London Banter

-   -   Stations named after commercial entities (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8738-stations-named-after-commercial-entities.html)

[email protected] July 23rd 09 01:35 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

Roland Perry wrote:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

Basil Jet July 23rd 09 01:52 PM

wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an
extended recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

Several stations are named after pubs: IIRC the Angel pub at Angel is not
the original, which is gone.

Roland Perry July 23rd 09 02:08 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal Exchange I
was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is much less likely
to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into something completely
different with a new name, after people give up trying to run trade
shows in a falling consumer market.

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

As with many examples floated here, that's the name of the district now.

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

TimB July 23rd 09 02:33 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

On Jul 23, 3:08 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

[...]

another pub ??

[email protected] July 23rd 09 04:22 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an extended
recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal Exchange I
was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is much less likely
to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into something completely
different with a new name, after people give up trying to run trade
shows in a falling consumer market.

But the ExCel site could still physically exist, even if it was used
for something else. Just like the Custom House. What's the
difference? Why shouldn't the ExCel lend its name to the station and
the area, just like the Custom House did before it?

And I don't think another famous DLR station is anywhere near a
working Wharf for ships from the Canary Islands...

As with many examples floated here, that's the name of the district now.

Yes. That was the point I was sarcastically trying to make.

Although the same could be said for Olympia.

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

The Centrale shopping mall.

Talking of stations named (or renamed) after shopping malls, there's
also Surrey Quays.

Peter Masson[_2_] July 23rd 09 04:29 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

wrote

Talking of stations named (or renamed) after shopping malls, there's
also Surrey Quays.

That was Surrey Docks until all the docks got filled in.

Peter

Recliner[_2_] July 23rd 09 05:02 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

wrote in message

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

I see that the DLR has "Custom House for ExCel", the latter being
somewhere that might not survive in its current form during an
extended recession.

Why would that be a problem any more than the fact that there hasn't
been a working Customs House there for ages either?

The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal
Exchange I was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is
much less likely to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into
something completely different with a new name, after people give up
trying to run trade shows in a falling consumer market.

But the ExCel site could still physically exist, even if it was used
for something else. Just like the Custom House. What's the
difference? Why shouldn't the ExCel lend its name to the station and
the area, just like the Custom House did before it?

But the ExCel complex would be renamed if someone else took it over,
unlike Custom House.

Peter Smyth July 23rd 09 05:14 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

wrote in message

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "
remarked:

[...]

And Brent Cross.

Peter Smyth

Arthur Figgis July 23rd 09 05:43 PM

Stations named after commercial entities

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
06:35:07 on Thu, 23 Jul 2009, "

And don't forget Centrale in Croydon.

What's that named after?

The Centrale shopping centre. Sorry, "shopping and lifestyle
destination" http://www.centrale.co.uk

Tram information systems pronounce it as in Amsterdam, but buses seem to
say it as in Milton Keynes.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Mr Thant July 23rd 09 05:55 PM

On 23 July, 15:08, Roland Perry wrote:
The Customs House still exists I presume (just like the Royal Exchange I
was in yesterday, but re-purposed). The Custom House is much less likely
to disappear than ExCel is to be turned into something completely
different with a new name, after people give up trying to run trade
shows in a falling consumer market.

I've fairly certain the actual Custom House has been demolished.