Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 13th 09, 12:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another Oyster problem

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 03:55:02 -0700 (PDT),
Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 11, 9:37*pm, Andy wrote:
Just to point out that the "maximum cash fare" is different when using
National Rail and here £6.50 is charged upon entry to the system, with
correction to the 'real' Oyster fare upon exit. This is less than the
maximum cash fare for Watford Junction - Euston.

"Here" being Watford Junction, right? And you're absolutely sure of
that?

If it is indeed so, then that's an interesting development. The 'entry
charge' at NR termini stations where Oyster PAYG was accepted set at
£5 (as opposed to £4) some while back - this is justified as follows:
"The £5 represents the average National Rail cash single fare paid for
a journey in Greater London from these stations."
Source:
https://custserv.tfl.gov.uk/icss_csi...entityNum=3315

I can't find anything specific to Watford Jn in the 'Oyster Common
Questions' database. However, it would make sense in that otherwise
one could get a cheaper journey by simply not touching out at Euston
(as some trains arrive at ungated platforms) and therefore only being
charged £4 (the peak PAYG fare being £6, off-peak it's £3.50).

The fact it's £6.50 as opposed to the current NR single fare of £7.80
doesn't invalidate the principle - it's less rather than more, after
all. I dare say it might be set at 50p more (rather than £1.80 more)
than the peak PAYG fare to alleviate aggro, whilst providing enough of
an incentive to touch-out properly.

(I'm wondering if the 'entry charge' at Watford Jn might drop from
£6.50 to a lower amount - say the normal £4 - after 0930, when off-
peak PAYG fares come into effect?)

Yes it does. IIRC Peak time entry into WJ is 6.50. Peak time entry in to
Euston NR is 5.00[1]. Offpeak entry into WJ is 4.00, Offpeak entry into
Euston NR is 5.00.

[1] I do this one extremely rarely so if it's changed in the last
umpteen months then I wouldn't have noticed. The other three I've done
in the last couple of days.

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/