London Banter

-   -   level crosings on the LUL (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/934-level-crosings-lul.html)

Mait001 October 27th 03 10:36 PM

level crosings on the LUL

I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6 miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

Marc.

Angus Bryant October 27th 03 11:50 PM

level crosings on the LUL

"Mait001" wrote in message
I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6

miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer

than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

Is it one of level crossings by the West London Line at Willesden? I
vaguely remember there's one on the West London line itself just after it
leaves the WCML, and another in the Eurostar depot at North Pole. However,
as to whether these are nearer than Barnes and actually inside zone 2 I
don't know. I'm probably imagining their presence anyway.

Angus

Peter Smyth October 28th 03 12:26 AM

level crosings on the LUL

"Mait001" wrote in message
I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6 miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer

than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

There is a level crossing just north of Acton Central on the NLL which is in
zone 2 although I am not sure if it is any closer than Barnes.

Peter Smyth

Clive D. W. Feather October 28th 03 07:43 AM

level crosings on the LUL

In article , Mait001
writes
I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

Mitre Bridge, crossed by the Rugby/Watford to South Coast trains?

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Jim Brittin October 28th 03 08:18 AM

level crosings on the LUL

In article m,
says...
There used to be a level crossing on the Central Line somewhere on the
eastern section around Leyton. But it was closed to road traffic (the road
was turned into two cul-de-sacs [1]) many decades ago. I can't remember the
details now.

[1] culs-de-sac?

Are you thinking of Eagle Lane, Snaresbrook?

Robin Cox October 28th 03 11:13 AM

level crosings on the LUL

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Mait001" wrote in message
I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6 miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer

than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

There is a level crossing just north of Acton Central on the NLL which is in
zone 2 although I am not sure if it is any closer than Barnes.

There's another two just south of South Acton, one on the NLL, one on
the freight curve that connects the NLL to the Hounslow loop line.
For road users both these crossings are on Bollo Lane.

However, Barnes is closer to CX than Acton.

Robin

Bradley H. Davis October 28th 03 11:25 AM

level crosings on the LUL

"Jim Brittin" wrote in message
m...
In article m,
says...
There used to be a level crossing on the Central Line somewhere on the
eastern section around Leyton. But it was closed to road traffic (the

road
was turned into two cul-de-sacs [1]) many decades ago. I can't remember

the
details now.

[1] culs-de-sac?

Are you thinking of Eagle Lane, Snaresbrook?

Well there used to be a level crossing at South Woodford Station, (Then
known as George Lane) which was there when the steam trains ran here. The
crossing was removed when the Central Line arrived after the war and this
action cut George Lane into two. There may have also been a level crossing
between South Woodford and Woodford at the place where Churchfields becomes
a dead end and Gordon Road begins from a dead end on the other side of the
railway. There is also an old "railway type looking" house right next to the
railway at that location.

Another level crossing was in place at Woodford Station and it suffered the
same fate as the one in George Lane again when the electrified rails arrived
here after the war. There are pictures available in books about the local
area, and an exhibition was displayed in South Woodford library a few years
back.

PhilD October 28th 03 11:28 AM

level crosings on the LUL

"Angus Bryant" wrote in message ...
Is it one of level crossings by the West London Line at Willesden? I
vaguely remember there's one on the West London line itself just after it
leaves the WCML, and another in the Eurostar depot at North Pole. However,
as to whether these are nearer than Barnes and actually inside zone 2 I
don't know. I'm probably imagining their presence anyway.

I reckon the answer is "Mitre Bridge", just south of Willesden. The
passenger service would be the one from Kensington Olympia to the
Great Western Main Line at Acton (or vice versa).

PhilD

umpston October 28th 03 12:00 PM

level crosings on the LUL

"IanB" k wrote in message ...

This got me thinking,
are there any level crossings on the London Underground
(surface lines, obviously). National Rail also have barrow
crossings and pedestrian footpath (and at least one shared
footpath/cyclepath) crossings at rail level but is there
anything similar on the L.U. (including shared Nat. Rail
sections)?

There was one on the Ongar branch, at North Weald station. The road
was only a farm track but the manually opperated gates were
interlocked with the semaphore signalling for the passing loop.
Because of this crossing I have heard it was still necessary to man
the North Weald signal-box for quite some time after the passing loop
was taken out of use (from memory, autumn 1976) - for some reason the
signalling could not immediately be switched out or decommissioned.

Other level crossings on the Loughton/Epping branch were replaced with
flyovers or underpasses, presumably in the 1950s.

Mait001 October 28th 03 02:08 PM

level crosings on the LUL

Is it one of level crossings by the West London Line at Willesden? I
vaguely remember there's one on the West London line itself just after it
leaves the WCML, and another in the Eurostar depot at North Pole. However,
as to whether these are nearer than Barnes and actually inside zone 2 I
don't know. I'm probably imagining their presence anyway.

Angus

Well remembered, Angus - that's the exact one I had in mind: I only
"discovered" it myself recently when en route from Clapham Junction to Watford
on the W.L.L.

This is within the Zone 2 bondary as far as I can make out, since both Olympia
and Willesden, the stations either side, are.

Marc.