Old July 5th 09, 06:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Southern ITSO PAYG

Neil Williams wrote

On 4 Jul 2009 23:13:36 GMT, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

As I have previously noted, putting the touch out devices outside at
bus stops rather than inside the bus doesn't require more advanced
anything. Thus in Tfl terms a surcharge would be added on entry, say

on
all routes that go outside the zones. Boxes would be installed at

all
bus stops on line of route which would refund the surcharge on

touching
out if the stop is within the zones.

Though it might create an issue where people for whatever reason

(e.g.
traffic conditions) end up leaving not at the stop.

Same problem in Singapore, if discipline there allows doors to be
opened when not at a stop. If you don't board another bus or your
onwards route doesn't pass the stop before timeout it would cost you.

On the wish list (Paul C's more advanced technology) how about mobile
phones ?

The smartcard and mobile would work out that you were no longer on a
bus and your location was appropriate and give the refund.

--
Mike D

Old July 6th 09, 12:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

As I have previously noted, putting the touch out devices outside at
bus stops rather than inside the bus doesn't require more advanced
anything. Thus in Tfl terms a surcharge would be added on entry, say on
all routes that go outside the zones. Boxes would be installed at all
bus stops on line of route which would refund the surcharge on touching
out if the stop is within the zones.

Though it might create an issue where people for whatever reason (e.g.
traffic conditions) end up leaving not at the stop.

Which I do quite frequently - and I've joined a bus a few times when
it hasn't been at the stop either. Plus there's hail and ride routes
to consider too.
Old July 6th 09, 12:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 5, 3:19*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 23:32:05 -0700 (PDT), ticketyboo
wrote:
Singapore is a small, tightly managed state. The way they do things
largely doesn't translate to here, in particular touch out.

I'm not sure that is true. *Making sure people touch out can be
enforced by charging a maximum fare on boarding and refunding back on
alighting, so there is a pecuniary disadvantage to not touching out

There is, as Paul states, the potential issue of people touching out
and not alighting, but that applies equally to a paper ticket system
where you can buy the cheapest ticket and ride further, and can't be
that much of a problem or bus companies would use more inspectors to
catch people out doing it or move en-masse to flat fare, both of which
Stagecoach and First appear to show no interest in.

Nah, touch-out on buses in London would be a disaster, trust me!