Old May 18th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "'Euston Arch' stones to be saved"

Excerpts...
---quote---
Stones believed to be part of a giant arch that used to stand at
Euston railway station are being retrieved from an east London
waterway.
[...]
The stones are being lifted from the Prescott Channel, where they were
used to fill a hole in the riverbed.
[...]
British Waterways will lift the stones from the channel, near Bromley-
by-Bow, on Monday to enable barges to use the lock to transport
materials in and out of the Olympic Park for the 2012 Games.

[...] the Euston Arch Trust [...] wants to rebuild the arch between
two existing lodges on Euston Road.
---/quote---

Old May 18th 09, 03:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote on 18 May 2009 14:32:16 ...

Excerpts...
---quote---
Stones believed to be part of a giant arch that used to stand at
Euston railway station are being retrieved from an east London
waterway.
[...]
The stones are being lifted from the Prescott Channel, where they were
used to fill a hole in the riverbed.
[...]
British Waterways will lift the stones from the channel, near Bromley-
by-Bow, on Monday to enable barges to use the lock to transport
materials in and out of the Olympic Park for the 2012 Games.

[...] the Euston Arch Trust [...] wants to rebuild the arch between
two existing lodges on Euston Road.
---/quote---

Why? It's not even a good example of a Greek-style arch (propylaeum if
you insist). The pediment (top triangle) is OK, but the rest is a
mish-mash. Pretentious and not very beautiful in my view.

They should sell it to Houston, Texas.
--
Richard J.
Old May 18th 09, 04:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote

Why? It's not even a good example of a Greek-style arch (propylaeum if
you insist). The pediment (top triangle) is OK, but the rest is a
mish-mash. Pretentious and not very beautiful in my view.

They should sell it to Houston, Texas.

Why? Lake Havasu City, Nevada would be better, next to London Bridge.

Peter
Old May 18th 09, 04:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:27:24 on
Mon, 18 May 2009, Peter Masson remarked:
They should sell it to Houston, Texas.

Why? Lake Havasu City, Nevada would be better, next to London Bridge.

"We have a sense of humour failure - HuuuEuston" "Beep".
Old May 18th 09, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 17:27:24 on
Mon, 18 May 2009, Peter Masson remarked:
They should sell it to Houston, Texas.

Why? Lake Havasu City, Nevada would be better, next to London Bridge.

"We have a sense of humour failure - HuuuEuston" "Beep".

You could sell it to Dublin...

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old May 18th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On May 18, 2:32*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Excerpts...
---quote---
Stones believed to be part of a giant arch that used to stand at
Euston railway station are being retrieved from an east London
waterway.
[...]
The stones are being lifted from the Prescott Channel, where they were
used to fill a hole in the riverbed.
[...]
British Waterways will lift the stones from the channel, near Bromley-
by-Bow, on Monday to enable barges to use the lock to transport
materials in and out of the Olympic Park for the 2012 Games.

[...] the Euston Arch Trust [...] wants to rebuild the arch between
two existing lodges on Euston Road.
---/quote---

Doric Arch Stones Recovered from Prescott Channel

Historian Don Cruikshank was in the water as a crane lifted some
stones out of the - appropriately named - Prescott Channel to deepen
the water for Olympic barges.

It is rumoured that about 200 stones are down there. The rebuildiong
is said arch at Euston is still not decided.

http://www.eustonarch.org/

CJB.
Old May 18th 09, 05:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
Mizter T wrote on 18 May 2009 14:32:16 ...
Excerpts...
---quote---
Stones believed to be part of a giant arch that used to stand at
Euston railway station are being retrieved from an east London
waterway.
[...]
The stones are being lifted from the Prescott Channel, where they were
used to fill a hole in the riverbed.
[...]
British Waterways will lift the stones from the channel, near Bromley-
by-Bow, on Monday to enable barges to use the lock to transport
materials in and out of the Olympic Park for the 2012 Games.
[...] the Euston Arch Trust [...] wants to rebuild the arch between
two existing lodges on Euston Road.
---/quote---

Why? It's not even a good example of a Greek-style arch (

Actually, I liked it very much (from pictures.......can't remember it in
place).

That said, I would think long and hard about a "rebuild", especially
given the dramatic changes in layout at Euston since then. It could go
somewhere else, I suppose. After all, Temple Bar was brought "back" to
a completely different location but looks (and functions) very well
there.

Now where might the Arch (sorry, "Propylaeum") go?

The pediment (top triangle) is OK, but the rest is a mish-mash.
Pretentious and not very beautiful in my view.

Oh well, we all differ.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old May 18th 09, 06:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
RPM RPM is offline

On May 18, 6:41*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Richard J.
writes

That said, I would think long and hard about a "rebuild", especially
given the dramatic changes in layout at Euston since then. * It could go
somewhere else, I suppose. * After all, Temple Bar was brought "back" to
a completely different location but looks (and functions) very well
there.

Now where might the Arch (sorry, "Propylaeum") go?

It has never been suggested it should be rebuilt in its original
location. That would mean placing it roughly where the gateline is for
the London Midland/London Overground platforms. Instead it is proposed
to re-site it between the existing lodges on Euston Road, something
that should have been done in 1962 IMHO.

*The pediment (top triangle) is OK, but the rest is a mish-mash.
Pretentious and not very beautiful in my view.

Oh well, we all differ.

Indeed, and it is the the importance of the arch in *railway*
architecture rather than architecture in general that merits its
restoration.

RPM
Old May 18th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

RPM wrote on 18 May 2009 19:37:11 ...
[...]

What importance? As far as I can see it had no effect at all on
subsequent railway architecture, where more effort and expense was put
into the station itself (such as at King's Cross and Paddington) than on
some great marketing promotion outside. At Euston, the arch was there
from the start in 1837, but it took another 20 years or more before more
than one arrival platform was provided.

--
Richard J.
Old May 18th 09, 08:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 18, 6:30*pm, CJB wrote:

[...]

Why "appropriately named"?