Old October 13th 03, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Routeing advice

Hi All,

I work out at Stockley Park (just north of the Heathrow Spur Road), and live
near Swiss Cottage, and still haven't really worked out the best way home in
the evening... perhaps if there's anyone out there with some top tips, they
could share them with me!

My options are really:
- M4 in to Chiswick, then wriggle through London
- A40 in to Paddington, Maida Vale, Swiss Cottage
- A40 then North Circular, Brent Cross, Finchley Road

The M4 one seems to take ages once I get to the end of the motorway, so
normally go for the A40 option, but given I'm doing it in the rush hour,
anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

JP

Old October 13th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"J. Public" typed

Hi All,

I work out at Stockley Park (just north of the Heathrow Spur Road), and live
near Swiss Cottage, and still haven't really worked out the best way home in
the evening... perhaps if there's anyone out there with some top tips, they
could share them with me!

My options are really:
- M4 in to Chiswick, then wriggle through London
- A40 in to Paddington, Maida Vale, Swiss Cottage
- A40 then North Circular, Brent Cross, Finchley Road

The M4 one seems to take ages once I get to the end of the motorway, so
normally go for the A40 option, but given I'm doing it in the rush hour,
anyone got any ideas?

Leave the car at home!

Take the Metropolitan line from Finchley Road to Uxbridge (a fast
Amersham train, if available as far as Harrow on the Hill to save time
cos it doesn't stop at Wembley Park, Preston Road or Northwick Park) and
the A10 or U1 bus from Uxbridge to Stockley Park.

As your travel direction is in the opposite of the main flow, the trains
aren't crowded.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 14th 03, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:51:17 +0000 (UTC), J. Public
wrote in :

I work out at Stockley Park (just north of the Heathrow Spur Road), and live
near Swiss Cottage, and still haven't really worked out the best way home in
the evening... perhaps if there's anyone out there with some top tips, they
could share them with me!

My options are really:
- M4 in to Chiswick, then wriggle through London
- A40 in to Paddington, Maida Vale, Swiss Cottage
- A40 then North Circular, Brent Cross, Finchley Road

Dare I suggest the U1 or A10 bus to Uxbridge, then the first
train out, changing to the Metropolitan at Rayners Lane if necessary,
then onto the Jubilee at Wembley Park or Finchley Road. A Zone 2-6
Travelcard covers the buses as well as the tube.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old October 14th 03, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thank you both for the reply.

If I am using the tube, that's exactly the route that I take.

Only problem is that it takes a lot longer than the car:
Walk to Finch Rd 15 min
Finchley Road - Uxbridge: 50 min (0710 gets there at about 0800)
Wait for the bus (for some reason, all met tubes seem to get there about a
minute after the A10 leaves) 15 min
A10 - 15 min

Total of about an hour and a half.

If I leave in the car at 0600 (which I sometimes do) it takes half an hour,
but even if I hit the morning or evening rush, it only takes about an hour
and 10-15.

Henry

Old October 15th 03, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"J. Public" typed

Thank you both for the reply.

If I am using the tube, that's exactly the route that I take.

Only problem is that it takes a lot longer than the car:
Walk to Finch Rd 15 min

If Swiss Cottage is nearer, it might be worth using the Jubilee just one
stop. Interchange at Finchley Road is a quick, cross-platform hop.
Alternatively, a Brompton fold-up bike will reduce the time taken before
you board a train.

Finchley Road - Uxbridge: 50 min (0710 gets there at about 0800)

Really? it took less when I did it. ISTR being quoted 38min in 1991.
Uxbridge 'Out & About' Guide gives 34 mins, stopping at every station.
you can reduce this if lucky enough to hop on an Amersham train to
Harrow.

Wait for the bus (for some reason, all met tubes seem to get there about a
minute after the A10 leaves) 15 min
A10 - 15 min

This seems rather unlucky, though I grant you'd have to allow this time.
Again a folding bicycle can be really useful here.

Total of about an hour and a half.

I used to do Golders Green to Hillingdon hospital in an hour, either
with a folding bike on the Met or bicycle all the way.

If I leave in the car at 0600 (which I sometimes do) it takes half an hour,
but even if I hit the morning or evening rush, it only takes about an hour
and 10-15.

I rode on the North Circular & A40 when I left very early in the morning
(about 0530). Traffic wasn't bad at all. I used more minor roads through
Willesden if I left later, counting up to 70 sets of traffic lights

I don't think you can avoid congestion if you intend to drive in the
London rush hour, even if you travel against the flow.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old October 15th 03, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
[...]

According to journey planner you can do it in an hour and 17 by going down
to Paddington then Thames train to Hayes & Harlington and onto the U50. The
Met line to Uxbridge should only take 35 mins.

Paul