Old June 10th 09, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus

Is it gone now? Is there any footage online of a demolition ball smashing
the bloody thing to bits?

Old June 10th 09, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 10, 12:58*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Is it gone now? Is there any footage online of a demolition ball smashing
the bloody thing to bits?

This being the fountain next to Centrepoint (at the junction with
Charing X Road), which in a fit of planning optimism in the ability to
herd pedestrians about didn't have a pavement next to it, and was a
classic venue for youngsters to sit sit on the wall that enclosed the
fountain's pool opposite the Astoria and then for other youngsters
(friends or indeed strangers) to pretend - or occasionally not to
pretend - to push them in.

If so, sorry, dunno what's happening there now.

P.S. Is this now your chosen name Mr Jet, or am I going to have to
check each time an apparently new contributor pops up?! (And is it an
ode to our Victoria sewer hero?)
Old June 10th 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 June, 14:01, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 10, 12:58*pm, "Basil Jet"

wrote:
Is it gone now? Is there any footage online of a demolition ball smashing
the bloody thing to bits?

This being the fountain next to Centrepoint (at the junction with
Charing X Road), which in a fit of planning optimism in the ability to
herd pedestrians about didn't have a pavement next to it, and was a
classic venue for youngsters to sit sit on the wall that enclosed the
fountain's pool opposite the Astoria and then for other youngsters
(friends or indeed strangers) to pretend - or occasionally not to
pretend - to push them in.

I believe that, at the time the fountain was built, the roads around
Centrepoint were intended to become a roundabout/gyratory. Hence the
misplaced assumption that no pavement would be necessary, which has no
doubt caused many accidents over the decades.
Dominic
Old June 10th 09, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dominic" wrote

[snip]

I believe that, at the time the fountain was built, the roads around
Centrepoint were intended to become a roundabout/gyratory. Hence the
misplaced assumption that no pavement would be necessary, which has
no
doubt caused many accidents over the decades.
Dominic
-----------
Weren't the pedestrians supposed to be upstairs, as the Barbican
"Highwalk" system was extended to cover all Central London?

Jeremy Parker

Old June 11th 09, 03:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

P.S. Is this now your chosen name Mr Jet, or am I going to have to
check each time an apparently new contributor pops up?!

I had no idea I was important enough for anyone to care if I used a
different name every time!

I suspect that I'll stick with ths one. It has a visual impact that E.L.
O'Hesra lacked.

(And is it an ode to our Victoria sewer hero?)

No, to the Endemol guy! :-)

Old June 11th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 11, 3:24*am, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

P.S. Is this now your chosen name Mr Jet, or am I going to have to
check each time an apparently new contributor pops up?!

I had no idea I was important enough for anyone to care if I used a
different name every time!

You're kind of like the Professor emeritus of utl - you've been around
since the dawn of this ng and thus you are to be respected for your
seniority... said seniority also grants you licence to say whatever
you want at the high table! Or something!

I suspect that I'll stick with ths one. It has a visual impact that E.L.
O'Hesra lacked.

(And is it an ode to our Victoria sewer hero?)

No, to the Endemol guy! :-)

Aha, the modern Elizabethan sewer guy.
Old June 11th 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

You're kind of like the Professor emeritus of utl - you've been around
since the dawn of this ng and thus you are to be respected for your
seniority...

Although I feel more like the Stanley Unwin of the group...