trying to say car hire, for two people, is dearer than that?
Are you sane?

Multiple passengers tend to affect the figure. If 5 are travelling,
it's almost certainly cheaper to travel by car, hired or otherwise,
regardless of any booked-in-advance tickets.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old October 11th 03, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Robin May wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote the following in:
news

snip

You can always hire a car too

Are you really trying to say car hire is cheaper than travelling by
train? Are you sane?

Depends. Could I have hired a car for less than 80 quid for a weekend
with 200 miles of petrol?

Next time, I *will* hire a car.

Old October 11th 03, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Frank_Leake" wrote in message

Depends. Could I have hired a car for less than 80 quid for a weekend
with 200 miles of petrol?

Yep.

e-sixt.co.uk - £55 gets you a Ford Fiesta for the weekend inc. LDW,
insurance, VAT and unlimited mileage.

200 miles would cost around £15 in petrol.

Old October 11th 03, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

PeterE wrote:

Robin May wrote:
Paul Weaver wrote the following in:
news
You can always hire a car too

Are you really trying to say car hire is cheaper than travelling by
train? Are you sane?

If you're talking about standard fares (not discounted ones booked way
advance) then it certainly is for many longer journeys, especially if you're
taking more than one person.

So you don't phone up and book a hire car in advance?

A standard class return from Manchester to London is £175 now, you know.

So what.

Are you really trying to say car hire, for two people, is dearer than that?
Are you sane?

Can you get from Manchester to London return same day in a hire car for less
than £20?

Thought not.

John B