London Banter

-   -   Crossrail under way (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8116-crossrail-under-way.html)

Paul Scott May 15th 09 06:38 PM

Crossrail under way

TimB wrote:
It's happening! As Boris said: 'The shovels have tasted earth'.

I see from the Crossrail site they are now referring to the station as
'Canary Wharf' and no longer 'Isle of Dogs'.

Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Paul S

Mr Thant May 15th 09 08:46 PM

Crossrail under way

On 15 May, 19:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

Boris himself posted this picture which shows what's what:
http://twitpic.com/57hlg/full

Note that West India Quay and Canary Wharf DLR aren't even in the
photo. I think the walking route to both CW DLR and Jubilee Line
stations will be reasonably short (via the collonade of trees, bottom
right), but the only route that doesn't require crossing roads is to
West India Quay.

The random columns in that photo represent the ground floor of a new
as-yet-undesigned development, which will surely have indoor
connections to both Poplar DLR and the Crossrail station, and
potentially West India Quay, which of course would also mean an indoor
interchange route.

Finally, the man in the appallingly ill-fitting suit is apparently our
prime minister, though I can't find any planning documents that back
this up.

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Very likely.

Richard J.[_3_] May 15th 09 10:58 PM

Crossrail under way

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009
19:38:46 ...
TimB wrote:
It's happening! As Boris said: 'The shovels have tasted earth'.

I see from the Crossrail site they are now referring to the station as
'Canary Wharf' and no longer 'Isle of Dogs'.

The press release for today's announcement refers to "the renamed
Canary Wharf station".

Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

The WIQ/Crossrail positioning is roughly a mirror image of that for
Heron Quays / Jubilee Line. WIQ will probably be slightly nearer that
DLR Canary Wharf, but not much.

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?

By the way, I note that one of the new Crossrail maps shows "Heathrow
T1,2,3 and 4". Until now they have seemed reluctant to admit that
Crossrail won't serve T5, and indeed most of the maps still show just
"Heathrow" or "Heathrow Airport", and all of them show only one station
'blob'.

--
Richard J.

Tom Anderson May 16th 09 01:04 AM

Crossrail under way

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Mr Thant wrote:

On 15 May, 19:38, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

Boris himself posted this picture which shows what's what:
http://twitpic.com/57hlg/full

Wow. I didn't realise it was going to grow out of the water like that. How
is it connected to dry land on the side we can't see? Two little bridges
like on the side we can, or more? The bridges on this side don't seem like
a lot of capacity for such a major station.

Note that West India Quay and Canary Wharf DLR aren't even in the photo.
I think the walking route to both CW DLR and Jubilee Line stations will
be reasonably short (via the collonade of trees, bottom right), but the
only route that doesn't require crossing roads is to West India Quay.

Can it be a colonnade if it's trees? I'm sure there's a word for this -
i've looked it up and found 'allee', but that's not what i was thinking
of.

Finally, the man in the appallingly ill-fitting suit is apparently our
prime minister, though I can't find any planning documents that back
this up.

Ah, well now there's a detail that will almost certainly have been dropped
by 2016 ...

tom

--
Beware! Inside pie, there are chickens, gamecubes, Moltres, Raichu,
and bacteria(in a good way!) -- Wikipedia

Tom Anderson May 16th 09 01:05 AM

Crossrail under way

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

tom

--
Lilith doesn't exist, but it's an interesting story.

John Rowland May 16th 09 03:53 AM

Crossrail under way

Mr Thant wrote:

Boris himself posted this picture which shows what's what:
http://twitpic.com/57hlg/full

the man in the appallingly ill-fitting suit is apparently our
prime minister.

Here he is in his spare time...
http://www.british-emporium.com/orig...bies5x7web.jpg

MIG May 16th 09 05:52 AM

Crossrail under way

On 16 May, 02:05, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:
Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,

Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone, the one furthest north should be
called Canary Wharf East, and in keeping with Canterbury, the one
furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will avoid
confusion.

Mr Thant May 16th 09 10:06 AM

Crossrail under way

On 16 May, 02:04, Tom Anderson wrote:
Wow. I didn't realise it was going to grow out of the water like that. How
is it connected to dry land on the side we can't see? Two little bridges
like on the side we can, or more? The bridges on this side don't seem like
a lot of capacity for such a major station.

