Old July 27th 09, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Night buses

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:10:55 +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

It's even worse for the N18. The N18 runs to Sudbury Town every 10
minutes, with every third bus continuing to Harrow Weald. However, the
timetables at stops (e.g. Trafalgar Square) don't mention the fact
that any of the buses terminate at Sudbury, i.e. they make it look
like there's a 10-minute-frequency service through to Harrow Weald.

The worst part is that there's no indication of what times the Harrow
Weald buses actually run, which I think is unacceptable for a
half-hourly service.

If it's this timetable here...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...__000062ee.pdf
... the times of the Harrow Weald buses are hudden in the footnotes... but
there is no clue as to where the other buses terminate, so unless you are
going exactly to Harrow Weald, this timetable doesn't tell you whether you
have 6 buses an hour or 2. It seems to me that the main timetable panels
having an S after the time of each Sudbury bus would be a much better
solution, but I guess perceived simplicity is a higher priority than actual
simplicity. They need to learn from Einstein's (mis)quote... Make things as
simple as possible, but not simpler.

The link doesn't work; I'm not sure if the PDFs produced by the
journey planner are identical to the timetables posted at bus stops.
It's a while since I looked at one, but I definitely didn't notice any
footnote to that effect. I'll check again next time I'm in the area.

Old July 27th 09, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
[...]

Okay: go to http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk and click Timetables, then
Route Number N18, then Towards Long Elmes, then Trafalgar Square.

Old July 27th 09, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , asdf
writes

The link doesn't work; I'm not sure if the PDFs produced by the
journey planner are identical to the timetables posted at bus stops.
It's a while since I looked at one, but I definitely didn't notice any
footnote to that effect. I'll check again next time I'm in the area.

You could always use ...

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/N018.pdf

.... for a traditionally formatted (and very clear) timetable of the sort
that *used* to be posted at bus stops.
--
Paul Terry
Old July 27th 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:07:03 +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

OK, that timetable doesn't look like the one at the stops (although
the patronising "about every 10 mins" part is the same). I also don't
know what's up with "Long Elmes" as a destination - I've never heard
of it, and the buses certainly say "Harrow Weald" on the front. (I
suspect it's the name of the last stop that the route calls at, and
these PDFs are auto-generated using the stop data. That might also
explain why the route diagram depicts the first half of the route in
great (perhaps too much) detail, then inexplicably misses out the
second half of the route.)
Old July 27th 09, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"plcd1" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 12:37 am, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

However the N29 is so frequent, even to
Enfield Town, that is hardly a disaster if you have to wait 12 minutes
for the next one. If it was only every 30 mins then I agree that would
be more irksome.

I guess you may not use the N29 too often of a Friday / Saturday very late
night...

I often find myself with a 30 Min wait at TCR either for a bus in service,
or one that want to stop and let more people on. I also often find myself
with a 20 min wait at Wood Green where every other bus comes in and turns
short.

This is quire regular now - so much so if I know I'm going to be on a late
service then I will either go another way, or walk back to T-Sq from where
ever I am so I can actually get on the thing.

Old July 27th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 06:48:52 -0700 (PDT), Lucas
wrote:

On 27 July, 11:07, David wrote:
The 65 has recently been extended from Kingston to Chessington world
of adventures at night only.

I expected them to bring back the "N65" designation but they didn't,
instead they put an awkward half-blue-background map on the bus stops,
[...]

How is this signposted on the bus stops?
If a bus stop is along the at-night-only part of the route yet the bus
doesn't have an N-prefix, wouldn't it make it look as if the bus
stopped there at all times?

The "65" is on a blue background (as for an N route), with the text
"Nights only".

I'd have thought that the extended night route would revert to being
the N65, but perhaps *that* is what TfL wanted to avoid, rather than
necessarily the creation of a new "N".

Are there any other blue "Nights only" plates out there?

Richard.
Old July 28th 09, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in
:

Is the N29 the only bus where half of the buses stop short (on Friday
and Saturday nights, half the buses terminate at Wood Green)?

N207 - half the buses Su/M to Th/F and one-third of buses F/Sa and Sa/Su go
to Uxbridge; the rest stop at Hayes By-Pass.
Old July 28th 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 27, 9:34*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
I guess you may not use the N29 too often of a Friday / Saturday very late
night...

I often find myself with a 30 Min wait at TCR either for a bus in service,
or one that want to stop and let more people on. I also often find myself
with a 20 min wait at Wood Green where every other bus comes in and turns
short.

This is quire regular now - so much so if I know I'm going to be on a late
service then I will either go another way, or walk back to T-Sq from where
ever I am so I can actually get on the thing.

That's been my experience too - so much so that I try to avoid it
entirely these days.
Last time I was out near TCR, I walked down to Trafalgar Square for an
N29, and was rather satisfied with my seat - until it the bus turned
short at Finsbury Park.

Old August 1st 09, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Martin Deutsch" wrote in message

That's been my experience too - so much so that I try to avoid it
entirely these days.
Last time I was out near TCR, I walked down to Trafalgar Square for an
N29, and was rather satisfied with my seat - until it the bus turned
short at Finsbury Park.

Never had one turn there on me before. Walking to T-Sq is fine if your in
town, but I often find myself in other exotic lands where I don't have the
option to walk back to anywhere useful at all and just end up sitting at the
side of the road for an hour waiting for 'something useful'

There is always the N279 (depending where you want to go) but I don't have
that delight often.