Old July 1st 09, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Watford to Heathrow

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 07:22:28 -0700 (PDT), burkey
wrote:

The passenger could get the London Midland/Southern service from
Watford Junction (Lifts available) to Harrow Wealdstone (99% of the
time this comes into platform 6) ramp available, then cross the road
and get on the 140 bus to Heathrow? No stairs needed here!

I didn't know about that one - thanks!

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old July 1st 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 22:42:26 +0100, Tony Polson
wrote:

If delays are especially bad the service will be cut short - not much
use if you have a plane to catch.

Useful to know.

From MK itself last time I used National Express (coach) - this wasn't
too slow nor too expensive (though I wasn't paying). The only
downside is a relatively low frequency and the possibility of getting
stuck if your flight is late.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 1st 09, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The passenger could get the London Midland/Southern service from
Watford Junction (Lifts available) to Harrow Wealdstone (99% of the
time this comes into platform 6) ramp available, then cross the road
and get on the 140 bus to Heathrow? No stairs needed here!

I didn't know about that one - thanks!

It takes ages and, depending on the time of day, can be heavily delayed
by traffic in Harrow, Northolt and Hayes. *

If delays are especially bad the service will be cut short - not much
use if you have a plane to catch.

It does run half-hourly through the night though, with a journey time
of 41 minutes.
Might be an idea for an 'earlyish' flight?

Old July 2nd 09, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Polson wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 1, 1:13=A0pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

Very good, clever stuff. Though in this situation I think I'd probably
still recommend taking the bus from Watford - one vehicle all the way
meaning less hassle.

Agreed. I think the bus also calls at all the terminals, and minimises
the amount of walking involved.

No it doesn't but the Virgin bus used to. The Green Line 724 calls at
the central bus station and terminals 4 and 5.

So bus seems best.

It's because I've tried it that I'm seeking an alternative.

--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn't be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /
Old July 2nd 09, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Frederick Williams
writes

Does the bus have proper storage for luggage? Will the driver or
conductor help with the handling of luggage?

The 140 is operated by large double-deckers with ample space for a
suitcase and overnight bag in the luggage area, but you won't get help
in loading it from the bus driver,

The reason I asked is that the Virgin bus driver always helped!

any more than you would from a train
driver when using the railways - your friend needs a minicab if that
type of service is required.

--
Paul Terry

Old July 2nd 09, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

If delays are especially bad the service will be cut short - not much
use if you have a plane to catch.

Useful to know.

From MK itself last time I used National Express (coach) - this wasn't
too slow nor too expensive (though I wasn't paying).

Now, there's a thought: train from Watford to MK, coach from MK to
Heathrow!

Old July 2nd 09, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Frederick Williams wrote:
Tony Polson wrote:
I think the bus also calls at all the terminals, and minimises
the amount of walking involved.

No it doesn't but the Virgin bus used to. The Green Line 724 calls at
the central bus station and terminals 4 and 5.

Thanks for the correction.

Old July 2nd 09, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 2, 10:28*am, Frederick Williams
wrote:

Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Frederick Williams
writes

Does the bus have proper storage for luggage? *Will the driver or
conductor help with the handling of luggage?

The 140 is operated by large double-deckers with ample space for a
suitcase and overnight bag in the luggage area, but you won't get help
in loading it from the bus driver,

The reason I asked is that the Virgin bus driver always helped!

It was a 'proper' coach, so the luggage got loaded into 'the hold'
didn't it?

(What is the proper name of that luggage space on a coach?)