Old September 18th 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Journey Planner - Long way round?

I have asked the Journey Planner to get me to Fuller's Brewery Corner Gt
West Road and Chiswick Lane) tomorrow. The last 3 legs of the journey
are NLL to Gunnersbury, District to Ravenscourt Park and walk to the
Brewery. It looks to me that Turnham Green and Stamford Brook are both
closer to the brewery and the train usually stops at those stations. So
does anyone know why I am directed to Ravenscourt Park.

Old September 18th 09, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mike Roberts
writes

I have asked the Journey Planner to get me to Fuller's Brewery Corner
Gt West Road and Chiswick Lane) tomorrow. The last 3 legs of the
journey are NLL to Gunnersbury, District to Ravenscourt Park and walk
to the Brewery. It looks to me that Turnham Green and Stamford Brook
are both closer to the brewery and the train usually stops at those
stations. So does anyone know why I am directed to Ravenscourt Park.

I don't know why the Journey Planner suggests Ravenscourt Park (unless
it's assumed you'll then get the 190 bus): Turnham Green is the nearest
station if you're walking the last bit (it's about 20 minutes walk to
the brewery at average speed) although Stamford Brook is not much
different.

Otherwise I'd consider going to Stamford Brook or Ravenscourt Park, take
a short walk to Chiswick High Road and then get the 190 bus in the
direction of Richmond, as this stops close to the brewery. However,
check the times as it only runs every 15 minutes.

--
Paul Terry
Old September 18th 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Roberts" wrote in message

I have asked the Journey Planner to get me to Fuller's Brewery Corner
Gt West Road and Chiswick Lane) tomorrow. The last 3 legs of the
journey are NLL to Gunnersbury, District to Ravenscourt Park and walk
to the Brewery. It looks to me that Turnham Green and Stamford Brook
are both closer to the brewery and the train usually stops at those
stations. So does anyone know why I am directed to Ravenscourt Park.

You can avoid some of these funnies if you check the option "I'd rather
walk if it makes my journey quicker". Otherwise, it'll push you on to a
bus, even if you have to wait longer for it than it would take to walk.

Old September 18th 09, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Mike Roberts
writes

[...]

Thanks for that. If the bus is at the right time it gets included as the
next to last leg (before the shorter final walk). But the quickest
journey offered was as described above. Asking with a shorter walk gets
me NLL to Richmond and 190 bus back and a longer overall journey time! I
will try walking from Turnham Green
Old September 18th 09, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Roberts" wrote in message
Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Mike Roberts
writes

[...]

By the time you've waited for the District and then walked from Turnham
Green how about exit Gunnersbury onto Chiswick High Road, turn right (east)
then right into Burlington Road. Cross Heathfield Terrace then left along
Grosvenor Road to Sutton Lane where right. The simple way is probably then
right down to the A4 and just follow the A4 to Fullers. Alternatively just
before you get to the A4 left into Barrowgate Road; all the way to the end,
right into Dukes Ave, left on the A4.

Old September 18th 09, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Graham Harrison
writes

By the time you've waited for the District and then walked from Turnham
Green how about exit Gunnersbury onto Chiswick High Road, turn right
(east) then right into Burlington Road.

(snip walking route)

As a footnote from someone who lives in the area, I'd say that's fine
for a keen walker, but it would take a good 40 minutes. Also, the
footpath along the A4 suffers from chronic pollution. Another variant
would be to take a bus from Gunnersbury (they're frequent) as far as
Chiswick Lane, and then walk the last 10 minutes down to Old Chiswick.
--
Paul Terry
Old September 18th 09, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Graham Harrison
writes

By the time you've waited for the District and then walked from Turnham
Green how about exit Gunnersbury onto Chiswick High Road, turn right
(east) then right into Burlington Road.

(snip walking route)

As a footnote from someone who lives in the area, I'd say that's fine for
a keen walker, but it would take a good 40 minutes. Also, the footpath
along the A4 suffers from chronic pollution. Another variant would be to
take a bus from Gunnersbury (they're frequent) as far as Chiswick Lane,
and then walk the last 10 minutes down to Old Chiswick.
--
Paul Terry

But by the time you've waited at Gunnersbury and ridden back to TG you could
be well on your way. And, if you're of the era, you can tip your hat to
Tommy Cooper as you go past his house in Barrowgate.

Old September 20th 09, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Graham Harrison wrote:

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Graham Harrison
writes

By the time you've waited for the District and then walked from
Turnham Green how about exit Gunnersbury onto Chiswick High Road,
turn right (east) then right into Burlington Road.

(snip walking route)

As a footnote from someone who lives in the area, I'd say that's fine
for a keen walker, but it would take a good 40 minutes. Also, the
footpath along the A4 suffers from chronic pollution. Another variant
would be to take a bus from Gunnersbury (they're frequent) as far as
Chiswick Lane, and then walk the last 10 minutes down to Old Chiswick.
--
Paul Terry

But by the time you've waited at Gunnersbury and ridden back to TG you
could be well on your way. And, if you're of the era, you can tip your
hat to Tommy Cooper as you go past his house in Barrowgate.

Thanks to everybody who offered solutions and for not all turning up for
an excellent open day at the brewery.

The 2009 Vintage Ale is just a little young but otherwise up to previous
standards. A small helping of bottled Golden Pride was delicious and I
just have to get Fullers to tell me (and not many others) where and when
I will be able to get Vintage and Golden Pride on draught in future.

In the event we got to Harrow Weald just as a 258 bus arrived so stayed
on that to S Harrow, Picc to Ealing Common and then District to TG.
Whole journey took 1:30 compared with the 1:56 Min - Maximum time given
by JP using Overground H&W to Gunnersbury.

MikeR