London Banter

-   -   Crossrail under way (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8116-crossrail-under-way.html)

Tom Anderson May 16th 09 02:36 PM

Crossrail under way

On Fri, 15 May 2009, MIG wrote:

On 16 May, 02:05, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:
Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,

Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone,

And Dulwich.

the one furthest north should be called Canary Wharf East, and in
keeping with Canterbury,

And Finchley.

the one furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will
avoid confusion.

A flawless plan.

tom

--
Science runs with us, making us Gods.

Andrew Heenan May 16th 09 02:54 PM

Crossrail under way

"Robert" wrote
Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?
Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,
Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone, the one furthest north should be
called Canary Wharf East, and in keeping with Canterbury, the one
furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will avoid
confusion.

If the Canary Wharf were to be found west of London, then one would
certainly be Canary Wharf General...

It's important not to mislead the commuters, so they'll probably go for
"City Crossrail"; this would avoid confusion in later years when the route
becomes "FirstCapitalDissect.

--

Andrew

Roland Perry May 16th 09 03:24 PM

Crossrail under way

In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat, 16
May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that and
the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the old
docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the first
place.

John Rowland May 16th 09 04:19 PM

Crossrail under way

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat,
16 May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that
and the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

The Jubilee Line station looks like it's entirely below ex-water to me.

John Rowland May 16th 09 04:29 PM

Crossrail under way

John Rowland wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat,
16 May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that
and the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

The Jubilee Line station looks like it's entirely below ex-water to
me.

In fact, IIRC they had originally planned teh Jubilee station to be beneath
water except for the two entrance pods, but H&S had kittens and they were
forced to turn the area between the pods into a park.

[email protected] May 16th 09 05:06 PM

Crossrail under way

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at 15:04:13 on
Sat, 16 May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that
and the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the
old docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the
first place.

Why? It's not as if the docks are required for shipping any more.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry May 16th 09 05:42 PM

Crossrail under way

In message , at 17:19:56 on Sat, 16
May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

The Jubilee Line station looks like it's entirely below ex-water to me.

I can assure you that the top half of the escalators down to the booking
hall, and the canopies over the entrances, are above water!

Roland Perry May 16th 09 05:50 PM

Crossrail under way

In message , at 12:06:12
on Sat, 16 May 2009, remarked:
Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the
old docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the
first place.

Why? It's not as if the docks are required for shipping any more.

They are part of the landscape. If not, why didn't they just fill them
in when they started building the area - it would have been so much
simpler.

Paul Scott May 16th 09 07:47 PM

Crossrail under way

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:06:12 on
Sat, 16 May 2009, remarked:

Why? It's not as if the docks are required for shipping any more.

They are part of the landscape. If not, why didn't they just fill them in
when they started building the area - it would have been so much simpler.

Having scanned a few of the many press releases now, some of the excavated
material from this site is being used to backfill the dock outside the
piling, up to the minimum depth 'at the access routes' - which I take to
mean the top cill at the entrance locks. I assume this reduces the pressure
against the lower levels of the concrete walls?

Another point I've just spotted is there are other station names that are
supposedly provisional - they quote Liverpool St and Farringdon for
instance, as they link to Moorgate and Barbican respectively.

To save searching can anyone remember where the other ends of the Bond St
and Tottenham Court Rd stations are - IIRC they aren't near existing
stations though.

Paul S

Abigail Brady May 16th 09 10:54 PM

Crossrail under way

On May 16, 8:47 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Another point I've just spotted is there are other station names that are
supposedly provisional - they quote Liverpool St and Farringdon for
instance, as they link to Moorgate and Barbican respectively.

Looking at street names I think "Smithfield" might be a reasonable
name for the Farringdon/Barbican Crossrail station, if you didn't want
to name it one of those, or possibly Charterhouse. Given Liverpool
Street's prominence as a terminus, I can't imagine them going for
"Finsbury Circus"...

--
Abi