Old June 9th 09, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tulse Hill recent work

Just went home via Tulse Hill and can't understand how rumoured Oyster
gates are going to work without closing the subway to pedestrians.
Can someone pls enlighten me?

Martin J

Old June 9th 09, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 2:36*pm, martin j wrote:
Just went home via Tulse Hill and can't understand how rumoured Oyster
gates are going to work without closing the subway to pedestrians.
Can someone pls enlighten me?

Either the station is not getting gates, or if it does then the subway
will gated in and closed for public access. I don't know what the
plans are, but if I was to guess I'd say Tulse Hill won't be gated.
Old June 9th 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 3:29*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 9, 2:36*pm, martin j wrote:

Just went home via Tulse Hill and can't understand how rumoured Oyster
gates are going to work without closing the subway to pedestrians.
Can someone pls enlighten me?

Either the station is not getting gates, or if it does then the subway
will gated in and closed for public access. I don't know what the
plans are, but if I was to guess I'd say Tulse Hill won't be gated.

The default option for most South London stations seems to be
standalone validators (of the DLR 'armoured' type) by the exits
(including 'when the ticket office is closed' side gates, so I expect
(unless anyone knows differently) that will happen at Tulse Hill. For
example, Shortlands now has 4 - 2 either side of the entrance to the
ticket office and 2 either side of the side gate. Unusually generous
and commonsensical for UK transport provision :-P
Old June 9th 09, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 9 June, 16:06, wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:29*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 9, 2:36*pm, martin j wrote:

Just went home via Tulse Hill and can't understand how rumoured Oyster
gates are going to work without closing the subway to pedestrians.
Can someone pls enlighten me?

Either the station is not getting gates, or if it does then the subway
will gated in and closed for public access. I don't know what the
plans are, but if I was to guess I'd say Tulse Hill won't be gated.

The default option for most South London stations seems to be
standalone validators (of the DLR 'armoured' type) by the exits
(including 'when the ticket office is closed' side gates, so I expect
(unless anyone knows differently) that will happen at Tulse Hill. For
example, Shortlands now has 4 - 2 either side of the entrance to the
ticket office and 2 either side of the side gate. Unusually generous
and commonsensical for UK transport provision :-P

For some reason I don't understand, there is a proposal to close the
exit from platform 4 at Lewisham. There has never been any interest
in revenue protection at that station*, so I don't know why a
standalone validator wouldn't do the trick.

When I've been on that platform in the evening peak, it seems to me
that at least three quarters of the people use the exit that is
planned for closure, rather than cram themselves into the staircases,
not least because it leads to Tescos and the more residential parts.

*Apart from when the police evidently want the crowd slowed down
because they are looking for someone.