London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 10th 09, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 400
Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus


Is it gone now? Is there any footage online of a demolition ball smashing
the bloody thing to bits?



  #2   Report Post  
Old June 10th 09, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus


On Jun 10, 12:58*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Is it gone now? Is there any footage online of a demolition ball smashing
the bloody thing to bits?


This being the fountain next to Centrepoint (at the junction with
Charing X Road), which in a fit of planning optimism in the ability to
herd pedestrians about didn't have a pavement next to it, and was a
classic venue for youngsters to sit sit on the wall that enclosed the
fountain's pool opposite the Astoria and then for other youngsters
(friends or indeed strangers) to pretend - or occasionally not to
pretend - to push them in.

If so, sorry, dunno what's happening there now.

P.S. Is this now your chosen name Mr Jet, or am I going to have to
check each time an apparently new contributor pops up?! (And is it an
ode to our Victoria sewer hero?)
  #3   Report Post  
Old June 10th 09, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Feb 2004
Posts: 40
Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus

On 10 June, 14:01, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 10, 12:58*pm, "Basil Jet"

wrote:
Is it gone now? Is there any footage online of a demolition ball smashing
the bloody thing to bits?


This being the fountain next to Centrepoint (at the junction with
Charing X Road), which in a fit of planning optimism in the ability to
herd pedestrians about didn't have a pavement next to it, and was a
classic venue for youngsters to sit sit on the wall that enclosed the
fountain's pool opposite the Astoria and then for other youngsters
(friends or indeed strangers) to pretend - or occasionally not to
pretend - to push them in.

I believe that, at the time the fountain was built, the roads around
Centrepoint were intended to become a roundabout/gyratory. Hence the
misplaced assumption that no pavement would be necessary, which has no
doubt caused many accidents over the decades.
Dominic
  #4   Report Post  
Old June 10th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 84
Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus


"Dominic" wrote

[snip]

I believe that, at the time the fountain was built, the roads around
Centrepoint were intended to become a roundabout/gyratory. Hence the
misplaced assumption that no pavement would be necessary, which has
no
doubt caused many accidents over the decades.
Dominic
-----------
Weren't the pedestrians supposed to be upstairs, as the Barbican
"Highwalk" system was extended to cover all Central London?

Jeremy Parker


  #5   Report Post  
Old June 11th 09, 02:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 400
Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus

Mizter T wrote:

P.S. Is this now your chosen name Mr Jet, or am I going to have to
check each time an apparently new contributor pops up?!


I had no idea I was important enough for anyone to care if I used a
different name every time!

I suspect that I'll stick with ths one. It has a visual impact that E.L.
O'Hesra lacked.

(And is it an ode to our Victoria sewer hero?)


No, to the Endemol guy! :-)




  #6   Report Post  
Old June 11th 09, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: May 2005
Posts: 6,077
Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus


On Jun 11, 3:24*am, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

P.S. Is this now your chosen name Mr Jet, or am I going to have to
check each time an apparently new contributor pops up?!


I had no idea I was important enough for anyone to care if I used a
different name every time!


You're kind of like the Professor emeritus of utl - you've been around
since the dawn of this ng and thus you are to be respected for your
seniority... said seniority also grants you licence to say whatever
you want at the high table! Or something!


I suspect that I'll stick with ths one. It has a visual impact that E.L.
O'Hesra lacked.

(And is it an ode to our Victoria sewer hero?)


No, to the Endemol guy! :-)


Aha, the modern Elizabethan sewer guy.
  #7   Report Post  
Old June 11th 09, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 400
Default The modern art fountain thing at St Giles Circus

Mizter T wrote:

You're kind of like the Professor emeritus of utl - you've been around
since the dawn of this ng and thus you are to be respected for your
seniority...


Although I feel more like the Stanley Unwin of the group...




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Art Deco Icons Basil Jet[_3_] London Transport 10 January 14th 13 11:07 PM
Art Nouveau at Leicester Square Basil Jet[_2_] London Transport 2 May 18th 12 11:58 AM
TV alert: Art Deco Icons -- London Transport Recliner[_2_] London Transport 1 November 2nd 09 01:35 PM
Platform Art Posters Simon London Transport 1 September 26th 05 10:39 AM
Modern DC EMUs Dominic London Transport 26 May 4th 04 12:10 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017