I've had a dig through the planning documents. The arrangements a

North side, west end:
- Lifting pedestrian bridge (upper level) - in white in the photo
- Lifting pedestrian bridge (ground level) - in brown in the photo

(why yes sir, a double decker draw bridge)

North side, east end:
- Lifting road bridge (upper level)

South side, west end (the main entrance):
- Fixed pedestrian ramp leading all the way to North Colonnade (upper
level)
- Fixed pedestrian bridge (ground level)

South side, middle:
- Fixed pedestrian bridge (ground level)

South side, east end:
- Fixed road bridge with pedestrian access (upper level)
- Very wide fixed pedestrian area above dock (ground level)

Diagram he
http://tinyurl.com/ojt5nc

Also, the whole roof lattice is made out of WOOD!

Can it be a colonnade if it's trees? I'm sure there's a word for this -
i've looked it up and found 'allee', but that's not what i was thinking
of.

The roads either side of Canada Square and Canary Wharf DLR are called
North and South Colonnade, despite having no discernible colonnisity
that I've noticed. I've decided everything gets to be a colonnade
around here.

Robert[_3_] May 16th 09 10:16 AM

Crossrail under way

On 2009-05-16 06:52:12 +0100, MIG said:

On 16 May, 02:05, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:
Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:

46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations,

and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,

Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone, the one furthest north should be
called Canary Wharf East, and in keeping with Canterbury, the one
furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will avoid
confusion.

If the Canary Wharf were to be found west of London, then one would
certainly be Canary Wharf General...
--
Robert

Paul Scott May 16th 09 10:23 AM

Crossrail under way

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations,
and have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

Perhaps Poplar should become Canary Wharf North East - might even be nearer
than Canary Wharf DLR?

Paul S

Paul Scott May 16th 09 10:24 AM

Crossrail under way

"Richard J." wrote in message
m...

By the way, I note that one of the new Crossrail maps shows "Heathrow
T1,2,3 and 4". Until now they have seemed reluctant to admit that
Crossrail won't serve T5, and indeed most of the maps still show just
"Heathrow" or "Heathrow Airport", and all of them show only one station
'blob'.

Are you talking about the (carriage style) line maps? Most info published
about service patterns has fairly categorically been about T4 via T123 for a
few years now.

Paul S

Roland Perry May 16th 09 10:52 AM

Crossrail under way

In message
, at
03:06:34 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
Wow. I didn't realise it was going to grow out of the water like that. How
is it connected to dry land on the side we can't see? Two little bridges
like on the side we can, or more? The bridges on this side don't seem like
a lot of capacity for such a major station.

Diagram he
http://tinyurl.com/ojt5nc

And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the docks).

Mizter T May 16th 09 11:05 AM

Crossrail under way

On May 15, 11:58*pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009
19:38:46 ...

I see from the Crossrail site they are now referring to the station as
'Canary Wharf' and no longer 'Isle of Dogs'.

The press release *for today's announcement refers to "the renamed
Canary Wharf station".

Boo! I far preferred it being named Isle of Dogs, it was an antidote
against all the slick presentation. Calling it Canary Wharf is just
boring. Unless the canaries come back.

Is there any detail available yet about direct interchange between the DLR
and Crossrail here - it is the DLR station at West India Quay that is
immediately above, so could there yet be some renaming of existing stations?

The WIQ/Crossrail positioning is roughly a mirror image of that for
Heron Quays / Jubilee Line. *WIQ will probably be slightly nearer that
DLR Canary Wharf, but not much.

Yes, West India Quay DLR will likely provide the slightly less fussy
route from the Crossrail station. No "direct interchange" as such, but
more or less as good as that.

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf Gone To The Dogs? Canary Wharf Taxpayers entrance? Canary
Woof? Insert Money Here? Canary Wharf (Doghouse)? Canary Wharf: Set
the Dog Amongst the Finches? Thatcherville? The Old Lady of Finchley
Wharf? We Used To Make Stuff, Y'Know? Stepney Marsh?

