Old August 7th 09, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default T1,2,3 to St. James

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:32:11 -0400, wrote:

In a couple of weeks the Mrs. & I will be arriving at Heathrow T3 headed
for
St. James Underground Station. Due to our Travelcards and railpasses,
taking LU all the way or taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then
LU
to St. James would incur no additional cost to us. The Journey Planner
shows virtually identical travel times regardless of routing. As we
travel
extremely light, luggage and stairs are not an issue. Does anyone here
have
a preference? Or, assuming "good service" reported by all affected lines
should we simply go as the spirit moves us. We have ridden both services
downtown before, so we are familiar with each experience, however never
really paid attention to the timing or ease of connecting. Thanks.

If it was me I would take the tube from Heathrow to Hammersmith and then
cross platform interchange to the District Line. If you are travelling
at peak times and would rather have a seat than speed then I would
change earlier at Acton Town to the District Line as you're more likely
to get a seat there than at Hammersmith.

There are loads of other permutations but most involve very busy
stations and stairs and escalators. I wouldn't touch the Heathrow
Express because (for me) it's expensive, it takes you to Paddington and
I work for LUL so I have to support the tube ;-)

--
Paul C

Back home, now. I chose to heed the advice of the expert so, thank you
Paul. In both directions, we switched at Acton Town. Everything went
extremely smooth.

Old August 8th 09, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 18:00:35 -0400, wrote:

Back home, now. I chose to heed the advice of the expert so, thank you
Paul. In both directions, we switched at Acton Town. Everything went
extremely smooth.

Jolly good and thanks for the feedback - did you have a good visit?

--
Paul C

A spectacular time, thanks. It has been over a decade since we'd been to
the UK in the summer (read: expensive high season) so we got to do things
that are not possible in the winter. Plus we were able to tick off another
20 miles on our mild goal of walking the entire Thames Path.