Old June 18th 09, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Default Large Green Pole, Corner of Cheriton Sq Balham

Anyone know what the tall green pole in this photo is? On corner of
Elmfield Rd and Cheriton Sq Balham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF... 09,,0,-11.45

Old June 18th 09, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 June, 15:57, Rob wrote:
Anyone know what the tall green pole in this photo is? On corner of
Elmfield Rd and Cheriton Sq Balham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...e=FaHqEAMdrK39...

Possibly a disusued sewer vent. These were installed in various places
to allow excess gas to escape from sewers and tended to be tall so the
gas would disperse without creating a stink or a fire risk.
Old June 18th 09, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 18, 5:37*pm, Jon wrote:
On 18 June, 15:57, Rob wrote:

Anyone know what the tall green pole in this photo is? On corner of
Elmfield Rd and Cheriton Sq Balham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...e=FaHqEAMdrK39...

Possibly a disusued sewer vent. These were installed in various places
to allow excess gas to escape from sewers and tended to be tall so the
gas would disperse without creating a stink or a fire risk.

Why should you assume it is disused? Most, if not all, sewer vent
pipes still serve a useful purpose, albeit you don't see many new ones
installed these days.

Peter
Old June 18th 09, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:57:56 +0100, Rob wrote:

Anyone know what the tall green pole in this photo is? On corner of
Elmfield Rd and Cheriton Sq Balham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF... 09,,0,-11.45

Could it be a mobile phone mast, like this one at Whitestone Pond (which
happens, I believe, to be the highest point in London. A pond! How does
that work?)?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF... 09,,0,-11.45
There are 2 more nearby, if you pan around.

Old June 18th 09, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:21:32 +0100, Fig wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:57:56 +0100, Rob wrote:

Anyone know what the tall green pole in this photo is? On corner of
Elmfield Rd and Cheriton Sq Balham

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF... 09,,0,-11.45

Could it be a mobile phone mast, like this one at Whitestone Pond (which
happens, I believe, to be the highest point in London. A pond! How does
that work?)?

Ooops! The proper url, I hope:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...2,83.0 3,,0,5

--
Fig

Old June 19th 09, 06:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 June, 22:33, Fig wrote:

Whitestone Pond (which happens, I believe, to be the highest point in London. A pond! How does that work?)?

Artificial, originally used for watering military horses. Reservoir
and fountain nearby. Hampstead is the site of freshwater springs, and
by the early nineteenth century a number of reservoirs had been built
to control the water supply and convey it to London. The Hampstead
Water Company (founded in 1692) had control of the springs and
reservoir and Hampstead water was provided to the west end of London
via Kentish Town.

Old June 19th 09, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

On 18 June, 17:37, Jon wrote:
Possibly a disusued sewer vent. These were installed in various places
to allow excess gas to escape from sewers and tended to be tall so the
gas would disperse without creating a stink or a fire risk.

Good answer. Looking at this map http://www.sewerhistory.org/images/b...930_bmm315.jpg
that the South London High Level Extension sewer runs nearby

Thanks

Rob
Old June 20th 09, 05:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 June, 04:53, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

I'm not convinced. There is a big old house in Whitestone Lane called
Whitestone House, and it's built of white stone. I suspect the house is the
origin of the name, which spread to the lane and thence to the pond.

That Regency house has had several names, it was called Heath House
and then The Lawn before it became Whitestone House.
Old June 20th 09, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 June, 10:42, Ian Jelf wrote:

Sorry for the ambiguity.

No worries. In 1972-3 when I worked for the Ordnance Survey as a
surveyor's assistant, we kept in the Bedford Beagle an implement known
as "the slasher", and part of my duties consisted of having at the
vegetation which covered whichever spot Old Cliff the surveyor wanted
me to designate with the staff. Considering that sometimes we were
using survey points from the Somerset County Series the leafy woody
twiggy stuff could be fairly thick. While I was doing this he would
stand by the Kern Self Reducing Tacheometer smoking his pipe and say
how he hadn't needed a slasher in the Western Desert in 1942. You'd
look a bit suspicious wandering around Hampstead with such a tool
however.
Old June 20th 09, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Rob wrote:

Anyone know what the tall green pole in this photo is?

Has he just had a bit much vodka?

tom

--
Science Never Sleeps