Richard J.[_3_] May 16th 09 11:10 AM

Crossrail under way

Paul Scott wrote on 16 May 2009
11:24:51 ...
"Richard J." wrote in message
m...

By the way, I note that one of the new Crossrail maps shows "Heathrow
T1,2,3 and 4". Until now they have seemed reluctant to admit that
Crossrail won't serve T5, and indeed most of the maps still show just
"Heathrow" or "Heathrow Airport", and all of them show only one station
'blob'.

Are you talking about the (carriage style) line maps? Most info published
about service patterns has fairly categorically been about T4 via T123 for a
few years now.

I'm talking about the route maps on the Crossrail site at
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/pages/routemaps03.html

That page lists the following ...

Route regional map May 2009.pdf - 209.7Kb
Route connections May 2009.pdf - 192.8Kb
Route connections with airports May 2009.pdf - 217.1Kb
Route linear map large print May 2009.pdf - 153.2Kb
Route linear map May 2009.pdf - 159.1Kb

.... of which only the last shows T1,2,3 and 4.

--
Richard J.

Mr Thant May 16th 09 01:24 PM

Crossrail under way

On 16 May, 11:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
03:06:34 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the docks).

Yes:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Roland Perry May 16th 09 01:42 PM

Crossrail under way

In message
, at
06:24:04 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the docks).

Yes:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that and
the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains were
below the surface. RETAIL!

John Rowland May 16th 09 02:04 PM

Crossrail under way

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
,
at 06:24:04 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
And the railway lines - deep underground I suppose (below the
docks).

Yes:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that and
the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

Tom Anderson May 16th 09 02:14 PM

Crossrail under way

On Sat, 16 May 2009, DW downunder wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
rth.li...
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Mr Thant wrote:

Note that West India Quay and Canary Wharf DLR aren't even in the photo. I
think the walking route to both CW DLR and Jubilee Line stations will be
reasonably short (via the collonade of trees, bottom right), but the only
route that doesn't require crossing roads is to West India Quay.

Can it be a colonnade if it's trees? I'm sure there's a word for this -
i've looked it up and found 'allee', but that's not what i was thinking of.

Avenue?

It is, isn't it? That word had drifted through my mind, but for some
reason i ignored it. Avenue!

tom

--
Science runs with us, making us Gods.

Tom Anderson May 16th 09 02:36 PM

Crossrail under way

On Fri, 15 May 2009, MIG wrote:

On 16 May, 02:05, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009, Richard J. wrote:
Paul Scott wrote on 15 May 2009 19:38:46 ...

Or will they stick with three totally separate Canary Wharf stations, and
have a pretty confusing set of 'outerchanges'?

Probably. *Do you have a better naming plan?

Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,

Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone,

And Dulwich.

the one furthest north should be called Canary Wharf East, and in
keeping with Canterbury,

And Finchley.

the one furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will
avoid confusion.

A flawless plan.

tom

--
Science runs with us, making us Gods.

Andrew Heenan May 16th 09 02:54 PM

Crossrail under way

"Robert" wrote
Probably. Do you have a better naming plan?
Canary Wharf West, Canary Wharf Market, and Canary Wharf Main Line!

There'll be as many as Actons before we know it,
Anyway, in keeping with Maidstone, the one furthest north should be
called Canary Wharf East, and in keeping with Canterbury, the one
furthest south should be called Canary Wharf East. This will avoid
confusion.

If the Canary Wharf were to be found west of London, then one would
certainly be Canary Wharf General...

It's important not to mislead the commuters, so they'll probably go for
"City Crossrail"; this would avoid confusion in later years when the route
becomes "FirstCapitalDissect.

--

Andrew

Roland Perry May 16th 09 03:24 PM

Crossrail under way

In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat, 16
May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that and
the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the old
docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the first
place.

John Rowland May 16th 09 04:19 PM

Crossrail under way

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat,
16 May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that
and the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

The Jubilee Line station looks like it's entirely below ex-water to me.

John Rowland May 16th 09 04:29 PM

Crossrail under way

John Rowland wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat,
16 May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that
and the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

The Jubilee Line station looks like it's entirely below ex-water to
me.

In fact, IIRC they had originally planned teh Jubilee station to be beneath
water except for the two entrance pods, but H&S had kittens and they were
forced to turn the area between the pods into a park.

