Old May 15th 09, 06:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail under way

TimB wrote:
It's happening! As Boris said: 'The shovels have tasted earth'.

I see from the Crossrail site they are now referring to the station as
'Canary Wharf' and no longer 'Isle of Dogs'.

Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Paul S

Old May 15th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15 May, 19:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

Boris himself posted this picture which shows what's what:
http://twitpic.com/57hlg/full

Note that West India Quay and Canary Wharf DLR aren't even in the
photo. I think the walking route to both CW DLR and Jubilee Line
stations will be reasonably short (via the collonade of trees, bottom
right), but the only route that doesn't require crossing roads is to
West India Quay.

The random columns in that photo represent the ground floor of a new
as-yet-undesigned development, which will surely have indoor
connections to both Poplar DLR and the Crossrail station, and
potentially West India Quay, which of course would also mean an indoor
interchange route.

Finally, the man in the appallingly ill-fitting suit is apparently our
prime minister, though I can't find any planning documents that back
this up.

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Very likely.

Old May 15th 09, 10:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009
19:38:46 ...
TimB wrote:
It's happening! As Boris said: 'The shovels have tasted earth'.

I see from the Crossrail site they are now referring to the station as
'Canary Wharf' and no longer 'Isle of Dogs'.

The press release for today's announcement refers to "the renamed
Canary Wharf station".

Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

The WIQ/Crossrail positioning is roughly a mirror image of that for
Heron Quays / Jubilee Line. WIQ will probably be slightly nearer that
DLR Canary Wharf, but not much.

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?

By the way, I note that one of the new Crossrail maps shows "Heathrow
T1,2,3 and 4". Until now they have seemed reluctant to admit that
Crossrail won't serve T5, and indeed most of the maps still show just
"Heathrow" or "Heathrow Airport", and all of them show only one station
'blob'.

--
Richard J.
Old May 16th 09, 01:04 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Mr Thant wrote:

On 15 May, 19:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

Boris himself posted this picture which shows what's what:
http://twitpic.com/57hlg/full

Wow. I didn't realise it was going to grow out of the water like that. How
is it connected to dry land on the side we can't see? Two little bridges
like on the side we can, or more? The bridges on this side don't seem like
a lot of capacity for such a major station.

Note that West India Quay and Canary Wharf DLR aren't even in the photo.
I think the walking route to both CW DLR and Jubilee Line stations will
be reasonably short (via the collonade of trees, bottom right), but the
only route that doesn't require crossing roads is to West India Quay.

Can it be a colonnade if it's trees? I'm sure there's a word for this -
i've looked it up and found 'allee', but that's not what i was thinking
of.

Finally, the man in the appallingly ill-fitting suit is apparently our
prime minister, though I can't find any planning documents that back
this up.

Ah, well now there's a detail that will almost certainly have been dropped
by 2016 ...

tom

--
Beware! Inside pie, there are chickens, gamecubes, Moltres, Raichu,
and bacteria(in a good way!) -- Wikipedia
Old May 16th 09, 01:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

tom

--
Lilith doesn't exist, but it's an interesting story.

Old May 16th 09, 03:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:

Boris himself posted this picture which shows what's what:
http://twitpic.com/57hlg/full

the man in the appallingly ill-fitting suit is apparently our
prime minister.

Here he is in his spare time...
http://www.british-emporium.com/orig...bies5x7web.jpg

Old May 16th 09, 05:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 16 May, 02:05, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:
Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,

Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone, the one furthest north should be
called Canary Wharf East, and in keeping with Canterbury, the one
furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will avoid
confusion.

Old May 16th 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 May, 02:04, Tom Anderson wrote:
Wow. I didn't realise it was going to grow out of the water like that. How
is it connected to dry land on the side we can't see? Two little bridges
like on the side we can, or more? The bridges on this side don't seem like
a lot of capacity for such a major station.

I've had a dig through the planning documents. The arrangements a

North side, west end:
- Lifting pedestrian bridge (upper level) - in white in the photo
- Lifting pedestrian bridge (ground level) - in brown in the photo

(why yes sir, a double decker draw bridge)

North side, east end:
- Lifting road bridge (upper level)

South side, west end (the main entrance):
- Fixed pedestrian ramp leading all the way to North Colonnade (upper
level)
- Fixed pedestrian bridge (ground level)

South side, middle:
- Fixed pedestrian bridge (ground level)

South side, east end:
- Fixed road bridge with pedestrian access (upper level)
- Very wide fixed pedestrian area above dock (ground level)

Diagram he
http://tinyurl.com/ojt5nc

Also, the whole roof lattice is made out of WOOD!

Can it be a colonnade if it's trees? I'm sure there's a word for this -
i've looked it up and found 'allee', but that's not what i was thinking
of.

The roads either side of Canada Square and Canary Wharf DLR are called
North and South Colonnade, despite having no discernible colonnisity
that I've noticed. I've decided everything gets to be a colonnade
around here.