Old September 14th 09, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tottenham Hale

According to notices placed on stop U immediately outside Tottenham Hale
station, route 123, 230 & W4 heading eastwards are not stopping there
due to congestion. No road works in the area and nothing mentioned on
live travel news on the TfL website?

Any idea what's going on?

And on the subject of the 230, this went over to double deckers at least
5 years ago IIRC. Tottenham spider maps (possibly others?) still show
the route as a hail & ride from Wood Street station to the terminus at
Upper Walthamstow.

--
Phil Richards, London, UK

Old September 14th 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:52:49 +0100, Phil Richards
wrote:

And on the subject of the 230, this went over to double deckers at least
5 years ago IIRC. Tottenham spider maps (possibly others?) still show
the route as a hail & ride from Wood Street station to the terminus at
Upper Walthamstow.

It still is hail and ride as far as I know. IIRC none of the residents
on that stretch of route want a bus stop outside their house. The
current arrangement is the honourable compromise and stops then
barricading the road trying to prevent any buses from using the route.

How much would it cost to fit buses with dozer blades?

tom

--
Civis Britannicus sum.
Old September 14th 09, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Health and safety restrictions.

ARGH! Do they not do any passenger *inconvenience assessment* before
doing stupid stuff like that?
Old September 14th 09, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
According to notices placed on stop U immediately outside Tottenham Hale
station, route 123, 230 & W4 heading eastwards are not stopping there
due to congestion. No road works in the area and nothing mentioned on
live travel news on the TfL website?

Any idea what's going on?

This actually came up quite recently - in early July to be precise -
that thread, "Tottenham Hale Bus Station" can be read here via gg:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...f90a02859c1bb/

Health and safety restrictions. If the "through" routes run through
there millions of people will die (I exaggerate). I have tried to tackle
this internally with no success as I used to catch a bus on the way home
there. Now I don't and have to get across two sections of Forest Road
one of which as no pedestrian phase. Still I am sure that is a much
safer arrangement that the massive risk of me being crushed to death by
an errant double decker passing through a bus station! *Sorry but this
just makes me so cross.

To my mind it is completely stupid to create so much inconvenience for
no demonstrable risk (again my view in case anyone at HQ is reading
this!). Apparently people are working on fixing the problem but as TfL
has no money to do anything I don't see anything changing for a very
long time unless decides the original risk assessment was somehow not
appropriate.

Seems daft. As I said in the original thread, one way of taking this
further might be to submit an FOI request to TfL for documentation/
information about this risk assessment. I suppose another thing
someone could attempt to do is somehow try and raise the issue with
Mayor Boris directly (well at least through his office) - I only say
that because it's the sort of thing that one thinks he wouldn't
approve of, what with his general 'common-sense should rule the day'
type stance that he has been known to adopt (not that I approve of
several elements of this supposed 'common sense', but that's another
matter and I shall not digress on that here and now!).

Yet another option would be to contact a London Assembly Member and
try and drum up a chorus of questions about this issue. One option
might be Victoria Borwick AM, who's a (Londonwide) Conservative member
who sits on the Transport Committee, or otherwise the Chair of the
Assembly's Transport Committee, Caroline Pidgeon, or Valerie Shawcross
the Deputy Chair (FWIW Ms Pidgeon is a Londonwide member). Or indeed
contact them all!

http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/members/borwickv.jsp
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/members/pidgeonc.jsp
http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/members/shawcrossv.jsp

And lest I forget one could take it to London TravelWatch:
http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/

(For obvious reasons I'm not trying to put Paul C forward for this!
But if anyone else is sufficiently irked, there are ways of following
it up.)

And on the subject of the 230, this went over to double deckers at least
5 years ago IIRC. Tottenham spider maps (possibly others?) still show
the route as a hail & ride from Wood Street station to the terminus at
Upper Walthamstow.

It still is hail and ride as far as I know. IIRC none of the residents
on that stretch of route want a bus stop outside their house. The
current arrangement is the honourable compromise and stops then
barricading the road trying to prevent any buses from using the route.

In my utmost naivety I had never really considered that as a reason
why hail & ride might be implemented! Any idea to what an extent hail
& ride is implemented for this reason?
Old September 15th 09, 12:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

As the nearest any of that lot are to Tottenham Hale is Ms Borwick in
Kensington & Chelsea (Caroline Pidgeon and Valerie Shawcross are from sarf
of the river) you may be lucky to get much recognition of the problem from
those Assembly Members, I fear. I'd be inclined to start with Boris. If I
was approaching any of them, I'd try to involve local councillors from
Tottenham too. Tottenham Hale and nearby wards all have Labour
councillors. Details on the LB Haringey web site.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old September 15th 09, 02:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
According to notices placed on stop U immediately outside Tottenham Hale
station, route 123, 230 & W4 heading eastwards are not stopping there due
to congestion. No road works in the area and nothing mentioned on live
travel news on the TfL website?

Any idea what's going on?

And on the subject of the 230, this went over to double deckers at least 5
years ago IIRC. Tottenham spider maps (possibly others?) still show the
route as a hail & ride from Wood Street station to the terminus at Upper
Walthamstow.

--
Phil Richards, London, UK

My word, the NIMBY's of Tottenham certainly seem to have caught
revolutionary fervour!!

DW down under