[email protected] May 16th 09 05:06 PM

Crossrail under way

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at 15:04:13 on
Sat, 16 May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
http://tinyurl.com/q8spkt

Very revealing. Four floors of retail, then ticket hall below that
and the platforms below that.

I was wondering why they needed such a long building if the trains
were below the surface. RETAIL!

Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the
old docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the
first place.

Why? It's not as if the docks are required for shipping any more.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry May 16th 09 05:42 PM

Crossrail under way

In message , at 17:19:56 on Sat, 16
May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

They are below water, just like the Jubilee line station.

The Jubilee Line station looks like it's entirely below ex-water to me.

I can assure you that the top half of the escalators down to the booking
hall, and the canopies over the entrances, are above water!

Roland Perry May 16th 09 05:50 PM

Crossrail under way

In message , at 12:06:12
on Sat, 16 May 2009, remarked:
Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the
old docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the
first place.

Why? It's not as if the docks are required for shipping any more.

They are part of the landscape. If not, why didn't they just fill them
in when they started building the area - it would have been so much
simpler.

Paul Scott May 16th 09 07:47 PM

Crossrail under way

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:06:12 on
Sat, 16 May 2009, remarked:

Why? It's not as if the docks are required for shipping any more.

They are part of the landscape. If not, why didn't they just fill them in
when they started building the area - it would have been so much simpler.

Having scanned a few of the many press releases now, some of the excavated
material from this site is being used to backfill the dock outside the
piling, up to the minimum depth 'at the access routes' - which I take to
mean the top cill at the entrance locks. I assume this reduces the pressure
against the lower levels of the concrete walls?

Another point I've just spotted is there are other station names that are
supposedly provisional - they quote Liverpool St and Farringdon for
instance, as they link to Moorgate and Barbican respectively.

To save searching can anyone remember where the other ends of the Bond St
and Tottenham Court Rd stations are - IIRC they aren't near existing
stations though.

Paul S

Abigail Brady May 16th 09 10:54 PM

Crossrail under way

On May 16, 8:47 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Another point I've just spotted is there are other station names that are
supposedly provisional - they quote Liverpool St and Farringdon for
instance, as they link to Moorgate and Barbican respectively.

Looking at street names I think "Smithfield" might be a reasonable
name for the Farringdon/Barbican Crossrail station, if you didn't want
to name it one of those, or possibly Charterhouse. Given Liverpool
Street's prominence as a terminus, I can't imagine them going for
"Finsbury Circus"...

--
Abi

Andrew Heenan May 16th 09 11:04 PM

Crossrail under way

"Paul Scott" wrote..
To save searching can anyone remember where the other ends of the Bond St
and Tottenham Court Rd stations are - IIRC they aren't near existing
stations though.

Both extend widely to new entrances (eg TCR will new entrances at Hanocer
square and near Centre point), but neither will impinge on neighbouring
stations.

I'm pretty sure that L'pool St/Moorgate and Farringdon/Barbican are the only
ones where this is an issue.

Station naming is a big issue for the fire brigade - I recall a few years
ago a proposal to rename Monument as Bank, which has a certain logic, but
with some 12 entrances (I made that up - but there's plenty), the LFB
reckoned that getting to the right one in event of fire or terrorist
activity was going to be a tad difficult.
--

Andrew

Mr Thant May 16th 09 11:23 PM

Crossrail under way

On 16 May, 16:24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat, 16
May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

Not so. If it weren't for the last-minute addition of the retail
component, the station would have been built with exactly the same
layout, only with water where the retail will be.

Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the old
docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the first
place.

There's no other reason for it being built so much earlier than the
rest of the line. The Canary Wharf Group (or whatever they're called)
must be very keen to get those shops open.

Mizter T May 16th 09 11:56 PM

Crossrail under way

On May 17, 12:23*am, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 16 May, 16:24, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:04:13 on Sat, 16
May 2009, John Rowland
remarked:
Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to have platforms below water.

Not so. If it weren't for the last-minute addition of the retail
component, the station would have been built with exactly the same
layout, only with water where the retail will be.

Having built on every scrap of land they are now building on the old
docks - so inconsiderate for someone to have dug them in the first
place.

There's no other reason for it being built so much earlier than the
rest of the line. The Canary Wharf Group (or whatever they're called)
must be very keen to get those shops open.

Not so quick - there is another reason, namely that North Quay will be
the worksite for the Crossrail station. The Canary Wharf Group (CWG)
can't begin construction of the new office development on North Quay,
which already has planning permission, until the Crossrail station box
has been finished - which it should be by summer 2012. So the shops
aren't the driving force here.

There's more info in this CWG press release (look for the para
beginning "North Quay..."):
http://www.canarywharf.com/news/ns_news_t.asp?id=398

This bit's also interesting:
---quote---
Canary Wharf Group will construct Canary Wharf Crossrail station for a
fixed price of £500 million. £350 million of the station’s £500
million costs will be met from Crossrail’s £15.9bn budget with CWG
bearing the risk in relation to costs above the fixed price limit.

CWG’s contribution of £150 million will be applied against future
Crossrail Section 106 contributions for certain agreed sites which may
be required as proposed alterations to the London Plan.
---/quote---

So the station is CWG's 'baby', which perhaps explains the addition of
the four floors of retail (is this element really such a late addition
though?).

Roland Perry May 17th 09 06:50 AM

Crossrail under way

In message
, at
16:23:08 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
There's no other reason for it being built so much earlier than the
rest of the line. The Canary Wharf Group (or whatever they're called)
must be very keen to get those shops open.

Do they have to dig the tunnels that connect to the station first, or
does the station box come first?

Roland Perry May 17th 09 06:56 AM

Crossrail under way

In message , at 21:14:46 on
Sat, 16 May 2009, Paul Corfield remarked:
Hanover Square / Tenterden St behind Oxford St / Oxford Circus is the
eastern exit point for Bond St Station. IIRC there is no physical link
to Oxford Circus tube station. Only in London could we fail to provide
such a link.

Perhaps a "crowd control" feature. They want to spread the people out by
making them take a roundabout route.

Mizter T May 17th 09 09:49 AM

Crossrail under way

On May 17, 7:50*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
16:23:08 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:

There's no other reason for it being built so much earlier than the
rest of the line. The Canary Wharf Group (or whatever they're called)
must be very keen to get those shops open.

Do they have to dig the tunnels that connect to the station first, or
does the station box come first?

The station box, by the looks of it - the construction of which was
kicked off on Friday at Canary Wharf (or at least that's what the PR
people would have you believe!) . From a construction POV I'd imagine
that sequencing the station box first can only make sense - not sure
it'd really be possible or at least easy to do it the other way round.

John Rowland May 17th 09 12:29 PM

Crossrail under way

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
,
at 16:23:08 on Sat, 16 May 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
There's no other reason for it being built so much earlier than the
rest of the line. The Canary Wharf Group (or whatever they're called)
must be very keen to get those shops open.

Do they have to dig the tunnels that connect to the station first, or
does the station box come first?

If they don't want the tunnels to flood, they'd better build the station box
first!

Mr Thant May 17th 09 02:48 PM

Crossrail under way

On 17 May, 00:56, Mizter T wrote:
Not so quick - there is another reason, namely that North Quay will be
the worksite for the Crossrail station. The Canary Wharf Group (CWG)
can't begin construction of the new office development on North Quay,
which already has planning permission, until the Crossrail station box
has been finished - which it should be by summer 2012. So the shops
aren't the driving force here.

Ah, that makes sense.

So the station is CWG's 'baby', which perhaps explains the addition of
the four floors of retail (is this element really such a late addition
though?).

Yes. Original design with two separate islands (see drawing page 336):
http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk...er_08_pt09.pdf

Announcement of new design (July 2008):
http://www.canarywharf.com/news/ns_news_t.asp?id=344

(it may have always been envisioned something might go in the middle,
but certainly it was only as an optional extra)

[email protected] May 17th 09 03:56 PM

Crossrail under way

On May 17, 1:29*pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Do they have to dig the tunnels that connect to the station first, or
does the station box come first?

If they don't want the tunnels to flood, they'd better build the station box
first!

You beat me to it.

--
Nick